Antec 900/ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX/Crucial Memory-New BuildIdeas

Old February 9th 08, 09:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LuckyLyndy

Default Antec 900/ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX/Crucial Memory-New BuildIdeas

Got a few goodies, but need some suggestions and leads on a good Intel
cpu/fan for this mobo. That and a good video/graphic card. I am not
a gamer, but do like to encode and scale video. This is a newbie
question but would it be possible to get a good card that had a HD
tuner built in? Would prefer passive heat sinking as both my last
cards had the fan die or were horribly loud.

I bought that Abit P35 board tonight from New Egg. I have a Antec 900
case, a new power supply, 2 1 GB 240-Pin unbuff Dimm 128X64 DDR2 PC-2
6400 CL4 Crucial RAM...
Now I need a good deal on a matching set of big SATA HD's. A pair of
500 Seagate Barracudas?

But I need that cpu/fan deal first. )
Lyndon
Old February 9th 08, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

LuckyLyndy wrote:
Got a few goodies, but need some suggestions and leads on a good Intel
cpu/fan for this mobo. That and a good video/graphic card. I am not
a gamer, but do like to encode and scale video. This is a newbie
question but would it be possible to get a good card that had a HD
tuner built in? Would prefer passive heat sinking as both my last
cards had the fan die or were horribly loud.

I bought that Abit P35 board tonight from New Egg. I have a Antec 900
case, a new power supply, 2 1 GB 240-Pin unbuff Dimm 128X64 DDR2 PC-2
6400 CL4 Crucial RAM...
Now I need a good deal on a matching set of big SATA HD's. A pair of
500 Seagate Barracudas?

But I need that cpu/fan deal first. )
Lyndon

They don't seem to have a CPUSupport link on the page here, so I guess
you can use anything you want with it. I'm more used to seeing a
chart listing the specific processors.

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?optio...ge=2&model=386

- Support Intel Core 2 Extreme/Duo/Quad processors with 1333/1066/800MHz FSB
- Support Intel Core 2 Extreme/Quad/Duo & Pentium Dual Core Processors

As to what to buy, it really depends on whether the video tools can
use the four cores of a quad or not. The Q6600 quad 2.4GHz, for example, gives
pretty good performance for price.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_20...82&char t=431

For TV tuner and video, I would buy separate cards. That way, if I need an
upgrade, or the TV standards change, the cards can be replaced separately.
To get an AIW style card, means you're stuck with whatever cruft they
give you for the tuner. There are some nice tuner cards out there, and
you can find duals for example. You can shop for the very latest tuner
cards, whatever has just come out.

For video editing, you probably don't need a monster video card.

With respect to video cards and cooling, it is a tough call. Newegg
lists 89 fanless PCI Express x16 video cards. But my experience
with fanless cards, is you'll probably end up pointing a fan at
them anyways. It helps to keep their idle temperature down. I
have a couple cheap fanless cards, and one of them isn't stable
unless I keep an 80mm case fan pointed at it. If the case fan
breaks, it is easy to replace, so that is an advantage. But if you
were thinking that every fanless card was a stable, silent solution,
it doesn't work like that. (Some have exceptionally high idle
temperatures, which isn't a good thing.)

There are some cards, that use a third party cooler. For example,
one XFX card uses a Zalman cooler. And some people like the Zalman
coolers. They aren't quiet, but they seem to work. (I don't hear
a lot of reports of fan failures on them. They might even be
using ball bearing fans. The cheap video card fans are more l
ikely to be sleeve bearing fans.)

So if you're going fanless, keep a fan handy just in case. I
mount my 80mm fan, on a piece of aluminum angle iron, bolted to
a PCI slot cover hole. One screw is enough to hold the thing in
place. It is a home made solution and I've been using it for
a couple years.

Paul
Old February 9th 08, 04:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LuckyLyndy

Thanks, Paul
I wonder about the deal at TigDir for the OEM chip, E2180. One would
have to buy a fan for it, but $50 after rebate sounds pretty good.
Old February 9th 08, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

LuckyLyndy wrote:
Thanks, Paul
I wonder about the deal at TigDir for the OEM chip, E2180. One would
have to buy a fan for it, but $50 after rebate sounds pretty good.

Yes, but if you price coolers, some of them are pretty expensive.
It might be better to just spend a few more dollars and get the
Intel retail (if you can put up with the push-pin method). I
have my own taste in coolers, and for example, like to see
screws to hold them in place. On my current cooler, I can adjust
the screws for just the right amount of tension. By not cranking
the screws up completely, it avoids bending the motherboard.
Not as much retention force is needed, when using thermal paste,
compared to some other materials. (The retention force used, is
to keep the heatsink in place, if the computer receives a
mechanical shock, such as being kicked. My computer is on
my desk, so never gets kicked.)

As an example, there is a push pin based cooler here. Made by
Arctic Cooling. $26. Some of the others cost as much as $50,
and while they are great coolers, they cost as much as your
processor.

There is an install movie here, to understand what to do with
push pins.

http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/...209_241209.wmv

Paul
Old February 10th 08, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LuckyLyndy

Thanks again, Paul.
I am with you on the complete package, but also don't like their
method. I thought that Intel chip prices were going to drop when they
unveiled their new line.
I guess that has not happened yet?
I am also nervous about this new mobo, as it looks like I won't have a
chip to test the mobo before NewEgg's return policy expires. I always
thought Abit was up there with Asus, but it appears there was a change
of company hands, and a real drop in customer service in the RMA
dept. Makes me nervous enough to put some kind of build together
pronto and check out that board.
Lyndon
Old February 10th 08, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
LuckyLyndy

On Feb 10, 11:09 am, LuckyLyndy wrote:
Thanks again, Paul.
I am with you on the complete package, but also don't like their
method. I thought that Intel chip prices were going to drop when they
unveiled their new line.
I guess that has not happened yet?
I am also nervous about this new mobo, as it looks like I won't have a
chip to test the mobo before NewEgg's return policy expires. I always
thought Abit was up there with Asus, but it appears there was a change
of company hands, and a real drop in customer service in the RMA
dept. Makes me nervous enough to put some kind of build together
pronto and check out that board.
Lyndon

Edit: How DO you edit a post on this board?
Anyway, I meant to add the new mobo I ordered: ABIT IP35-E LGA 775
Intel P35 ATX Intel
Old February 11th 08, 12:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

LuckyLyndy wrote:
On Feb 10, 11:09 am, LuckyLyndy wrote:
Thanks again, Paul.
I am with you on the complete package, but also don't like their
method. I thought that Intel chip prices were going to drop when they
unveiled their new line.
I guess that has not happened yet?
I am also nervous about this new mobo, as it looks like I won't have a
chip to test the mobo before NewEgg's return policy expires. I always
thought Abit was up there with Asus, but it appears there was a change
of company hands, and a real drop in customer service in the RMA
dept. Makes me nervous enough to put some kind of build together
pronto and check out that board.
Lyndon

Edit: How DO you edit a post on this board?
Anyway, I meant to add the new mobo I ordered: ABIT IP35-E LGA 775
Intel P35 ATX Intel

The cheapest LGA775 you can buy, could be the Celeron 420, a.k.a Conroe-L.
It is a Celeron based on a single core of the Core2 family. $43 and
being retail, includes a cooler. 35W power dissipation. The only issue
I have with purchasing this as a "test" processor, is the possibility
that an old BIOS won't be perfectly happy with it.

Now, an older processor, is the Celeron D family, based on 90nm technology,
By comparison, it has a much higher power dissipation. This one has an 84W TDP.
(Not that you really care for a test processor, as it won't be in the system
for that long. A little extra fan noise during testing won't hurt.)
Celeron D 336 for LGA775 for $48, with heatsink. Even the original BIOS
on an LGA775 motherboard, should be ready to deal with this one. Then
you could flash upgrade the BIOS, to whatever revision of BIOS is
needed for a newer fancy processor. (If scanning Ebay for something
like this, be aware there are socket 478 ones as well, so don't buy
the wrong socket type. Also, a used LGA775 could have contaminated
contacts on the bottom, so depending on what kind of moron the
seller is, plunking down a used one could put dirt into your
new socket. Used chips should have their contact cover in place.)

As for editing, this is USENET. I use a real USENET server, a free
one. There is no "editing" with USENET. There are also a number of
forums, that use "newsync", a piece of software for synchronizing
with USENET distribution. While the forum may support editing, you
cannot "fix" a USENET post, once it is launched. USENET had a
"Cancel" function, whereby you could attempt to remove a posting,
edit it, and resend it. But USENET servers don't necessarily honor
"Cancel", because it has been abused in the past. The administrator
would likely turn off that option, so a Cancel wouldn't do anything.

As you did, you can always quickly append a short correction in
the form of another post, and by using the "reply" function, it
is attached to the other posts in the thread. So what you did,
is about as good as it gets.

Paul

crucial memory Christo General 1 April 26th 05 11:18 PM
Crucial Memory Jen Dell Computers 1 October 21st 04 09:40 PM
Intel 875P (ABit IC7 Series) cant handle PAT when using all 4 memory slots ? tony010409020622@[email protected] Intel 7 May 21st 04 03:20 AM
Intel 875P (ABit IC7 Series) cant handle PAT when using all 4 memory slots ? tony010409020622@[email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 May 19th 04 10:51 PM
Crucial Memory Paul Asus Motherboards 6 May 4th 04 10:30 AM