Nvidia PhysX

Old August 26th 09, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Timelord

Default Nvidia PhysX

Can someone please tell me exactly what the PyhsX does. I know you need a
minimum spec card for this to work anyway and mine is the 9800GX2 card so
therefore that is compatible.
I did watch the demo on the Nvidia website but cannot see any changes to my
current games as a result.
Perhaps i am missing the point somewhere and someone may be able to clarify.

One last thing, does anyone have the Samsung 120hz monitor and the 3D Vision
glasses yet??

Thanks.

Old August 27th 09, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On Aug 26, 6:07*pm, "timelord" wrote:
Can someone please tell me exactly what the PyhsX does. I know you need a
minimum spec card for this to work anyway and mine is the 9800GX2 card so
therefore that is compatible.
I did watch the demo on the Nvidia website but cannot see any changes to my
current games as a result.
Perhaps i am missing the point somewhere and someone may be able to clarify.

One last thing, does anyone have the Samsung 120hz monitor and the 3D Vision
glasses yet??

Thanks.

In general, Physic "visuals" add more realistic "details" to the 3D
applications, usually game. PhysX was an implementation from Ageia,
which was purchased by nVidia. More details can be gotten from
nVidia's web site.
Old August 28th 09, 09:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

timelord wrote:
Can someone please tell me exactly what the PyhsX does. I know you need
a minimum spec card for this to work anyway and mine is the 9800GX2 card
so therefore that is compatible.
I did watch the demo on the Nvidia website but cannot see any changes to
my current games as a result.
Perhaps i am missing the point somewhere and someone may be able to
clarify.

One last thing, does anyone have the Samsung 120hz monitor and the 3D
Vision glasses yet??

Thanks.

If You would drop a stone to the floor or shoot it from a cannon, You
could calculate the trajectory if You know a couple of parameters like
gravity and mass of the object (simple Newtonian laws). PhysX does that
but very fast (a CPU can do that too) and for a great many particles in
parallel (this is what a GPU or dedicated PhysX processor can do much
faster than a CPU). So if You shoot at a barrel which then explodes, the
trajectories of all the fragments are calculated, these calculations can
be made for many more particles in parallel than the CPU could have done
(and apart from that, now the CPU has extra time for other stuff). So
scenes that show many particles that are moving will get prettier with
PhysX. I have no clue how common it is nowadays for games to support
PhysX but that is necessary, perhaps the games You have tried do not
support PhysX.

Yours sincerely,
Rene
Old August 28th 09, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On Aug 28, 9:54*am, Rene wrote:
timelord wrote:
[...]

PhysX compatible games are starting to appear this year. I know of
several already out:

Mirror's Edge
Terminator Salvation
Cal of Duty: World at War
Crazy Machines II

You do not "really" see much different. However, Crazy Machines does
have a complete section dedicated to PhysX.

Look on www.nzone.com for more games coming out.
Old August 28th 09, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rene

smlunatick wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:54 am, Rene wrote:
timelord wrote:
[...]

There are already many games available which support PhysX. Rail
simulator is one I know of myself (released october 2007). In that game,
stuff like smoke seems to be prettier with PhysX, but not that
impressing (that is what I have read, I have no personal experience). If
You look at http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html,
You'll see the games that already have come out. Before Nvidia started
supporting PhysX on their GPU's, there was already the Ageia PhysX card.
In fact, PhysX is just an SDK around an engine, not necessarily hardware
accelerated, it can be fully run on the CPU. But then it is very slow,
therefore first the special card came out and now GPU manufacturers are
setting their GPU's at work to do the same sort of calculations, as
GPU's have a very good architecture for this kind of things (many
parallel pipelines).

Greetings,
Rene
Old August 29th 09, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
smlunatick

On Aug 28, 3:28*pm, Rene wrote:
smlunatick wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:54 am, Rene wrote:
timelord wrote:
[...]

Rene- Hide quoted text -

As I previously stated Ageia was a company who came out with a
separate PhysX processor card. Sometime later, nVidia bought the
company and has been integrating PhysX into their CUDA system.