8KNXP Ultra - SCSI boot question

Old November 29th 03, 06:17 PM
Jerome Williams

Default 8KNXP Ultra - SCSI boot question

Hello.

I just completed the install of a 8KNXP Ultra mobo and I'm trying to
configure my system to boot off of my existing SCSI setup (4 hard
drives & tape device). I've looked in the Award BIOS and in the SCSI
Select software and I can not find a place to set the SCSI ID to use
for boot. The SCSI Select software lets me select which one of the 2
SCSI controllers to use, but does not let me select an individual SCSI
ID. The Award BIOS lets me set the boot order (currently floppy,
CDROM, SCSI) and lets me set the SCSI/RAID boot order (SCSI is first),
but I don't see a place where I can actually select the SCSI ID here
either. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 29th 03, 07:24 PM
Bob Davis

I have an Adaptec SCSI adapter (AHA-2930B) on my 8KNXP non-Ultra that runs a
CD burner, CD player, zip drive, and scanner--and the default boot device is
ID0. I don't think you can change this, but there is a provision in the
bios for booting from a CD player, and if I recall you must designate where
that device is located on the chain. I normally don't use the SCSI to boot
and have no HD's on the chain, but with the CD burner on ID0 and the
appropriate selections in the bios to boot from this device, it works fine.

This is an apples-and-oranges comparision, but you might try setting your
boot device to ID0 and your first boot device to "SCSI" in the bios, and it
may work. If you find no joy here, try posting in the comp.periphs.scsi
newsgroup. This may be more a SCSI issue than the mobo.

om...

Old December 1st 03, 06:36 PM
Timothy Drouillard

I believe as a general rule, SCSI will attemp to boot from the drive with
the lowest (usually 0) SCSI ID hard drive
..
. com...

Old December 1st 03, 07:24 PM
Pavel

Yes Timothy, that is the rule, but if you ever had one of the Adaptec
controllers you know that all were able to select any ID to boot from. That
was great if you had multiple drives.

--
Pavel

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
I believe as a general rule, SCSI will attemp to boot from the drive with
the lowest (usually 0) SCSI ID hard drive
.
. com...

Old December 1st 03, 08:12 PM
Timothy Drouillard

Hmmmm..

I've used many Adaptec controllers over the years and never noticed that.
Never had a need to look I guess.

Learn something new every day...

"Pavel" wrote in message
. com...
Yes Timothy, that is the rule, but if you ever had one of the Adaptec
controllers you know that all were able to select any ID to boot from.

That
was great if you had multiple drives.

--
Pavel

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
I believe as a general rule, SCSI will attemp to boot from the drive

with
the lowest (usually 0) SCSI ID hard drive
.
. com...

Old December 3rd 03, 07:17 PM
Jerome Williams

Thanks for the responses. I never did find a way to select the boot
ID so I just fell in line and changed the ID of the drive I wanted to
boot off of to zero. Not that it matters at all, but I do wonder why
such a high-end board wouldn't have that feature?

Jerome

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message ...
Hmmmm..

I've used many Adaptec controllers over the years and never noticed that.
Never had a need to look I guess.

Learn something new every day...

"Pavel" wrote in message
. com...
Yes Timothy, that is the rule, but if you ever had one of the Adaptec
controllers you know that all were able to select any ID to boot from.

That
was great if you had multiple drives.

--
Pavel

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
I believe as a general rule, SCSI will attemp to boot from the drive

with
the lowest (usually 0) SCSI ID hard drive
.
. com...

Old December 6th 03, 07:53 PM
Michael Flood

I gave up on the imbedded SCSI and have disabled it. I ended up having
to purchase a 39120 PCI card anyway to get the level of configurability
that I needed.

It's a high end chip with a low end OEM BIOS implementation.
Had I known this at the outset, I would have purchased a faster ASUS or
ABIT board to use with the 39120.

-A total waste of money.

Michael

In article ,
says...
Thanks for the responses. I never did find a way to select the boot
ID so I just fell in line and changed the ID of the drive I wanted to
boot off of to zero. Not that it matters at all, but I do wonder why
such a high-end board wouldn't have that feature?

Jerome

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message ...
Hmmmm..

I've used many Adaptec controllers over the years and never noticed that.
Never had a need to look I guess.

Learn something new every day...

"Pavel" wrote in message
. com...
Yes Timothy, that is the rule, but if you ever had one of the Adaptec
controllers you know that all were able to select any ID to boot from.

That
was great if you had multiple drives.

--
Pavel

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
I believe as a general rule, SCSI will attemp to boot from the drive

with
the lowest (usually 0) SCSI ID hard drive
.
. com...