overclock 2000+ to ?

Old December 19th 03, 05:40 AM
SL

Default overclock 2000+ to ?

Hello group,

I have an Abit KD7A motherboard with an AMD T'bird chip 2000+ 266. I have a
Volcano 9 fant for cooling. It does excellent at factory settings. But I
want to get a little more for my video card to work with for some gaming.

My cpu is being recognized autuomatically via with my KD7A and a WinXP Pro
install at the correct settings. But I have yet to try to overclock
anything with this current combo yet.

What are some reasonable overclock settings? I have some mixed (3 sticks)
sticks of pc2100 ram that I assume is my weak link in overclocking my
current combo.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks group,
SL

Old December 19th 03, 06:29 AM
SL

Horrible first post, sorry.

Ran CPU-Z as found in a thread in here. Here is what it reported:

Cpu 2000+
CPU FSB Clock (Mhz) -- 133
Ratio---------------------4:2:1
Multiplier Factor---------x12.5

Power Supply:
Cpu Core Voltage-----1.600v
AGP Voltage----------1.55v
DDR Voltage----------2.60v
NB Voltage------------2.65v

I also failed to mention the video card is my Ati 9500pro 128 (not the
modable one). I also have all upates for all hardware/software to date.

The only thing suspect in the CPU-Z report is this:

I have a KT400...it reports KT600. I also have an AMD Thunderbird...it
reports AMD Thoroughbred. Could that be errant info? Ive run other
diagnostic tests before, but did not get the Thoroughbred results before.

Thanks all,
SL
. ..

Old December 19th 03, 09:06 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 05:29:15 +0000, SL wrote:

Horrible first post, sorry.

Ran CPU-Z as found in a thread in here. Here is what it reported:

Cpu 2000+
CPU FSB Clock (Mhz) -- 133
Ratio---------------------4:2:1
Multiplier Factor---------x12.5

Power Supply:
Cpu Core Voltage-----1.600v
AGP Voltage----------1.55v
DDR Voltage----------2.60v
NB Voltage------------2.65v

I also failed to mention the video card is my Ati 9500pro 128 (not the
modable one). I also have all upates for all hardware/software to date.

The only thing suspect in the CPU-Z report is this:

I have a KT400...it reports KT600. I also have an AMD Thunderbird...it
reports AMD Thoroughbred. Could that be errant info? Ive run other
diagnostic tests before, but did not get the Thoroughbred results before.

They don't make a 2000+ thunderbird. So you either have a 2000+ Palomino,
Tbred A core, Tbred B core, or you don't have a 2000+. Check cpuid to
see what's in there. Looking at vcore of 1.60v, it's looks like a tbred
unless you changed the voltage from default. Raise vcore to 1.65v, change
multiplier to 13.5 and see if it reports a 2200+. If it does, then change
multiplier to 15 and see if you get a 2400+. if it won't boot at that, you
perobably have a Tbred A core and won't be able to go much over 1900MHz.

Old December 19th 03, 03:37 PM
SL

Here is mo
AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred
Family 6
Ext. Family 7
Model 8
Ext. Model 8
Stepping 0
Revision A0
Technology 0.13u

I will try to use some of the multiplier/voltages you suggested. Thanks for
the tips. Do you also have any good sites to recommend on the matter?
There seem to be a lot of hits using google.

Thanks again,
SL

news

Old December 19th 03, 06:21 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:37:51 +0000, SL wrote:

Here is mo
AMD Athlon XP
Thoroughbred
Family 6
Ext. Family 7
Model 8
Ext. Model 8
Stepping 0
Revision A0
Technology 0.13u

I will try to use some of the multiplier/voltages you suggested. Thanks
for the tips. Do you also have any good sites to recommend on the
matter? There seem to be a lot of hits using google.

It's a Tbred A core. cpuid 680 (Family Model,Stepping). Shouldn't have a
problem running it as a 2200+ (1800MHz). Anything higher than that will
be hit or miss. There's more info in the site below.

Old December 23rd 03, 10:49 PM
SL

Hello Wes,

I gave it a quick shot this morning. I tried booting using "user defined"
settings via my bios (latest flash for KD7A). I set it at a 1.650 Vcore and
set the multiplier at 13.5.

It did boot almost fully at that setting. I could recognize the mouse
pointer, but that was about it. I reset to factory settings for my chip. I
then tried using the computers settings it had (again in bios) for a 2200+
chip. The settings were what you recommended with the exception of the
Vcore stayed at its 1.600v setting. I did not get past the POST. I had to
reset the cmos to alter the settings back default. The monitor was blank,
so I had to.

I did go to the link you provided, nice. But like I said, It was a quick
attempt. I had to go to work

Anyways, got back home and posted the results. Might my restriction be my
generic chips of pc2100? Or how about the only other gizmo in a pci slot,
the SBlive Value card?

Thanks,
SL
news

Old December 24th 03, 06:47 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:49:20 +0000, SL wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
It's a Tbred A core. cpuid 680 (Family Model,Stepping). Shouldn't have a
problem running it as a 2200+ (1800MHz). Anything higher than that will
be hit or miss. There's more info in the site below.

I gave it a quick shot this morning. I tried booting using "user defined"
settings via my bios (latest flash for KD7A). I set it at a 1.650 Vcore and
set the multiplier at 13.5.

It did boot almost fully at that setting. I could recognize the mouse
pointer, but that was about it.

Then try the same settings with more vcore until it's stable and boots and
runs. Use a boot cd or something besides the HD while tesing so you don't
screw up your OS install. Personally, I use a Memtest boot cd. When it
passes that is the only time I let it boot from the HD. it may be ok at
1.675v or it may take up to 1.75v. Some people will go on up to 1.85v or
higher, but I don't like to run mine more than .1v over the default for
the speed of the cpu I'm trying to reach. Default for a 2200+ A core is
1.65v.

I reset to factory settings for my chip. I then tried using the
computers settings it had (again in bios) for a 2200+ chip. The
settings were what you recommended with the exception of the Vcore
stayed at its 1.600v setting. I did not get past the POST. I had to
reset the cmos to alter the settings back default. The monitor was
blank, so I had to.

Some (most?) Abit boards have a Speed Error Hold setting in the bios. Make
sure it's disabled if you want to use a setting other than the actual cpu
or that's what it means. It won't boot, but hold.:-)

Anyways, got back home and posted the results. Might my restriction be
my generic chips of pc2100? Or how about the only other gizmo in a pci
slot, the SBlive Value card?

Wouldn't worry about the ram unless you start messing with the fsb. You
realize your not going to get a lot more speed out of this cpu. A cores
just don't overclock much. Your default speed is 1666Mhz as a 2000+, so
we're only talking about another 134MHZ. if you can't get it to work at
13.5x133 try 13x133.

Old December 24th 03, 04:05 PM
SL

I like the boot cd idea. I use the cd boot method on the few new HD's ive
used for a WinXP install. I googled Memtest and see what I believe your
talking about. Is it like a bootable floppy? If so, I will try.
Unfortunatly, I have only one lowly single cdr left until I go to the store.
So, I dont want to make a mistake in creating a Memtest Bootable CD. Is
there a simple method for creating one. I do almost all my burning with
Nero 5.5. Will that suffice as the burning software for this?

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:49:20 +0000, SL wrote:

news

Old December 24th 03, 10:01 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:05:41 +0000, SL wrote:

I like the boot cd idea. I use the cd boot method on the few new HD's ive
used for a WinXP install. I googled Memtest and see what I believe your
talking about. Is it like a bootable floppy? If so, I will try.
Unfortunatly, I have only one lowly single cdr left until I go to the store.
So, I dont want to make a mistake in creating a Memtest Bootable CD. Is
there a simple method for creating one. I do almost all my burning with
Nero 5.5. Will that suffice as the burning software for this?

I use Linux. I use command line dd command to copy a boot image to floppy.
For CD's I use one of several frontends for CDrecord. I'm sure Nero can do
the same, but I haven't used it. Some where you would need to tell it that
it's an image, and not to copy as a file.

Old December 25th 03, 01:21 AM
SL

I do know nero offers an image copy in addition to a typical file copy
function. But where are the necessary files to be found for this? Do you
have an addy?

SL
news