Thinking of buying a Dell? Think again!

Old November 10th 03, 08:03 PM
~~Alan~~

Wow! I just saw this same post in the following news groups (in no special
orger):

Compaq/HP Radio Shack
Verizon Shaw's Supermarkets
Comcast Ford
IBM General Motors
Gateway Toyota
Pacific Bell American Airlines
Microsoft Maxell
Apple Staples
Amazon and the list goes on and on

if this is the worst thing in your life, let's trade places.

~Alan

"Psychomation" wrote in message
1) We bought one PC and all went fine.
2) Ordered a second one many months later and for technical reasons,
cancelled the order within 24 hours by both fax and email. We received a
confirmation of the cancellation from the service rep. This rep was not
available by phone and would not return my call to the number left on
2 voice messages and 2 emails.

3) The next month, the full amount of transaction was charged to our
account!

4) Maybe worst of all, any communication to cust service has resulted in
the address being put on a mailing list.

5) The request to remove from list has resulted in a second "subscription"
to the same mailing list.

6) The "unsubscribe page" of the list gives a "Service not available"
error.

Conclusion - I will never ever have anything to do with Dell again.

Just in case you are scanning this forum with the intention of
purchasing... think twice about it.

Old November 10th 03, 08:03 PM
Tom Scales

No, he's not. Check out the news server. He's in Houston (actually goes the
Austin's server) and I'm in Pennsylvania.

There IS more than one happy customer.

Tom
"Dawn Killick" wrote in message

"HH" wrote in message
I read it, and just ordered my 2nd Dell ( an 1100 notebook) anyway. So
there!
Plonk
HH

You *are* Tom Scales and I claim my $5

Old November 10th 03, 10:44 PM
subedude

Gosh, I must be a real sucker.

I manage 350 Dell Optiplex systems, serveral Dell Poweredge servers and
about 12 Dell laptops at
my university.

In the past three years I have only had to make four calls to tech support,
resulting in a part, or a tech, if
neccesary, showing up the next day.

In short Premier support is still good, and the Optiplex machines (my
personal computer is an Optiplex 270) perform
every day, every way, with a minimum of problems.

I think most of the complaints come from the consumer end of things and I
think there really needs to be some improvement
there. We don't own any Dimensions, or Insperions so I can't speak to that
issue.

My personal experiance is that the Optiplex line is rock solid, stable, and
highly scalable.

The servers, three years running Novell on three of them, Linux on
anotherr, and Win 2003 on the other, Not one reboot in all that time
except to install new software on the Windows server.

I guess I am one of those hapless fools who have had a great experiance with
Dell.

BTW, We have a few HP's anc Compaqs also....Try working with thier tech
support!!!

"BWL" wrote in message
Man, you had it easy! If that's the worst that happened to you in dealing
with Dell, I'd say you were one of the lucky ones.

Unlike just a couple of years ago, horror stories regarding Dell's PC's,
return policies, and ESPECIALLY their worse-than-bottom-of-the-barrel tech
support have been rampant.

Dell apologists (customers who haven't been screwed yet, or Dell

employees)
will post messages of praise, but what's happened to Dell recently is no
longer a secret. If more people did their homework, and actually talked

recent Dell costomers, fewer people would make that expensive mistake.

Dell
would (hopefully) eventually think about getting back to how it was in the
'90's.

But I understand the economics of it, and I doubt they will do that. All

we
can do (after exhausting all options in dealing with Dell) is not do
business with them again.

...and warn future potential suckers of what awaits them.

Old November 10th 03, 10:56 PM
Lawrence Glasser

BWL wrote:

Man, you had it easy! If that's the worst that happened to you in dealing
with Dell, I'd say you were one of the lucky ones.

Unlike just a couple of years ago, horror stories regarding Dell's PC's,
return policies, and ESPECIALLY their worse-than-bottom-of-the-barrel tech
support have been rampant.

Dell apologists (customers who haven't been screwed yet, or Dell employees)
will post messages of praise, but what's happened to Dell recently is no

How does not having had problems make one an "apologist?"

Larry
Old November 10th 03, 10:59 PM
Irene

Let's see now. You deal only with the business operation and have had no
experience with Dell's consumer products.

What's your point?

That Dell does a far better job with it's business computer operation than
with it's consumer PC operation. I think everyone here knows that already.

Old November 10th 03, 11:32 PM
~~Alan~~

Think about it. Every organization as large as Dell is going to have both
happy customers and unhappy customers.

I love my Dell product, but I feel that their customer service sucks the big
one, but that is for another post. Am I going to give up on Dell, I don't
think so. Over all, they do make a good product. If you have a problem
with a CS agent, speak to a manager and continue to go up the ladder until
you speak with Mike's office. But when you do speak with them, remember
this: act professional, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will
with fly paper.

I've had problems with my local supermarket because they continue to
overcharge me at the checkout line (actually, the scanners are not programed
correctly) and after waiting in line to check out, I have to wait in another
line for a correction/refund. I spoke with the manager who said sorry but
that's the way we are set up to do business. A call to his district
manager, and then to the VP for the area operations and the system was
changed. From both the store manager and his DM, I was told the computer
made a mistake. The VP didn't think so. He didn't think the computer set
up the business like that, either.

Do I no longer shop there? No, I still go back because they 1) do have
better prices, and 2) they are closer and more convenient for my needs. Am
I going to cut off my nose to spite my face?

The Same post? Maybe not the same words, but the same message are in those
NGs. So what is this person going to do? Get ****ed off at Dell? He's
probably the same guy that got ****ed off at Compaq, HP, IBM, etc.

Thank you for your time.
~alan