Memory problem w/EP45-UD3P

Old February 4th 10, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Jay

Default Memory problem w/EP45-UD3P

I'm going crazy trying populate my new EP45-UD3P with RAM. I'm trying to
use two 2Gb, 1066Mhz memory modules. Every pair I've tried (Crucial,
GSkill, Corsair) fails memory test. I finally have it working using two
Corsair 2Gb 800Mhz modules, but I'm concerned with its ongoing stability.

I read on some forum that this MB doesn't work well with two 2Gb memory
modules. Is this correct? Am I forced to go to two 1Gb modules? How about
4 X 1Gb modules? Is there any known workaround?

--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to reply by email)

Win the War Against Breast Cancer.
Knowing the facts could save your life.
http://www.breastthermography.info
Old February 5th 10, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
gdp

On 2/4/2010 11:25 AM, Ed Jay wrote:
I'm going crazy trying populate my new EP45-UD3P with RAM. I'm trying to
use two 2Gb, 1066Mhz memory modules. Every pair I've tried (Crucial,
GSkill, Corsair) fails memory test. I finally have it working using two
Corsair 2Gb 800Mhz modules, but I'm concerned with its ongoing stability.

I read on some forum that this MB doesn't work well with two 2Gb memory
modules. Is this correct? Am I forced to go to two 1Gb modules? How about
4 X 1Gb modules? Is there any known workaround?

I have the same motherboard, ver 1.0, and have a Q9550 with two GSkill
800 MHz 2GB modules. It's running a distributed computing project that
is very memory intensive with no errors. I have not tried 2 x 2 GB of
DDR2 1066 MHz.

What timings and voltage did you use for those 1066 MHz modules?
Old February 5th 10, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Jay

gdp wrote:

On 2/4/2010 11:25 AM, Ed Jay wrote:
I'm going crazy trying populate my new EP45-UD3P with RAM. I'm trying to
use two 2Gb, 1066Mhz memory modules. Every pair I've tried (Crucial,
GSkill, Corsair) fails memory test. I finally have it working using two
Corsair 2Gb 800Mhz modules, but I'm concerned with its ongoing stability.

I read on some forum that this MB doesn't work well with two 2Gb memory
modules. Is this correct? Am I forced to go to two 1Gb modules? How about
4 X 1Gb modules? Is there any known workaround?

I have the same motherboard, ver 1.0, and have a Q9550 with two GSkill
800 MHz 2GB modules. It's running a distributed computing project that
is very memory intensive with no errors. I have not tried 2 x 2 GB of
DDR2 1066 MHz.

I note that each time I tried increasing the memory clock above 800 MHz,
the memory failed. Not only the GSkill, but the others as well. The
Corsair 800's that are in the box now, seem to be working. I am using the
GSkill in my Shuttle machine, but at 800 MHz.

What timings and voltage did you use for those 1066 MHz modules?

I don't remember what the settings were, but the modules had the timing
written on the, and I used both GSkill's timings or auto (SPD). Voltage
was 1.85V.

Old February 5th 10, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Jay

:
:I read on some forum that this MB doesn't work well with two 2Gb memory
:modules. Is this correct? Am I forced to go to two 1Gb modules? How about
:4 X 1Gb modules? Is there any known workaround?

I have version 1.1 of that same board purchased some time last year with a
Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ .

Identical.

Since day one I have been running 4x2GB (8GB
total) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline PC2-6400 (DDR2 800) sticks with absolutely
no problems. I have left all the motherboard memory related settings at
default and CPU-Z shows it running at 400MHZ using 5/4/4/12/2T timings at
1.8V. I originally had 2 of those modules in a Gigabyte P35 motherboard with
the same CPU running XP. When I upgraded to the P45 board and windows 7 64
bit I added the 2 additional modules.

The common denominator among all the working setups using 2X2Gb modules
seems to that they are all clocked at 800 MHz. Including mine. The specs
tell me I can go to 1066 MHz, but each time I try to clock above 800 MHz,
I get memory failures.

I just checked my order info at Newegg and they currently show those modules
as Currently Unavailable. It does carry a 5 star rating on Newegg with 206
reviews. Checking further I see it now has a new stock number on Newegg. It
looks like Mushkin added a "B" to the end of the part number so Newegg
changed their stock number.

Hre's the link to the new part number with no reviews yet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...82E16820226112

and here's a link to the old part number to read reviews:

They do seem to be a bit pricier than other but if they work...

Good luck,

Thanks for the info and links. The price is a bit high, but still
reasonable. Great reviews.

Only one little problem...they're 800 MHz modules.

As I mentioned in my OP, I've read a lot of comments about the board not
wanting to work at 1066 MHz using 2X2 Gb modules, but working great at
1066 MHz with 2X1 Gb modules. I think on a Windows machine the increased
bandwidth offered by the higher speed is more important than the extra
1 Gb of RAM.

When I followed your links I was reminded that I had two 1 Gb modules
waiting in my basket. $70 at my door. I'm going to pop for it.

Old February 6th 10, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Jay

Ed Jay wrote:

me/2 wrote:

[...]

It worked out of the box.

Old February 6th 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ed Jay

me/2 wrote:

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 18:29:16 -0800, Ed Jay wrote:

:Ed Jay wrote:
:
:me/2 wrote:
:
:On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:25:54 -0800, Ed Jay wrote:
:
::I'm going crazy trying populate my new EP45-UD3P with RAM. I'm trying to
::use two 2Gb, 1066Mhz memory modules. Every pair I've tried (Crucial,
::GSkill, Corsair) fails memory test. I finally have it working using two
::Corsair 2Gb 800Mhz modules, but I'm concerned with its ongoing stability.
::
:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146731
:
[...]

Great. Glad to hear that you got something that works for you.

Maybe some day if I get bored I'll try bumping mine up to 1066 to see what
happens. ;-)

I'll be waiting here to help you out. :-))