Athlon XP questions

Old August 18th 03, 07:16 PM
Aragorn

Default Athlon XP questions

Hi,

I am considering buying the Athlon XP 1700. I plan to use this in a
Linux system. AMD has said (on its website) that the XP processor is
tailored for Windows XP. What does that mean?. Does it mean that I am
better of buying ThunderBird (cheaper too) or a Duron?.

Aragorn.

Old August 18th 03, 07:41 PM
bb

That I konw is that Xp stand for exstra performance in regard to the
occureance the XP processon while work at minor MHz speed respect the Intel
processon has the same performance.

Bye

Alfonso

Old August 18th 03, 08:50 PM
Isaac

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:03:40 -0400, Aragorn
wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
Hi,

I am considering buying the Athlon XP 1700. I plan to use this in a
Linux system. AMD has said (on its website) that the XP processor is
tailored for Windows XP. What does that mean?. Does it mean that I am
better of buying ThunderBird (cheaper too) or a Duron?.

Aragorn.

Follow up to my own post.
Are the accessories that come with the CPU worth the cost: extra arctic
compound, cpu shim, case fans, volcano cooling fan...

Aragorn

Thats the old , should I buy the OEM or retail question.
If you have a decent fan/heatsink laying around then use that. But
dont use some ancient junky old fan or it could overheat and destroy
your CPU. If you dont , then the stock one is good enough or it
wouldnt come with the unit. Most people want to buy a unit because
they want even better cooling. It will probably run about the same
cost at best and higher if you get an expensive unit. The decent
thermaltakes and other makes can be pretty cheap nowadays. Do your own
calculation and see if it makes sense with added shipping costs.

Old August 18th 03, 09:24 PM
S.Heenan

Aragorn wrote:
Hi,

I am considering buying the Athlon XP 1700. I plan to use this in a
Linux system. AMD has said (on its website) that the XP processor is
tailored for Windows XP.

Doesn't mean a thing. Both Linux and Windows will run on the x86 platform.

What does that mean?. Does it mean that I am
better of buying ThunderBird (cheaper too) or a Duron?.

The AthlonXP 1700+ will work in any Socket A motherboard. Buy the retail
version with the heatsink and fan.

--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

Old August 18th 03, 11:04 PM
Cuzman

"Aragorn" wrote in message

" I am considering buying the Athlon XP 1700. I plan to use this in a Linux
system. AMD has said (on its website) that the XP processor is tailored for
Windows XP. What does that mean?. Does it mean that I am better of buying
ThunderBird (cheaper too) or a Duron?."

The 'Athlon XP 1700+' has a clock speed of 1.47Ghz, not 1.7Ghz as the '1700'
might suggest. The tag simply means that it runs many Windows XP
applications at performances comparible to the best 1.7Ghz CPUs (namely
Pentium). http://tinyurl.com/kesl

Old August 19th 03, 01:29 AM
Jim Turner

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:
Hi,

I am considering buying the Athlon XP 1700. I plan to use this in a
Linux system. AMD has said (on its website) that the XP processor is
tailored for Windows XP. What does that mean?. Does it mean that I am
better of buying ThunderBird (cheaper too) or a Duron?.

Aragorn.

Follow up to my own post.
Are the accessories that come with the CPU worth the cost: extra arctic
compound, cpu shim, case fans, volcano cooling fan...

Aragorn

Are you going to be overclocking? If not forget artic silver, volcano
fans, etc.. An extra case fan can be useful no matter what the
processor as many power supplies don't really move much air with
their fans. Shims, in my experiance, are an attempt to take advantage
of clumsy installers, as they don't help with a properly installed
heatsink.

If you want a stable system, all you need is the stock heat sink/fan
combination, and maybe an extra case fan if you load the system up
with drives and a fast video card.
Old August 19th 03, 02:01 AM
Aragorn

wrote:

Aragorn wrote:

[...]

I might overclock but not now, sometime in the future maybe. I'll get
those fans then.

Old August 19th 03, 10:19 PM
Girgath

I have the Athalon 1700+, I just had a problem where it is 1 year old and I
can no longer use my computer at its fastest speed because I overheated it.
Everything is factory and I have already replaced the powersupply once. It
is important to note that an Athalon 1700+ has a top speed of 1.44 Ghz but
mine is running 1.1Ghz... NOT 1.7Ghz, I don't like athalon for this reason,
they lead you on... go for a pentium.

Old August 20th 03, 02:39 AM
Phrederik

"kony" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:19:17 GMT, "Girgath"

wrote:

I have the Athalon 1700+, I just had a problem where it is 1 year

old and I
can no longer use my computer at its fastest speed because I

overheated it.
Everything is factory and I have already replaced the powersupply

once. It
is important to note that an Athalon 1700+ has a top speed of 1.44

Ghz but
mine is running 1.1Ghz... NOT 1.7Ghz, I don't like athalon for this

reason,
they lead you on... go for a pentium.

That has nothing to do with the Athlon, it's most likely a specific
motherboard problem, else you got another questionable power supply.
If it'd been a Pentium CPU, all else being equal, you'd have the

same
problem.

Nope... A P4 chip is smart enough to slow down if it's overheating.