Question on UMAX Astra 6450 Scanner for XP (Firewire)

Old July 7th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Robert Heiling

Default Question on UMAX Astra 6450 Scanner for XP (Firewire)

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"Jethro" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:23:00 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Jethro
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:27:50 -0400, kony wrote:

Have you tried this?
http://www.silverfast.com/sf-download/se/en.html

I downloaded SFTWE-6.4.4r3b(UmaxSDK-SE).exe
from here - it installs, but scanner still sits unrecognized.

Thanks

Jethro

Does any other utility recognize that there is something
on the Firewire bus ?

As of now, I have no other Firewire device. Not that I know of,
anyway.

Does the scanner have an external power supply and is it
connected ?

Yes, and it was powered on separately before I booted.

Was the scanner damaged by a previous owner ? Firewire
interfaces have been known to blow out, both at the
computer end, and at the peripheral end.

I tried my two machines - one has a Firewire PCI card (AMD), and the
other has Firewire on-board (P4). Both have XP SP2 and fail same way.
I bought the Firewire cable new last month.

The Firewire is recognized in each machine's Device Manager as okay -
but both Device Managers show the 'Imaging Device' as flagged yellow.

Delete (Remove) that yellow marked device, Unplug the scanner. Reboot the
computer.
Install the correct software. Reboot, then plug in the scanner and turn it
on.
Windows XP should then see the scanner.

You should never connect a scanner until AFTER installing the correct
software in Windows XP.

Paul

One thing - I don't know if the scanner really works - even though the
scanner comes on and the scan-light comes on.

Thanks for your interest guys

Jethro

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Paul -

I repeated my installation and followed your instructions. When I
re-booted after installing Vistascan software (which said it did
successfully), and after powering the scanner ON, I got the following
error window as XP tries to install 'new hardware' via its 'wizard':

CANNOT INSTALL THIS HARDWARE

THERE WAS A PROBLEM INSTALLING THIS HARDWARE

UMAX ASTRA 6400 IEEE1394 SBP2 DEVICE

AN ERROR OCCURRED DURING INSTALLATION OF THIS DEVICE

THE CLASS INSTALLER HAS DENIED THE REQUEST TO INSTALL
OR UPGRADE THIS DEVICE

CLICK FINISH TO CLOSE THE WIZARD

So here I sit - stuck.

FYI - The Umax support site says this which I think is real cute:

VistaScan 3.72
This software IS NOT downloadable.
Available on CD-ROM only.
This product is non-returnable and non-refundable.
Read More Buy Now

File Size:
72.7 MB
Updated:
10/03/2000
CD-ROM Version:
Astra Scanners Version 3.72 Rev. 0

Have you tried?:
http://scanner.free-driver-download....-Firewire.html

I got a driver for my UMAX scsi scanner from that site and it worked fine.
Perhaps Firewire doesn't require it, but scsi & usb need aspi installed also.
That will already be there if you have Nero CD-burning software or others. Like
I say, I don't know if you need it or not, but I suspect that you do with a
UMAX.

Bob
Old July 8th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:19:22 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Bob - When I try to download the driver from that site, I get the
error message:

this page could not be found on the server

For both segment 1 and 2.

Do you get that?

Thanks
Old July 8th 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately I do. I got my UMAX drivers from there over a year & a half ago
and had saved the website. It still has drivers for my UMAX 1200S and another
model I tried at random, but the hosting site for your drivers:
http://www.umaxfirstaid.de/ftp/vs376f.exe
appears to be kaput. Too bad.

Bob
Old July 8th 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
kony

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:50:17 GMT, Jethro
wrote:

Bob - When I try to download the driver from that site, I get the
error message:

this page could not be found on the server

For both segment 1 and 2.

Do you get that?

I did.

Try googling for those filenames,
vs376f.exe
vs376f.r00

It looks like a RAR format though, it is exceedingly rare to
see manufacturers package drivers like this so I'd wonder if
someone had repackaged it... which could be bad for various
reasons, or on occasion good, if someone went in and fixed
it to work... I wouldn't count on it though.
Old July 8th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I sent you an e-mail - but upon re-reading the above I see that your
drivers are for the USB scanner. They probably will not work for a
Firewire scanner.

Thanks anyway

Jethro
Old July 8th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Right. Mine is a scsi model and connected to a Tekram pci scsi card. It might
not matter about the underlying hardware - usb, firewire, scsi - which XP would
have support for, but the 6450 itself probably requires a different driver
capability than my old 1200 does. I've looked for your driver in several places
and get mostly annoying popup ads and no download.

Bob
Old July 8th 06, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:12:10 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That's all I get also. Big aggravation. It seems a shame to pitch
this scanner, but I guess that's the sensible thing to do. Thanks for
trying to help.

Cya

Jethro
Old July 8th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Grinder

Robert Heiling wrote:
Right. Mine is a scsi model and connected to a Tekram pci scsi card. It might
not matter about the underlying hardware - usb, firewire, scsi - which XP would
have support for, but the 6450 itself probably requires a different driver
capability than my old 1200 does. I've looked for your driver in several places
and get mostly annoying popup ads and no download.

I looked on a couple of P2P networks for these scanner drivers as well.
Unfortunately I could find nothing promising.
Old July 8th 06, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Jethro

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:14:52 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

Robert Heiling wrote:
Right. Mine is a scsi model and connected to a Tekram pci scsi card. It might
not matter about the underlying hardware - usb, firewire, scsi - which XP would
have support for, but the 6450 itself probably requires a different driver
capability than my old 1200 does. I've looked for your driver in several places
and get mostly annoying popup ads and no download.

I looked on a couple of P2P networks for these scanner drivers as well.
Unfortunately I could find nothing promising.

Thanks for your effort Grinder

Jethro

FA: UMAX Astra 1200S Flatbed Scanner JohnC Scanners 1 April 28th 05 04:08 PM
Mustek 1200 III EP undetectable in any image program Raymond A. Chamberlin Scanners 18 January 10th 05 08:52 AM
UMAX scanner locked Ampersand Scanners 9 January 16th 04 06:11 PM
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe: Warning, onboard Firewire may have fried my components, details inside... Z Man Asus Motherboards 9 December 11th 03 03:34 PM
UMAX Astra 1220 U question Kate Lambert Scanners 1 October 14th 03 03:37 PM