Dual Channel Memory Question

Old September 7th 03, 01:11 PM
CiRcUiT

Default Dual Channel Memory Question

I took the plunge and bought the following;

Aopen AK79D-400VN NForce2 Ultra 400 MB
AMD Barton 2500+
2x256MB DDR400 PC3200

Everything works excellent. Right now, as I'm typing this, it just got done
it's burn in (Sandra) at 11x200 (2.2 GHz or 3200+ speeds) at a maximum temp
of 47șC. Average was 44.5șC. This is with the original AMD HSF! Can't wait
for water cooling! =D

My only question is that I bought 2 sticks on RAM for dual channel support
but when I populate DIMM1 and DIMM3 it won't even POST. It just sits there
beeping one long beep which I assume means there is a memory problem. Is it
that dual channel needs all the slots populated? If so I will go out and get
a 512 stick to populate DIMM3. The only way I can get it to POST is with the
256 sticks in D1 & D2. I am not new to computers, just the NForce2 chipset.

Thanks for your help.

Just in case my systems is:
AMD Barton 2500+ at 3200+ (11x200)
2x256MB PC3200 DDR400 in Dimm1 and Dimm2
Aopen AK79D-400VN
MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB (300 core/530 memory)
Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1 (Need the line in and mic connectors w/5.1
speakers and onboard sound can't do it)
WD 80GB
Seagate 15GB
LG 40x12x40 CD-RW
8xDVD-ROM

Old September 7th 03, 01:56 PM
Nystagmus

"CiRcUiT" wrote in message
[...]

I have the AOpen AK79G Max which is close to your mainboard and according to
Aopen's website share the same BIOS. I have two sticks of Apacer 256MB of
PC3200. First stick in DIMM 1 and the second stick in DIMM 3. When you
first boot up your computer in the BIOS screen just above the memory check
you should see a line that says, "Dual Boot Enabled" or something like that.
That is how you know it is enabled. If you don't see it then....

You didn't list the make of your RAM sticks. Are you using AOpen's
recommended PC3200? When PC3200 first came out there was no standard for it
so all makers of PC3200 used differing specs. The following link will take
you AOpen's web page listing the tested RAM that works for your mainboard.

http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/m...ction=519&Mode
l=720

I use Apacer RAM and it is working well in my system. You can find Apacer
RAM at

www.newegg.com

Good luck
Nystagmus

Old September 7th 03, 02:28 PM
CiRcUiT

"Nystagmus" wrote in message

"CiRcUiT" wrote in message
[...]

I cheaped out and didn't buy the 2x256 in a matched kit thinking it should
work. My ram is made by "elixer" and is not listed in that report. I'm going
to go back and get a matched pair if it's worth the hassle and the price
difference for dual channel. I'm going there next weekend anyway for a
better PSU and a neon to replace the one I broke when putting this thing
back together. (Do NOT lean on the neon tube... Do NOT lean on the neon
tube... Do NOT lean on the broken glass tube... ARG!)

I'm still not entirely sold on the benefits I would see in "real-world"
applications and games with dual-channel.

Old September 7th 03, 03:35 PM
Doughnut

Using 2 sticks of ram will enable Dual Channel, Dual channel is a feature
of the motherboard not the ram.
I guess your mainboard will be similar in that the ram slots have 2 together
and one on its own, 1 stick of ram in the single slot and 1 stick in the one
of the other 2 will enable dual channel.

doughnut

Old September 7th 03, 07:12 PM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:35:22 +0100
"Doughnut" wrote:

Using 2 sticks of ram will enable Dual Channel, Dual channel is a
feature of the motherboard not the ram.
I guess your mainboard will be similar in that the ram slots have 2
together and one on its own, 1 stick of ram in the single slot and 1
stick in the one of the other 2 will enable dual channel.

FWIW, the tests on the aopen site that say which slots were used use 1
and 3 mostly.
=20
doughnut
=20
=20
"CiRcUiT" wrote in message

"Nystagmus" wrote in message

"CiRcUiT" wrote in message
I took the plunge and bought the following;

Aopen AK79D-400VN NForce2 Ultra 400 MB
AMD Barton 2500+
2x256MB DDR400 PC3200

Everything works excellent. Right now, as I'm typing this, it
just got
done
it's burn in (Sandra) at 11x200 (2.2 GHz or 3200+ speeds) at a
maximum
temp
of 47=BAC. Average was 44.5=BAC. This is with the original AMD HSF!
Can't

wait
for water cooling! =3DD

[...]

PC3200. First stick in DIMM 1 and the second stick in DIMM 3.=20
When you first boot up your computer in the BIOS screen just above
the memory

check
you should see a line that says, "Dual Boot Enabled" or something
like

that.
That is how you know it is enabled. If you don't see it then....

You didn't list the make of your RAM sticks. Are you using
AOpen's recommended PC3200? When PC3200 first came out there was
no standard

for
it
so all makers of PC3200 used differing specs. The following link
will

take
you AOpen's web page listing the tested RAM that works for your

mainboard.

http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/m...unction=3D519=

&Mode
l=3D720

[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old September 7th 03, 09:09 PM
CiRcUiT

Yes, my mb has 3 DIMM slots with 2 together and 1 seperated from the others.
Two are blue and the one next to DIMM1 is black. (As in
Blue/Black/Space/Blue) I put the RAM in 1 and 2 and everything works great
but no dual channel (as I expected). I put the RAM in 1 and 3 and can get
the board to post but not boot into XP. It resets before the loading screen
appears. Maybe I'm not seating the RAM properly. The store I go to has
matched kits of RAM specifically for Dual Channel (also with CL2) but these
sets are twice as much. If I can't get it to work by next weekend I'll just
bring this RAM back and get the matched set. I still don't see why it won't
work. Maybe I'll play with my RAM settings also... I'll keep this thread
posted...

In the end is all this trouble even worth it? Will dual channel really make
a difference?

.. .

Old September 7th 03, 09:37 PM
Nystagmus

"CiRcUiT" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

"CiRcUiT" wrote in message

"Nystagmus" wrote in message

"CiRcUiT" wrote in message
[...]

You don't need to purchase matched kits of RAM. They cost too much and
don't offer any "real world" advantage. Just purchase two sticks of the
same RAM at the same time. Again, make sure the RAM is approved for your
mainboard.

There have been many posts stating that the difference between Dual and non
Dual is marginal in day to day computing. In gaming and OC'ing the answer
may be different. I don't game much other than Diablo II or Myst like games
and I don't OC since a AMD 2500 Barton Core is fast enough for everything I
do.

Nystagmus

Old September 8th 03, 02:23 AM
CiRcUiT

I haven't tried DIMM2 and DIMM3. I never thought to try it. D1 & D3 will
post but won't even load XP even with lower RAM timings. I'll try D2 & D3
and see. It would be better if I could find RAM that has been approved by
Aopen for the board but the brand of RAM they sell is "elixer" which hasn't
been tested by Aopen.

This system got a little flakey today at 200x11 so I put the vcore to 1.65
and it seems stable again. Just ran 3Dmark2k3 and got 1711. 3Dmark2k1 is
12684.

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
CiRcUiT wrote:
I cheaped out and didn't buy the 2x256 in a matched kit thinking it
should work. My ram is made by "elixer" and is not listed in that
report.

Don't pay a premium for "Dual Channel Ram" or "Matched pairs", just buy

two
the same.

I purchased Corsair TwinX 'cos it was cheaper than 2 seperate modules.

Don't buy cheap ram either.

Have you tried slots 2 and 3? (where slot 1 is closest to CPU, slot 3 is
furthest)

Have you tried increasing the latency? Are you running in synch? (ram at
100% of FSB speed)

Ben

Old September 8th 03, 10:29 AM
CiRcUiT

Didn't work... Same as usual. Will POST but no xp. I'm just going to bite
the bullet and buy the matched pair next weekend. They better exchange this
cheap ass ram ($75/stick=$150 CND) for the matched pair ($240 CND) though.
They are pretty good about that sort of thing. I buy alot from them as I
build systems for family and friends and friends of theirs and etc... So
much for my adventures is dual channel for now.

Old September 9th 03, 12:31 AM
Ben Pope

CiRcUiT wrote:
I haven't tried DIMM2 and DIMM3. I never thought to try it. D1 & D3
will post but won't even load XP even with lower RAM timings. I'll
try D2 & D3 and see. It would be better if I could find RAM that has
been approved by Aopen for the board but the brand of RAM they sell
is "elixer" which hasn't been tested by Aopen.

This system got a little flakey today at 200x11 so I put the vcore to
1.65 and it seems stable again. Just ran 3Dmark2k3 and got 1711.
3Dmark2k1 is 12684.

What WAS vcore? It should be 1.65V...

Ben

Dual Channel memory problem eiurgoleiop General 5 July 10th 04 03:06 PM
Dualchannel DDR DevilsPGD General 6 May 30th 04 11:50 PM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM
What utilities can tell me if hyper-threading or dual channel DDR memory is working? gotmail? General 0 August 10th 03 07:10 PM
DDR Dual Channel Question Dr. Mr. Horse Overclocking AMD Processors 2 July 24th 03 11:10 AM