FX5800 Ultra

Old June 28th 03, 02:09 AM
Courseyauto

Nvidia made the chip and PCB, then ships it to vendors to be re-branded. =
They can then apply their own heat-sink and fan. I realize this was =
not past practice, but for the FX they adopted this policy to insure =
quality control.

Scott

Gainward makes their own 5900 cards.

You need to check again,Gainward's PCB is red and Nvidia's is green.
Old June 28th 03, 02:10 AM
Courseyauto

Nvidia made the chip and PCB, then ships it to vendors to be re-branded.
They can then apply
their own heat-sink and fan. I realize this was not past practice, but for the
FX they adopted
this policy to insure quality control.

Nvidia does not 'make' anything. They single sourced the board because it is
complicated and
they wanted to assure QC. This did not go over well at all with the brand
board makers.

The 5900 board are being made by the various manuf themselves as evidenced by
the different
board colors and component placement.

PNY made the 5800 cards for nvidia
Old June 28th 03, 02:12 AM
Courseyauto

Sorry, but even the non-ultra is going for more then $200. The ATI 9700 =
Pro, or 9800 Pro is a far better purchase. And no, I'm not anti Nvidia. =
I have a GF3/Ti4600 and a 9800 Pro.

Scott

Why dont you go back to the ATI group where mabey someone gives a **** about
what you say.............
Old June 28th 03, 02:16 AM
Steve Simpson

Nvidia produced a Video joking about the FX 5800 Ultra. Its actually pretty funny, and very
honest on their part. I don't have a link, but its out there. It might be found here
somewhere. http://www.nvnews.net/

Indeed.

Oh, I just remembered something . . . . ATI produced a video saying, just joking of course, that
only a fool would buy a Radion since the drivers don't work and never have . . yuck, yuck yuck.
It was pretty funny to . . and you know I can't seem to remember that darn link, but I think you
can find it he www.internet.net

The 5800 is less expensive indeed, but has problems with heat. So much so that they need to

underclock it during 2D applications. No it does not make perfect sense to buy one, in fact,
it makes no sense to buy one at all.

You're right. Makes no sense to buy one of those Pentium 4's either since they have 'problems'
with heat also . . . . . . .maybe that explains all those fans they come with.

Old June 28th 03, 03:19 AM
Joe Pyles

ALL of the 5800 and the first run of the 5900 boards are made by
Nvidia's partner Flextronics. Individual vendors may specify board
color and cooling options. After the first run of the 5900 it will be
up to the individual manufacturer to make their own boards.
http://www.flextronics.com/

The link for the video about the 5800 fan is:

http://download.nvidia.com/downloads...ooling_fan.wmv

Old June 28th 03, 06:53 AM
Scott

Umm...are you ok?

ATI drivers are fine.

Guess you never saw the video that Nvidia made. It was all over the =
place just a month ago. Nvidia news had a direct link to it, so maybe =
do some looking instead of sticking your foot in your mouth.

Pent IV don't have cooling issues.

"Steve Simpson" wrote in message =
Nvidia produced a Video joking about the FX 5800 Ultra. Its actually =

pretty funny, and very
honest on their part. I don't have a link, but its out there. It =

might be found here
somewhere. http://www.nvnews.net/
=20
Indeed.
=20

Old June 28th 03, 02:34 PM
Courseyauto

Nvidia made the chip and PCB, then ships it to vendors to be re-branded. =
They can then apply their own heat-sink and fan. I realize this was =
not past practice, but for the FX they adopted this policy to insure =
quality control.

Scott

Can you supply a link to this information......
Old June 28th 03, 02:38 PM
Courseyauto

Do some reading, Nvidia is in charge of all 5900 manufacturing processes =
to insure quality. What does the color have to do with anything?

Please supply the link so i can read about it ...............
Old June 28th 03, 04:49 PM
Steve Simpson

Umm...are you ok?

Do I look ok to you?

ATI drivers are fine.

Yeah right. And FX 5800 Ultra's are quiet . . . . some people are just too damn picky.

Guess you never saw the video that Nvidia made. It was all over the place just a month ago.

Nvidia news had a direct link to it, so maybe do some looking instead of sticking your foot in
your mouth.

If it was so easy to find, why couldn't you post a link instead of waiting for someone else to
and then repeating it as if you actually have a clue.

Posing a link to where someone might start 'searching' for something is pretty lame. "yeah, you
can find it here; www.google.com"

Sure, thanks a pant load, bud.

Pent IV don't have cooling issues.

Then why do they need that huge black thing with the big ass fan on it.

All processors have 'cooling issues', genius. The question is how to solve them. There just
isn't room on a graphics card for a HSF the size of what the Pentium 4 uses. Slap a 3ghz P4 on
an AGP card and see if some 'cooling issues' don't surface. You need to do some homework on
dissipation. Info here; www.yahoo.com

. . . . you're welcome . . . .

While you are looking that up, you might stumble across the fact that a large part of the
FX5800U 'cooling issue' was the DDR2 RAM so you may as well start whining about that too.

Just like the P4, the cooling was solved on the NV30 from a dissipation standpoint. The
difference is there just isn't room for a large (and therefore quiet) fan in the space available
on an add-in card . . . . or two.

Nvidia is certainly not without their sins, but they didn't get to dictate a totally new
motherboard design to accommodate their needs. Only Padre INTEL has that privilege. Remember
when Pentiums came on a plug in card? Now imagine hanging a P4 HSF off a Slot 1 Pentium3 and you
get the idea of what graphics cards are up against.

I don't do AMD, but from what I read, the high end of the aftermarket cooling solutions for
those chips can be pretty darn noisy.

Old June 28th 03, 05:05 PM
Steve Simpson

The link for the video about the 5800 fan is:

http://download.nvidia.com/downloads...ooling_fan.wmv

Thanks for the link.

Nvidia has made a lot of bad choices lately. So much so that it always seems they can't possibly
do anything dumber . . . and then they do. But if they actually made that video, they have
surpassed all of their monumentally stupid moves to date.

To my eye, that video seems like it is mocking any Nvidia customer who actually bought their
flagship product.

Yeah baby! That's a sound strategy. These guys definitely wrote the book on bad PR.

GA-K8NS Ultra 939 Dual Channel Memory Unusable Ray Letulle Gigabyte Motherboards 5 December 14th 04 06:18 PM
Ultra DMA Ken Homebuilt PC's 28 November 14th 04 01:54 AM
Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRW media? Dave Cohen Cdr 1 April 9th 04 10:30 PM
ATI 9600 Pro V's Geforce FX5600 (non ultra) Trevor Marsh Ati Videocards 3 September 24th 03 09:32 AM
Any temp monitor for fx5800 ultra Tom Sadler Nvidia Videocards 4 June 26th 03 08:04 AM