Multiple BS's and errors.

Old July 22nd 11, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
michelle83

Default Multiple BS's and errors.

Hi all. I'm new to this, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong area.
I'm having issues with my computer, to the point where it won't stay on
for more than 5 minutes without giving me a BS. Here's to hoping it
won't crash while I'm posting this.

I bought this computer through ascendtech.com about 4 months ago. It has
been working completely fine up until now. Here are my current specs:

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Phenom X4 9150e 107 °F
Agena 65nm TechnologyRAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)Motherboard
Gateway RS780 (AM2) 114 °F

Graphics
DELL E193FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 9800 GT (EVGA) 115 °F

Hard Drives
625GB Seagate ST3640623AS ATA Device (SATA) 106 °F

I use Speccy, so sorry if that seems a little unorganized. I have been
getting areas of System_(something), IRQL Not equal to or less,
Memory_managment and a few others. At times, my computer will give me a
random BS without giving me details of what's going on. I had a total of
4G's of RAM in my computer, since I know Quad Cores need a min. of that.
I recently took out my 2 sticks of 512 Corsair XMS2 RAM. I've had the
RAM ever since I bought my older computer 5 years ago from ibuypower.com
Now here's the dilemma. I will get hardware problems detected with these
sticks of RAM in them. I take them out, leave the other sticks of RAM
that came from the manufacturer, and I get no problems. I woke up this
morning to yet another day filled of BS's. Why I would get them after
removing the older RAM, I don't know. But what I do know is.. is that
the 512 Corsair is 800mhz. The two sticks in my computer are 1G and the
other 2G. The 1G is 667mhz, the other runs at a lower speed. I was told
by tech support on the phone, that this wouldn't cause on issue, but
I've been told otherwise.

After running error scan on my computer, I came up with no errors on my
hard drive. Ran Maleware bytes, did detect this:
Files Infected:

c:\program files (x86)\VlcPlus\uninstall.exe (Trojan.FakeVLC) -
Quarantined and deleted successfully.

c:\program files (x86)\VlcPlus\Extras\setuppagerage.exe (Adware.Agent)
- Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I'm to my breaking point.. Especially since I just bought this computer
4 months ago. I do all of my computer work online, and all of my other
work online as well. I have been trying to send myself files through
email to save work incase I need to reformat. Could anyone please help
me? Called tech support 3 times and I was given no help. I figured
someone here could give me advice. I have not tweaked anything in BIOS,
as I have no idea how to do so, and don't like touching things I'm not
familiar with. At this point, I may just as well reformat and down grade
to Windows XP.

Thanks in advance-
Michelle

Old July 23rd 11, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

michelle83 wrote:
[...]

I can find very little on VlcPlus, which makes me wonder about
where it came from. I follow a "web of trust" rule for downloads,
first trying to determine the legitimacy of the download, before
installing it. When I can't determine that, I use virustotal.com
and upload the installer (up to 20MB files can be tested), to
get a second opinion. A malware writer, can also use virustotal
for testing, so there is no guarantee, that even a file scanned
as being clean, is safe to use.

With regard to memory, you can test various combinations of memory
in the computer. You'd start with a memtest86+ test floppy or CDROM.
Memtest86+ boots in place of an OS, and tests all of the memory,
with the exception of the "BIOS reserved" area. I haven't heard of
a tester, that covers more memory that this program. (Passing this
test, does not constitute an "acceptance" test - other tests
are required, to prove everything is well. This is just the start...)

http://www.memtest.org (Scroll half way down, to the download files)

For effective testing, you test one or two sticks at a time. When
testing two sticks, you install them in single channel mode.

The motherboard manual, may show various dual channel configurations.
When memory testing, you'd want to do something a little bit different.
So you'll need to reconfigure the DIMMs.

This is a "performance" configuration for memory. This isn't helpful
for memory testing, because when an error is logged, we can't tell
(easily and unambiguously) which DIMM is defective.

channel_0 channel_1
| |
Empty Empty
| |
DIMM DIMM --- size matched set

When using memtest86+, you'd arrange two sticks like this. This is
single channel mode. The sizes don't even need to be matched. The
reason for arranging them this way, is the "low memory DIMM" can't
have the BIOS reserved area tested, while the "upper memory DIMM"
gets fully tested.

channel_0 channel_1
| |
DIMM Empty
| |
DIMM Empty

After the test is complete, you then swap the DIMMs with one another,
still staying on channel_0 (or whatever channel you happened to use)
and repeat the test. Now the high memory DIMM, fulfills the low memory
function, and vice versa. By running two test passes in that way,
all bytes of memory are covered.

You may be able to tell from the failure addresses, by using that
configuration, which DIMM is defective. You can then switch to a single
DIMM configuration, and try to seek confirmation of your determination.

channel_0 channel_1
| |
Empty Empty
| |
DIMM Empty

The choice of channel doesn't matter much. With the current generations
of AMD processors with built-in memory controller, they're pretty well
the same. At one time, channel_0 behaved different than channel_1,
so more care was needed when installing DIMMs. Back in those (early S939)
days, installing the two DIMMs in the wrong channel, prevented the computer
from starting, even when the memory was perfectly good. That won't
happen today with AM2 or AM3 type systems.

Give that a try and see if anything shows up.

I generally wait for a full pass to complete (pass counter = 1),
before pressing the escape key and rebooting. If you're in a hurry,
and have a lot of test cases to run, you can use the interface of
the program, to advance to Test 5, and just run it, instead of
all the tests. Some tests are better at error finding than others.

You can press escape to exit memtest86+. Wait for the machine to
start posting, press Del or F2 and enter the BIOS, and when the
BIOS setup screen appears, then you can switch off and change the DIMM
configuration. You should remove power at the back of the computer
(unplug completely), in order to prevent standby voltages from
electrifying the DIMM sockets, while you're adding or removing DIMMs.
I unplug the computer, as a reminder that all power is removed.
If you just use the switch on the back, you may mistake the two
switch positions, and accidentally leave the power running.
(The DIMM can then be damaged.)

On Asus motherboards, a green LED continues to glow, until the
power supply is discharged. You wait until the green LED is
extinguished, before adding or pulling DIMMs. That will help
ensure a long life for the DIMMs. My Asrock motherboard, by
comparison, has no LED, so I have to wait a minute after the
plug is pulled, to be safe.

When not in use, the DIMMs should be stored in their antistatic
bag. Bring yourself, the computer, and the antistatic bag
to the same electrostatic potential, before transferring the
DIMM into the bag.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 23rd 11, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 23:48:13 -0400, Paul wrote:

I can find very little on VlcPlus, which makes me wonder about

http://www.itworld.com/security/1827...no-substitutes

As to the random BS, it may be a power supply problem. See
https://groups.google.com/group/alt....4597c45?hl=en&

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Old July 25th 11, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
michelle83[_2_]

Well, after doing the tests you advised me to do, I came up with no
errors. Even with the older RAM I was thinking that would cause this
issue. I haven't recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, as I've heard
that Vista gives a lot of problems. After upgrading, I had no issues..
Until now. Another BS with the message of this:

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFE20026546AF5
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF80002B9881A
BCP4: 0000000000000007
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\072411-42057-01.dmp
C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-80902-0.sysdata.xml

I have absolutely NO idea what that means and it would be great to have
some advice as to what it does mean. It was a BS that said Page Fault In
Non-Paged Area. I've done a google search on it and it keeps bringing up
memory issues. I did also notice that when this happened, my computer
completely locked up, my sound froze (I was listening to music) which
sounded like it was skipping.. and wouldn't stop until the computer had
officially reset.

I'm pretty much at my wits end and have no idea what to do at this
point. =/

Old July 25th 11, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

michelle83 wrote:
[...]

The STOP errors are listed here. I'm guessing "BCCode: 50"
is the same as 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Apparently this can read the .dmp file. Microsoft also has tools,
such as dumpchk.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

The aumha site mentions that software can cause that error, as
well as hardware.

Think back to what antivirus software or new driver software
you might have added, just before the errors showed up.

Paul

Old July 25th 11, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Thip

"michelle83" wrote in message

Hi all. I'm new to this, so forgive me if I posted in the wrong area.
I'm having issues with my computer, to the point where it won't stay on
for more than 5 minutes without giving me a BS. Here's to hoping it
won't crash while I'm posting this.

I always use Blue Screen View *first*:

http://www.nirsoft.net

It takes a lot of guesswork out of the troubleshooting.