Squeakin, whistling noise from motherboard MA78G-DS3H

Old December 13th 09, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
franz47

Default Squeakin, whistling noise from motherboard MA78G-DS3H

Motherboard MA78G-DS3H 1 year old, about 7 months only in daily use.
Since yesterday I hear a squeaking, whistling sound with constand frequency from
the motherboard. At first I was afraid the sound would announce impending
harddisk death but definitely the sound does not come from any moving part like
hard disk, fans, DVD-drives, power supply.
What might that be, can I do anything except trying to get a warranty exchange
of the whole board? I don´t feel any interest to set up the computer again after
1 year with another motherboard. The MA78G-DS3H would be still available so
changing that would be the easiest trick.
Franz47

Old December 13th 09, 03:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
TM

"franz47" wrote in message
Motherboard MA78G-DS3H 1 year old, about 7 months only in daily use.
Since yesterday I hear a squeaking, whistling sound with constand
frequency from the motherboard. At first I was afraid the sound would
announce impending harddisk death but definitely the sound does not come
from any moving part like hard disk, fans, DVD-drives, power supply.
What might that be, can I do anything except trying to get a warranty
exchange of the whole board? I don´t feel any interest to set up the
computer again after 1 year with another motherboard. The MA78G-DS3H would
be still available so changing that would be the easiest trick.
Franz47

Check for bulging capacitors.

Old December 14th 09, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

I have a similar issue with a different motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-EX58;
my sound is not constant, it varies (A LOT) depending on what the system
is doing. I hear chirping, whistling, various high pitched (ALMOST
inaudible) tones and, occasionally .... silence.

The sound is almost certainly coming from the magnetics (coils) of the
switching power supply for the CPU that is on the motherboard. The
ferrite cores of one or more of the coils are "vibrating" at very high
frequencies (main power supplies sometimes do this also). It shouldn't
happen, but those coils were not properly "potted" when they were made.

In my opinion it should be covered as a warranty claim, and my board is
still in warranty. The problem is, I am unwilling to be without a
system for 3 weeks, not to mention the HUGE effort involved, so I'm
putting up with it (not happily, however). But a manufacturer might
deny it because, electrically, it works fine (and it does; it is not a
risk to the operational ability of the system, it's just annoying as hell).

Old December 14th 09, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Barry Watzman wrote:
[...]

Some motherboards have software for controlling the operation of Vcore
dynamically. Perhaps removing that software, making changes to settings,
might alter the noise you hear.

(Mentions EPU and D.E.S., available on higher end boards)

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...490&Ite mid=1

Paul

Old December 14th 09, 11:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
franz47

Default Squeakin, whistling noise from motherboard MA78G-DS3H - Solution

Yesterday I already thought about another possibility. When changing the booting
sequence in the BIOS I had also gone through other BIOS values and changed the
temperature and fan alarms from off to on. The sound came from the little sound
gadget, which nowadays replaces the case loudspeaker and is plugged onto the
motherboards where you attached the case loudspeaker cable in earlier days. The
AMD CPU and mobo software keeps the fans standing still when temp is low so
some of these alarms, only the fan under the HDD is on all the time. This makes
a perfectly quiet PC. I turned the alarms in the BIOS off and the sound was gone
again.

Thanks for all the input.
Franz47

Old December 14th 09, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

franz47 wrote:
Yesterday I already thought about another possibility. When changing the
booting sequence in the BIOS I had also gone through other BIOS values
and changed the temperature and fan alarms from off to on. The sound
came from the little sound gadget, which nowadays replaces the case
loudspeaker and is plugged onto the motherboards where you attached the
case loudspeaker cable in earlier days. The AMD CPU and mobo software
keeps the fans standing still when temp is low so some of these alarms,
only the fan under the HDD is on all the time. This makes a perfectly
quiet PC. I turned the alarms in the BIOS off and the sound was gone again.

Thanks for all the input.
Franz47

Thanks for posting back. It must be a lot quieter where you are now :-)

Paul

Old December 21st 09, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
tlviewer

franz47 wrote:
Motherboard MA78G-DS3H 1 year old, about 7 months only in daily use.
Since yesterday I hear a squeaking, whistling sound with constand
frequency from the motherboard. At first I was afraid the sound would
announce impending harddisk death but definitely the sound does not come
from any moving part like hard disk, fans, DVD-drives, power supply.
What might that be, can I do anything except trying to get a warranty
exchange of the whole board? I don´t feel any interest to set up the
computer again after 1 year with another motherboard. The MA78G-DS3H
would be still available so changing that would be the easiest trick.
Franz47

Barry,

I have the ep45-ud3r. If this noise is like that coming from a bunch
of bird nests in springtime, then here's what fixed it on my board.
Boot up, go into the bios del, and navigate to the Integrated
Peripheral menu. Then set C1 state control and E.I.S.T. to disabled.
Doing this will turn off power throttling. If you monitor your CPU
Core voltage, you will see constant.

--
Mark
Old February 22nd 10, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
John Doe

Barry Watzman WatzmanNOSPAM neo.rr.com wrote:

Well, unfortunately, that is not my problem.

And you think somebody gives a ****?

Stop top posting in a technical help group, moron.

From: Barry Watzman WatzmanNOSPAM neo.rr.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:05:04 -0500