Win2K page file

Old May 5th 04, 12:04 PM
R Thompson

Default Win2K page file

This isn't an overclocking issue, but this forum seems to be one of the best
places for accurate info..

I have 2 HD's, a 30G as C: (5G), E: (5G), and F: (20G), and a second HD on
the secondary IDE channel as D: (20G). I have Win2K Pro SP4 on C: and
little else with a 2M page file (minimum allowed) and a static page file on
F: of 1282M. When looking in My Computer or Explorer they show 2 page files
on F: of the same size but under My Computer/Advanced/Performance Options it
shows just the small file on C: and one file on F:

Any thoughts?

Ga-7vax
Maxtor 30G Primary IDE
Maxtor 20G Secondary IDE
512M PC2700 XMS
ATI 9800 Pro

--
Rob Thompson

Old May 6th 04, 04:02 PM
Hippy Paul

"R Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

Well such flattery will get you anywhere, so as it is a performance related
issue, I will have a stab - as system tweaking is as much a part of getting
a speed increase as playing with hardware.

First thing is - why have you got a 2mb swap file on drive C? - the 2mb
minimum is for the total swap file space - not per partition. You could
completely get rid of that by setting the values for minimum and maximum to
zero (or blank) for drive C and using the "SET" command. This would leave
you with the static file on drive F.

I am not sure but NT/Win2k uses the swap files in the order it finds them,
so unless it is told otherwise it will be using that 2mb then trying to find
more space, either swap file number 2 or maybe it has had a bit of a panic
and made up an overflow for itself - I am rusty on 2k swap files - had a
bit of a stint using a ram disk for the swap file but been using XP for
ages -

So try getting rid of the C swap file and seeing if one swap file on F goes,
although I am confused how 2 swap files can exist on the same partition - as
presumably they have the same name and are in the same root directory. So
maybe after clearing the entry for drive C, reboot and try running disk
checking software, and then manually deleting the swap files if both are
still there - if they are in use it will not let you. However, something is
wrong with the file system if 2 files with the same name in the same place.

Old May 7th 04, 02:27 AM
Hippy Paul

"R Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

[I am posting this for a second time as it has not shown up on my ISP
newsgroups 10 hours after I posted it, normally it takes a couple of
minutes - so it may already be on the news groups and I just can not see
it - good old BT.]

Well such flattery will get you anywhere, so as it is a performance related
issue, I will have a stab - as system tweaking is as much a part of getting
a speed increase as playing with hardware.

First thing is - why have you got a 2mb swap file on drive C? - the 2mb
minimum is for the total swap file space - not per partition. You could
completely get rid of that by setting the values for minimum and maximum to
zero (or blank) for drive C and using the "SET" command. This would leave
you with the static file on drive F.

[The only reason I can think of why you may want a small swap file on drive
C is so you can read any memory dump files - but I have never met anyone
who does read them]

Old May 9th 04, 02:06 PM
R Thompson

"Hippy Paul" wrote in message

"R Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

Well, the two swap files are of my making...I have Win98 on the second HD
that I keep around and the other file is the Win98 swap file. I found a
registry entry that will make Win98 use the Win2K file if I want it to.

Thanks a lot for the info though.

Acer Veriton 5100 & Win2K BSOD on Install Noozer General 3 January 30th 05 08:15 PM
Need Help Understanding OC results for 'old' Celery not liking Win2K pgtr Overclocking 35 July 10th 04 12:26 AM
page file position Steve James General 5 February 11th 04 03:23 PM
boot-up problem Dave General 1 January 11th 04 02:38 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM