Removing RAID0 from a GA 8KNXP v2

Old March 23rd 09, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Brian Griffin

Default Removing RAID0 from a GA 8KNXP v2

At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across two
SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single WD
Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the RAID
and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one drive for
the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried various
combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious but to no
avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still lead me step by
step through the conversion?

Old March 23rd 09, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
OldMan

You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
none raid bios settings

Old March 23rd 09, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Brian Griffin

Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.
Cheers,
Brian

Old March 24th 09, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Onsokumaru

You should be able to create a disk image.

Break RAID, then restore image to single disk, assuming it's on the same
machine.

I haven't done it with your particular chipset though.

Old March 24th 09, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
OldMan

I pre date you
The other post (Image) is a good idea

Old March 28th 09, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Brian Griffin

After several days of trial and error, I have (partially) done what I set
out to do. To break the RAID, I had to CTRL+I to enter the ICH5R RAID
utility, and used this to "break" the RAID or whatever the word was. After
further trial and error, I have now got XP working on one of the drives that
originally formed the RAID, unfortunately this drive is now labelled "I". I
have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given them.
The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive C,
which is incidentally "active"?
Cheers,
Brian

Old August 8th 09, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry OGrady[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:17:18 -0000, "OldMan"
wrote:

You cannot remove raid 0 you have to clean install your o/s & programs,
setting your sys to none raid environment. Refer to your mobo manual, for
none raid bios settings

While true please don't top post.

"Brian Griffin" wrote in message
At the moment I have a Gigabyte GA 8KNXP v2 with an ICH5R RAID 0 across
two SATA WD Raptor 36gb HDDs for OS, progs and data. I also have a single
WD Caviar 250gb HDD on the Sil3112 for backup. I want to get rid of the
RAID and just use the raptors as two separate drives on the ICH5R, one
drive for the OS and programs and the other drive for data. I have tried
various combinations of options in the bios, all of which seemed obvious
but to no avail. Can anyone put me on the right track or better still lead
me step by step through the conversion?

==========
"Christians, it is needless to say, utterly detest each other. They
slander each other constantly with the vilest forms of abuse and cannot
come to any sort of agreement in their teachings. Each sect brands its
own, fills the head of its own with deceitful nonsense, and makes perfect
little pigs of those it wins over to its side."
[R.J.Hoffmann]
Old August 8th 09, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry OGrady[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:29:34 -0000, "Brian Griffin"
wrote:

Hi Oldman, although at 57 myself perhaps I should say fellow old man.
Thanks for the post, I'll investigate further and get back to you.

Follow proper posting standards by not top posting.

Cheers,
Brian

Old August 8th 09, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry OGrady[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:33:27 -0000, "Brian Griffin"
wrote:

After several days of trial and error, I have (partially) done what I set
out to do. To break the RAID, I had to CTRL+I to enter the ICH5R RAID
utility, and used this to "break" the RAID or whatever the word was. After
further trial and error, I have now got XP working on one of the drives that
originally formed the RAID, unfortunately this drive is now labelled "I". I
have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given them.
The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive C,
which is incidentally "active"?

First of all don'y top post. It messes up the attributions.

You need to make the drive you want to boot from C: then do a fresh
install on that drive.
If you change the drive letter Windows will no longer boot.

Cheers,
Brian