Harddisk failure

Old August 10th 05, 01:18 PM
General Schvantzkoph

Default Harddisk failure

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:01:35 +0200, ICE wrote:

Is the a way to recover data from a hdd that gives following error?
"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
At boottime, the HDD is recognized (slower than normal) and a driveletter is
assigned to it in windows.
When clicking on the drive, the error appears. Afterwards, the driveletter
vanishes from the explorer window.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Can you access anything before the drive goes away or is it completely
inaccessible?

The first things to try are to first check the cables and see if anything
is loose. Then I'd power the system off for a hour to let everything cool
down to room temperature, then boot the system up and try and copy off the
files that you need. If that doesn't work there is a trick that has been
mentioned on this board a number of times which is to take the drive out,
seal it inside of a plastic bag and then put it in your freezer for a few
hours, then put it back into your system and copy your files off to
another drive. If that doesn't work your only remaining option is a
professional recovery service.

In the future be more diligent about doing backups.

Old August 10th 05, 01:57 PM
Bob

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:18:10 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

If that doesn't work your only remaining option is a
professional recovery service.

He might try to recover from MS-DOS.

Use NTFS2DOS if your filesystem is NTFS:

http://www.datapol-technologies.com/...tfs/index.html

Free for home use.

NB: NTFS2DOS does not perform filename expansion, so you have to use
*.* everywhere. Bummer, but then you get what you don't pay for.

Old August 10th 05, 04:31 PM
old jon

"ICE" wrote in message
Is the a way to recover data from a hdd that gives following error?
"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
At boottime, the HDD is recognized (slower than normal) and a driveletter
is assigned to it in windows.
When clicking on the drive, the error appears. Afterwards, the driveletter
vanishes from the explorer window.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Try PCI File Recovery. Might help you out.
bw..OJ

Old August 10th 05, 05:13 PM
Bob

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:19:17 +0200, "ICE" wrote:

When booting in MS-DOS, ms-dos tells me there are no HDDs available....as if
the HDD would not be partitioned.

Are you using an NTFS filesystem? If so, then you will not see the HD
because MS-DOS doesn't recognize it - only FAT filesystems.

You need a utility called NTFS2DOS that I cited earlier.

http://www.datapol-technologies.com/...tfs/index.html

Follow the instructions and you will be able to mount an NTFS
filesystem from DOS - assuming your HD is working.

Old August 10th 05, 05:14 PM
Werner

ICE wrote:
Is the a way to recover data from a hdd that gives following error?
"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
At boottime, the HDD is recognized (slower than normal) and a driveletter is
assigned to it in windows.
When clicking on the drive, the error appears. Afterwards, the driveletter
vanishes from the explorer window.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

You can try if you can access the HDD from another computer. If you
can't read it, then the MBR might be corrupt.
Then you can try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q69013/
Old August 10th 05, 05:17 PM
Bob

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:31:01 GMT, "old jon"
wrote:

Try PCI File Recovery. Might help you out.

I would be a bit suspicious of a program where the descriptions refers
to file extensions as "disk formats".

Maybe it's a language problem.

Old August 10th 05, 05:52 PM
old jon

wrote:

Try PCI File Recovery. Might help you out.

I would be a bit suspicious of a program where the descriptions refers
to file extensions as "disk formats".

Maybe it's a language problem.

Translated from german Bob. actually means `file types`. Funny people these
foreigners.
g. best wishes..OJ

Old August 12th 05, 03:35 PM
Captin

"" wrote:
Is the a way to recover data from a hdd that gives following
error?
"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device
error"
At boottime, the HDD is recognized (slower than normal) and a
driveletter is
assigned to it in windows.
When clicking on the drive, the error appears. Afterwards, the
driveletter
vanishes from the explorer window.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Can I assume you have installed another drive in your computer and
ruled out any problem with your BIOS or power supply etc?
Regardless I would install the suspect drive in another computer
setting it up as a slave drive and attempt to transfer the data from
it this way.
Preferably using a master drive with XP Pro installed....
If the drive boots up but there is no recognition of a partition I
would try a cheap shot of using seagates hard disk utilities to try
and make the drive bootable..Even if you use the appropriate hard disk
utility to prepare the drive to be a slave disk.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Genera...pict60237.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304961