HP Pavilion 7420 - motherboard jumpers - TIA

Old June 11th 04, 07:26 PM
Kern

Default HP Pavilion 7420 - motherboard jumpers - TIA

Anyone have a layout or full explanation of "all" the jumpers on the
motherboard for this system? I need to know what jumpers J8B1 and J9B1
are for and what the normal pinning for these is.
This looks like it was made by Intel for HP but I can't be certain
short of taking the motherboard out and looking at the FCC number on
the back (if there is one). Btw, this 7420 is HP model number D5248A.
Old June 11th 04, 08:01 PM
Pen

Here's what HP has, but there's no J8 or J9 just J1.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ame= bph03549

. 3.44...

Old June 11th 04, 09:25 PM
steven67@

Kern wrote:

Anyone have a layout or full explanation of "all" the jumpers on the
motherboard for this system? I need to know what jumpers J8B1 and J9B1
are for and what the normal pinning for these is.
This looks like it was made by Intel for HP but I can't be certain
short of taking the motherboard out and looking at the FCC number on
the back (if there is one). Btw, this 7420 is HP model number D5248A.

..

It's an OEM Intel RU430HX. You can find the Intel Technical Product
Specification and Specification Update he
http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...ex.htm#ru430hx

J8B1 is a Soft-Off Power Supply connector. J9B1 is not listed; I think
you may have misread this marking on the board.

Old June 12th 04, 06:49 PM
Kern

"steven67@" wrote in
:

.

It's an OEM Intel RU430HX. You can find the Intel Technical Product
Specification and Specification Update he
http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...ex.htm#ru430hx

J8B1 is a Soft-Off Power Supply connector. J9B1 is not listed; I think
you may have misread this marking on the board.

The J9B1 jumper is indirectly referenced on the mobo drawing as a

Flash Recovery jumper. And that is the only place it is referenced.
This is a 6 pin jumper and how or if it is supposed to be used I guess
becomes a guessing game if you feel so inclined. But I haven't seen
anything that says that this mobo has a flashable BIOS so I gues it's
moot point.

Now for the more interesting question (to me). How did you figure
out that this board was an RU430HX? This board is not listed in Intels
supported boards in their desktop motherboards support area.
Thank you for the quick reply. It is much appreciated.

Old June 12th 04, 10:58 PM
steven67@

Kern wrote:

"steven67@" wrote in
:

Kern wrote:

[...]

Three pins on one side of J9B1 are for BIOS recovery. The normal setting
would be pins 1-2. Moving the shunt to pins 2-3 would enable BIOS recovery
mode. BIOS Recovery instructions:
http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...dardbios.htm#6

The three pins on the other side of J9B1 would be for BOOT Block write
protect. The default position would be pins 4-5(protect). Moving the shunt
to pins 5-6 would allow the BOOT Block to be programmed.

The RU430HX is not listed in Intel's support area, because there were no
retail versions. It was an OEM-only board. Intel does not provide end-user
support for OEM boards.

Old June 13th 04, 07:26 PM
Kern

"steven67@" wrote in
:

Three pins on one side of J9B1 are for BIOS recovery. The normal
setting would be pins 1-2. Moving the shunt to pins 2-3 would enable
BIOS recovery mode. BIOS Recovery instructions:
http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...dardbios.htm#6

The three pins on the other side of J9B1 would be for BOOT Block write
protect. The default position would be pins 4-5(protect). Moving the
shunt to pins 5-6 would allow the BOOT Block to be programmed.

The RU430HX is not listed in Intel's support area, because there were
no retail versions. It was an OEM-only board. Intel does not provide
end-user support for OEM boards.

Your info on the J9 jumper is most appreciated. Hopefully that will
enable the boot screen to return as it is currently not coming up.

But could you please tell me where you found the jumper positions
information?
It is not shown in the web page at the URL you gave and using search
terms such as "Flash Recovery" were unsuccessful.

I thank you very much for all the information you have provided. I would
never have found this on my own.

Old June 13th 04, 09:38 PM
steven67@

Kern wrote:

"steven67@" wrote in
:

[...]

This 6-pin jumper block, found on your board at J9B1, was used on some other
Intel boards of the same age. The Advanced/ML was another one that used it.

Chip fan doesn't run on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard Luke General 13 February 8th 04 01:12 AM
AOPEN AX4BS-V MOTHERBOARD - won't boot - won't POST - help please!! lucy General 3 November 29th 03 06:21 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM
Since powersupply burnt out motherboard, what to do with components? S.Heenan General 4 August 11th 03 03:15 PM