2 USB scanners in XP, need workaround

Old December 15th 03, 12:01 PM
Tim

I thought that Win XP SP1 addressed this issue. It certainly installs
a newer version of USBSCAN.SYS.

"Griff" wrote in message ...
Hi all
I use two scanners in my machine both usb 1 and on xp home no problems at
all one is cannon lide 30 and one epson (cant think of its model and i'm not
at home right now ) also I take out epson and change it for black widow for
special work still all OK
Griff

"david" wrote in message
om...
hi all,

understood that XP doesn't suppot 2 USB scanners, unfortunately too
late for me since I have already purchased the 2nd one and will need
both, one for dedicated scanning and one for casual scanning and
printing (all-in-one). I can currently plug and unplug the device and
reboot to switch devices, does anyone have a workaround so that at
least I don't have to reboot? I guess I can deal with the
plug/unplug, but having to reboot every time is crazy.

thanks

david

Old December 16th 03, 04:08 PM
CSM1

This is an issue with Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Randy Lane" wrote in message
om...
I have SP1 installed on a Win XP Pro PC.
And yes, there is a newer version of USBSCAN.SYS in the
Windows\System32\drivers folder.
The new file is dated 08/29/2002, version # 5.1.2600.1106.
The old file is dated 08/17/2001, version # 5.1.2600.0

But, I still have the same problem. Plug in a second USB scanner, and
Device Manager flags it with a yellow marker. The status shows it
cannot be attached because another device is already using the driver.

. com...

Old December 16th 03, 10:14 PM
Dick or Leora Timmers

I would like to buy a second scanner to use at my vacation home. Either the
Canon LiDE 30 or the 50 should be adequate for the simple scanning & copying
that I need do there. I believe that my laptop has only USB 1.0 ports. The
specs. for Canon LiDE 50 mention USB 2.0 connection. Is there a way for me
to use the 50, or should I look for the model 30?

Leora

Old December 18th 03, 08:16 PM
JeB

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:14:26 -0600, "Dick or Leora Timmers"
wrote:

I would like to buy a second scanner to use at my vacation home. Either the
Canon LiDE 30 or the 50 should be adequate for the simple scanning & copying
that I need do there. I believe that my laptop has only USB 1.0 ports. The
specs. for Canon LiDE 50 mention USB 2.0 connection. Is there a way for me
to use the 50, or should I look for the model 30?

i believe the USB 2.0 standard is backward compatible but you should
confirm that with Canon.

Old December 18th 03, 08:52 PM
James Silverton

wrote:

I would like to buy a second scanner to use at my vacation home. Either

the
Canon LiDE 30 or the 50 should be adequate for the simple scanning &

copying
that I need do there. I believe that my laptop has only USB 1.0 ports.

The
specs. for Canon LiDE 50 mention USB 2.0 connection. Is there a way for

me
to use the 50, or should I look for the model 30?

i believe the USB 2.0 standard is backward compatible but you should
confirm that with Canon.

I have a CanoScan D12 50 0U2F which I have had for nearly a year. The manual
specifically states that it uses USB 2.0 or 1.1 but the scanning speed is
4.0 microseconds per line for color or grayscale with 2.0 but 16
microseconds for color and 8 microseconds for grayscale with 1.1.

I suspect the major disadvantage of your USB port is that scanning will be
slower. You might try looking at the instruction manual in a store.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old December 18th 03, 10:56 PM
Dick or Leora Timmers

Thanks for the advice. I did a Google search and found a rather neat
sounding thing from Adaptec - a USB2connect for Notebooks. All kinds of
technical info about it, and it is probably what I would need to take
advantage of the faster USB 2.0 with my laptop. Some of the installation
instructions do seem a bit ambitious for my limited computer fixing ability,
but maybe not. They are certainly written clearly enough. Maybe I could
just set a restore point, and go for it.

But I did get the impression from their website that, except for a slower
speed, I should be able to use USB 2.0 equipment with my ports, as you say.

Leora

Old January 23rd 04, 11:45 AM
eran

I found that the same problem exists with my Genius Colorpage Vivid III and
a new digital camera - Canon A70. It didn't happen with an old HP Photosmart
120 camera. I installed the A70 new XP driver 6.0.0.15- no change, because
the camera still uses the usbscan.sys driver from Windows. You would think
that either MS or Canon will come up with a better solution. However, I
don't need to reboot . Just unplug one device wait a few seconds and
connect the other. Still, this is one MAJOR bug.