mystery key on laptop

Old December 26th 19, 05:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default mystery key on laptop

I was given a used Toshiba L500 laptop, and noticed one of the keys seemed to
be stuck down. There is no spring under it. I looked up replacement parts
keyboards and they all seem to be like that. The key has a rectangle with
12 dots inside. It is between the num lock and scroll lock keys.
The user manual does not mention it. I have two other Toshiba laptops
(different models) and they don't have this key.
Any ideas? I would have thought it would be left black if it is unused.

Old December 26th 19, 08:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I was given a used Toshiba L500 laptop, and noticed one of the keys seemed to
be stuck down. There is no spring under it. I looked up replacement parts
keyboards and they all seem to be like that. The key has a rectangle with
12 dots inside. It is between the num lock and scroll lock keys.
The user manual does not mention it. I have two other Toshiba laptops
(different models) and they don't have this key.
Any ideas? I would have thought it would be left black if it is unused.

Page 116

http://web1.toshiba.ca/support/isg/m...lishManual.pdf

The symbol on it, implies the key has something
to do with the numeric keypad.

The text in that section, suggests that the unit comes
with either a 104 key or a 105 key keyboard. If that
key is a "blank", then maybe it's a 104 key unit,
and you'd need to find a 105 key unit or find out
what country gets the 105 key variant, to find
pictures of what modifier key is placed there.

Paul