Samsung QVO -- correction: it's not slow

Old August 4th 20, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Samsung QVO -- correction: it's not slow

Other than a quick couple file copies, not sure what happened after I
formatted it. I put together a 250G copy operation and moved it onto
the QVO and into the computer it's intended, and it was 15% faster
than the above format and a few fast-check writes, from a mechanical
(or at the time then a SSD drive), 30% faster writing from another
SSD, and 60% faster for about the first 10 minutes, or about an 100G
accumulative whereupon the QVO dropped by 30% thruput speeds, possibly
to what "it is" at this point. Normal, to say, for a SSD in my little
SATA world.

Temperatures were unexpected. I'd just stomped on HP for being hot.
The QVO, perhaps as many in the SSD field, at sustained copying ran
133F, dropped to 118F after, apparently to resides at 109F where it's
now moved into the other computer for an audio server.

The other Samsung, a 2T mechanical drive, suspecting it for brief
source audio interruptions, (they can get very nasty on progressive
deterioration), looking over its SMART table, the reallocation
even/pending error count was high;- reallocated sectors, another
field, would also have been off although not perhaps indicatively as
damnably.

A five-hour ChkDsk lowered both fields, and I'm back to listening for
suspect controller or drive recovery pauses. Reallocation is one
thing, pending errors can be worse ... eminently failing media.

Other than that, the 1T QVO seems to be accessed more often (HDD
activity LED) than with the same files, and how they were accessed,
less often, on the 256G HP unit I'd put temporarily on the same cable.
Old August 4th 20, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 20:00:48 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Other than that, the 1T QVO seems to be accessed more often (HDD
activity LED) than with the same files, and how they were accessed,
less often, on the 256G HP unit I'd put temporarily on the same cable.

That stopped. Probably the caching library update settings I'd
changed to be less stringent on the audio engine. Thus and therefore,
it must be a SSD.