HP Color Laserjet 8500 Tray 1 "Clear Input Jam"

Old December 22nd 07, 08:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rick Kovalcik

Default HP Color Laserjet 8500 Tray 1 "Clear Input Jam"

I recently (Friday) picked up a used HP Color Laserjet 8500. It
seems to work very well except when feeding from tray 1 - especially
heavy paprer. It often gives "Clear Input Jam" even before loading
the paper. It seems that the paper guide goes up and then "Clear
Input Jam" is reported. Does anyone have any ideas? Or ideas to
figure out what sensor it might be and whether there is any hope of my
replacing it myself? Thanks.
Old December 22nd 07, 02:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rick Kovalcik

On Dec 22, 3:15 am, Rick Kovalcik wrote:
I recently (Friday) picked up a used HP Color Laserjet 8500. It
seems to work very well except when feeding from tray 1 - especially
heavy paprer. It often gives "Clear Input Jam" even before loading
the paper. It seems that the paper guide goes up and then "Clear
Input Jam" is reported. Does anyone have any ideas? Or ideas to
figure out what sensor it might be and whether there is any hope of my
replacing it myself? Thanks.

To clarify, there is paper in tray 1, it starts to print from tray 1,
by raising the paper guide / metal plate (I'm not sure what it is
called), and gets "Clear Input Jam" apparently before starting to feed
any paper in.
Old December 22nd 07, 07:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Fred McKenzie

In article
,
Rick Kovalcik wrote:

Or ideas to
figure out what sensor it might be and whether there is any hope of my
replacing it myself?

Rick-

The service manual may have the the information you need. One site that
has manuals is
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/HP_22.html
where I see "Hp Color Laserjet 8500 And 8550 Service Manual.part01.rar"
listed.

Fred
Old December 22nd 07, 08:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Rick Kovalcik wrote:
I recently (Friday) picked up a used HP Color Laserjet 8500. It
seems to work very well except when feeding from tray 1 - especially
heavy paprer. It often gives "Clear Input Jam" even before loading
the paper. It seems that the paper guide goes up and then "Clear
Input Jam" is reported. Does anyone have any ideas? Or ideas to
figure out what sensor it might be and whether there is any hope of my
replacing it myself? Thanks.

I suspect you have a worn tray one pick up roller. This is indicated if the
printer tries to feed paper from tray 1 and the paper does not move or moves
only a tiny bit. Is the roller turning and trying to feed paper? If it is you
can remove the roller (squeeze the little tab at the left end) and wipe it with
a damp cloth thoroughly. If that improves it you will need a new roller. They
are easy to replace. Ideally the separation pad (immediately behind the roller
and in contact with it) should also be replaced. Sensors almost never fail, I
have never seen one that did in many years. What I suspect is happening is that
the tray lifts and the roller turns but does not grip the paper.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old December 22nd 07, 09:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rick Kovalcik

On Dec 22, 3:54 pm, Tony wrote:
Rick Kovalcik wrote:
[...]

Thanks again! I'll try that.
Old December 23rd 07, 08:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
justmanuals

On Dec 22, 2:00 pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article
,
Rick Kovalcik wrote:

Or ideas to
figure out what sensor it might be and whether there is any hope of my
replacing it myself?

Rick-

Theservicemanual may have the the information you need. One site that
hasmanualsishttp://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/HP_22.html
where I see "Hp Color Laserjet 8500 And 8550ServiceManual.part01.rar"
listed.

Fred

Another site that has it is http://www.justmanuals.com $10.79 and
instant download.