Can't enable AGP on my Radeon 9800 Pro

Old November 13th 03, 11:54 AM
Sébastien Benoit

Default Can't enable AGP on my Radeon 9800 Pro

Hi,

I've just installed a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro/128 on my Asus A7N8X-X
motherboard and can't get the AGP acceleration to work. The rest of my
config is Athlon 1800XP with 512 Mb DDR2100 133 Mhz, Win XP SP1, with all
patches/updates and latest Asus BIOS, ATI Catalyst 3.6 drivers.

All the AGP settings seem to be correctly configured in the BIOS, AGP is
automatically set to x4 and no fast write in the ATI Smartgart utility, but
the AGP memory test utility tells me that no AGP memory is found. Could it
be because of the slow RAM?

Any help appreciated.

TIA,

Seb

Old November 13th 03, 02:16 PM
Skid

Check your bios settings and make sure you're using the latest AGP drivers
for the Nforce chipset on your motherboard. The card is capable of 8X AGP if
everything is configured properly. Ram shouldn't have anything to do with
it.

Also try going to start/run and type SMARTGART. That will launch an applet
with more tests and options than the tab in display properties.

Old November 13th 03, 02:46 PM
Sébastien Benoit

Running the smartgart applet didn't help either, after reboot it always
reverts to deactivated AGP settings.

Where can I download the nforce AGP drivers only? I tried installing the
nforce 3.13 package but it caused a major system crash, so I restored the
previous configuration.

Seb

Old November 13th 03, 03:11 PM
Skid

Sorry, I can't help you with NForce drivers. I'm using an Intel board at the
moment.

If you can't find help in this newsgroup, try the forums at www.rage3d.com

There are many helpful 9800 owners there, and several of them have the same
motherboard as you.

You might also want to try running DXDIAG or Sandra Max to see if they also
report AGP disabled. It could be that you are getting a false reading from
SMARTGART.

Finally, if that is the only problem you're having, you might just disable
SMARTGART as an Windows XP service, using the administrative tools.

At that point, enabling 8X AGP in bios should make it work in Windows, even
if SMARTGART doesn't approve ;)

Old November 13th 03, 09:47 PM
John Hall

Aha! I think the major crash you had indicates a hardware setup problem. I
have the same motherboard and the installation of the 3.13 Nforce package
should go smoothly. Make sure that you enable 8XAGP in the bios and fast
writes. Also uninstall any chipset drivers that you currently have
installed. Also make sure that you have the correct bios installed for this
motherboard. There are a couple of bios' floating around depending on what
version of the motherboard that you have. Check the version of mobo and go
find the bios for that version and install it. That should get the mobo
chipset working properly. If you have the right bios installed, and the
proper settings in the bios then you should have no problem installing the
latest Nvidia Nforce drivers. Also make sure that you have the proper
drivers for your operating system. If none of this works, then your mobo,
or at least your chipset, may be toast.

JK

Old November 14th 03, 08:31 AM
Sébastien Benoit

The device manager indicates that the Radeon is set on PCI bus 2, is that
right or a hardware problem? Or should it read AGP?

Seb

Old November 14th 03, 08:56 AM
Ben Pope

Sébastien Benoit wrote:
The device manager indicates that the Radeon is set on PCI bus 2, is
that right or a hardware problem? Or should it read AGP?

Thats probably right.

If you view devices by connection you'll see the PCI bus, then the AGP to
PCI Bridge, then the 9800.

Ben

Old November 14th 03, 10:13 AM
Ben Pope

Ed wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:31:12 +0100, "Sébastien Benoit"
wrote:

The device manager indicates that the Radeon is set on PCI bus 2, is
that right or a hardware problem? Or should it read AGP?

Seb

I just have a plain A7N8X v2.00, running WinXP Pro.

For display adapters/properties it shows
PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0
PCI bus 2, device 0, function 1 (for Secondary).

My Deluxe shows it on PCI bus 3... the 3Com NIC is on it's own PCI bus.

Ben

Old November 14th 03, 11:03 AM
Ben Pope

Ed wrote:
Only have the Nvidia LAN on mine, properties show,
PCI bus 0, device 4, function 0
Never paid attention to that part, maybe you could clue me in on what
it means. ;p

If you view devices by connection it'll show you how it works (sort of).
Basically there are multiple PCI buses in the system, with multiple devices
hanging of of each and with multiple functions per device. They all need
numbering in order to be accessed.

In terms of the PCI bus and it's hierarchy, your 9800 Pro (PCI bus 2, device
0, function 0,1) has two functions (it's basically two seperate cards in
one), is the first PCI device on the 3rd PCI bus (the AGP bus is connected
to a PCI bus via a "bridge", logically, at least)

I've always just looked at the IRQ/DMA lists.

Depends what you want to know really. The actual numbers on the PCI bus are
fairly arbitrary and matter little to the end user... the most interesting
aspect is which devices share a PCI bus.

Ben