New Nikon Coolscan 9000ED

Old November 5th 03, 05:05 PM
JKML

Default New Nikon Coolscan 9000ED

Not sure if I am the first with this....

Nikon's 35mm and medium format scanner the 8000ED has finally been
replaced!

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_...3/ls9000ed.htm

also there are another 2 (35mm only) new scanners there.

Thing is im not sure what the difference is between the old and the new
models as they have not increased the scan dpi (still 4000)

Old November 5th 03, 07:24 PM
Ed E.

I can't find anything from anyone else, but maybe the new line of Coolscans
will all use the long overdue USB 2.0. That 9000ED uses 1.1, 2.0 and
Firewire, which is nice.

Old November 5th 03, 10:09 PM
George

I seem to recall someone posting that the list prices decreased as well.
I'm always in favor of that.

Old November 5th 03, 10:40 PM
jjs

"George" wrote in message
I seem to recall someone posting that the list prices decreased as well.
I'm always in favor of that.

Yes, for the 8000ed. $500 rebate while supplies last bringing it down to
about $2k.

Old November 6th 03, 03:49 AM
George

What I meant to say was that I seem to recall someone posting that the list
price of the NEW models is lower than the old models being replaced.

Old November 6th 03, 07:42 AM
jjs

In article , "George"
wrote:

What I meant to say was that I seem to recall someone posting that the list
price of the NEW models is lower than the old models being replaced.

That would make them about $2600. Almost too good to believe.
Old November 6th 03, 01:44 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, jjs posted:

In article , "George"
wrote:

What I meant to say was that I seem to recall someone posting that
the list price of the NEW models is lower than the old models being
replaced.

That would make them about $2600. Almost too good to believe.

Other forces may affect the pricing of the Nikon. For example, there
doesn't appear to be a big difference between the 8000ed and 9000ed, at
least accoring to the listed information. So, it may be hard to justify a
higher price. Also, one can buy an ArtixScan 120tf 4000 dpi film scanner
for less than half that price. That will make a few buyers go "hmm..."

Neil

Old November 6th 03, 02:20 PM
fruitbat

"George" wrote:
What I meant to say was that I seem to recall someone posting that the list
price of the NEW models is lower than the old models being replaced.

That would be excellent... I almost bought an LS-40 a few months ago,
but the big rebates told me the line was about to be replaced, so I
waited. If I could get the LS-50 for less than the LS-40 (with more
features and higher resolution), that would make me very happy.
Somehow, though, I doubt it will be the case...

Jeff
Old November 6th 03, 08:56 PM
George

There has been a lot of downward pressure on pricing in the marketplace in
part due to the crappy economy, but also due to normal electronics progress
in features vs. price and competitive pressure as well. After all, you CAN
go to Publishing Perfection and get a refurb'd Minolta Scan Multi for $299
and the Minolta Scan Multi II for $399 and those are medium format & 35mm
scanners albeit at somewhat lower resolution than the LS-8000 and without
Digital ICE BUT they DO almost the same job and at 10% of the price...

"fruitbat" wrote in message
om...

Old November 6th 03, 09:51 PM

I owned the Minolta multi-scan and now use the Nikon 8000 ED. The
Minolta Multi does not come close to the quality of the 8000. I
rescanned all my images. The colors are better, more detail, and the
ability to make bigger enlargements is greatly increased. The Minolta
looked muddy because of the lower dpi.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:56:34 -0500, "George"
wrote:

There has been a lot of downward pressure on pricing in the marketplace in
part due to the crappy economy, but also due to normal electronics progress
in features vs. price and competitive pressure as well. After all, you CAN
go to Publishing Perfection and get a refurb'd Minolta Scan Multi for $299
and the Minolta Scan Multi II for $399 and those are medium format & 35mm
scanners albeit at somewhat lower resolution than the LS-8000 and without
Digital ICE BUT they DO almost the same job and at 10% of the price...

"fruitbat" wrote in message
. com...

http://www.lightandlandscapes.com