Installing an Old Harddrive?

Old January 10th 05, 02:46 AM
Zip

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:41:29 -0500, "Zip" wrote:

I don't recall...

When you boot into that F drive, did you try changing over to the C
drive? Just do a...

c: enter

see what happens.

Well, the only time I have ever had access to the Maxtor and it's data is
been when I have set the Maxtor as a slave through WinXP. So I'm assuming
that performing a "C:" from the maxtor (F would just bring me back to the
WinXP drive

Old January 10th 05, 02:49 AM
Zip

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:41:29 -0500, "Zip" wrote:

Here's a pretty good link...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...=en&lr=lang_en

Watch the wrap.

You might try #6.

I'm guessing you haven't run a scandisk on it yet.

No, and based on the sector error I got earlier, this was going to be my
next move. The only problem is that WinXP is the only thing that recognizes
the Maxtor, thus, I'm going to have to use WinXP to perform the scandisk,
and not a DOS boot floppy like I'd like to. Do you think this would be a
problem?

Old January 10th 05, 04:41 AM
Zip

"Trent©" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:41:29 -0500, "Zip" wrote:

Here's a pretty good link...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...=en&lr=lang_en

Watch the wrap.

You might try #6.

I'm guessing you haven't run a scandisk on it yet.

Just ran 'chkdsk F: /F /R

Result:

Windows replaced bad clusters in file \386SPART.PAR
of name (null).
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows is verifying free space...
Bad sectors found.ted...
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

129,931,264 bytes total disk space.
121,362,432 bytes in 8 hidden files.
55,296 bytes in 1 files.
8,484,864 bytes in bad sectors.
28,672 bytes available on disk.

2,048 bytes in each allocation unit.
63,443 total allocation units on disk.
14 allocation units available on disk.

Thought just fixing the bad sectors would allow the drive to boot, maybe,
but no luck...

Old January 10th 05, 05:01 AM
N9WOS

No, and based on the sector error I got earlier, this was going to be my
next move. The only problem is that WinXP is the only thing that
recognizes the Maxtor, thus, I'm going to have to use WinXP to perform the
scandisk, and not a DOS boot floppy like I'd like to. Do you think this
would be a problem?

A few notes here......
Go to the old laptop with dos on it
Go to the DOS directory and copy the MSD.EXE file,
from there, on to a boot floppy.

MSD.EXE is a general diagnostic, and information program.
You should be able to run it and see what drives are available anywhere on
the system.

(IE) if DriveSpace relocated the C: to another drive letter,
but couldn't mount the compressed volume to assign it as C:\

Don't worry about the 386spart.par file
It's just the win 3.X swap file.
If it's lost, you have lost nothing.

Are you running the drive in the same drive geometry settings
as it's original installation?
Those old drives can be set to FOUR different geometries.

One for newer computers,
and three that can work on older computers with the
x head x number cylinders and x sector limitations.

If you had it set in the compatible geometry setting, and formatted it,
Then put it in an auto detect computer,
The auto detect may set it to the default setting.
When you try to read it, you may get the directory listing,
but all the information will be messed up and unusable.
(ie) won't boot.

Hear is the possible settings.

J13/J14 Power-up Configuration
J14 J13 Cyl Hds Sec MB
CLOSED CLOSED 936 16 17 130.3 (default)
OPEN OPEN 1024 14 17 124.8
CLOSED OPEN 762 8 39 121.7
OPEN CLOSED 900 15 17 117.5

Make a note of the setting on your drive,
and then see if the computer bios shows the same values.
If it does not, then manually set the values in the bios setup to match the
drive.

Old January 10th 05, 05:24 AM
CBFalconer

Zip wrote:
"Trent©" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:41:29 -0500, "Zip" wrote:

Here's a pretty good link...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...=en&lr=lang_en

Watch the wrap.

You might try #6.

I'm guessing you haven't run a scandisk on it yet.

No, and based on the sector error I got earlier, this was going to be my
next move. The only problem is that WinXP is the only thing that recognizes
the Maxtor, thus, I'm going to have to use WinXP to perform the scandisk,
and not a DOS boot floppy like I'd like to. Do you think this would be a
problem?

DOS 6 etc used chkdsk, not scandisk.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old January 10th 05, 06:26 AM
N9WOS

Thought just fixing the bad sectors would allow the drive to boot, maybe,
but no luck...

A few step by step things here.

Under win xp.
Hit the start button.
Select "my computer"
Go to "view"
Select "details"

If the "file system" header is not present.
Then right click the header bar, and put a check by the "file system"
selection.

Tell me what it list for the Maxtor drive!

(ie) fat 16, fat 32, or NTFS.
It should be FAT 16.
If not, stop and tell us.

Hit the start button again.
Right click "my computer".
Select "manage" from the list.
Go to "disk management."
You should see both of the hard drives listed there.
Make sure that it says "healthy" under the status header
for the second hard drive.

Right click the little icon for the second hard drive.
In the popup menu you should see a selection for "mark partition as active."
If it is grayed out, then the partition is set active.
If it is not grayed out, then select it to set the
primary partition on the second drive as active.

That way, it will be bootable.

Double check the drive geometry settings that I mentioned in the other post.
And then try booting from it, as the primary drive with no CD/DVD drives
hooked up.

It should work.
If it doesn't, then next step.

Get a dos 6.22 boot floppy with MSD.EXE on it, WITHOUT the Drive space
drivers.
.................................................. ...........................................
To remove DriveSpace drivers from the floppy, do the following.
Put the floppy in the computer with Win xp running.
Bring up the floppy drive folder (A:\) on win xp.
Go into the "tools" button on the top of the folder, and
Select "folder options"
Select "View" tab
Under the "advanced settings" section
Select "show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"
It will give you a warning but tell it that you are sure you wan to do that.
Select "OK" to get back to the A:\ folder and you should see stuff like
IO.SYS
MSD.SYS
DRVSPACE.BIN
If you see nothing with DRVSPACE on the front,
then there is no drive space drivers.
You can proceed to the next step.
If there is files with DRVSPACE on the front,
!!!!!!!!! ON THE FLOPPY DRIVE !!!!!!!!!!!
Remove everything that starts with DRVSPACE.
!!!!!!!!! ON THE FLOPPY DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
.................................................. .......................

Boot from that floppy disk with the Maxtor drive set as primary..

You should see the raw drive as C:\
(ie) 110MB drivespace.000 file and stuff, with 8MB free.

If you don't then run MSD.EXE and check to see if the
C drive has been re listed as some other odd drive name.
If you see any drive listed under "disk drives" other than A:\ that's it
Go to the DOS prompt and see if you can change to that drive..

If you don't see any other drive then stop everything there and tell us.
You have a corrupted master boot record, or some other problem.

If you did see it as drive C:\, then boot to a DOS disk WITH the drive space
drivers on it.
And drive C should be the inside of the compressed drive.
If you can't find C drive, then run MSD.EXE to find out where it's been
relocated.
If you still see the raw uncompressed C:\ drive,
Or it has been relocated to some odd drive number with no C:\ present,
or you had the primary drive come up as some
odd drive number in the previous steps.

Then you will need to manually mount the drive.

Go to the dos laptop and copy all the files out of the dos directory
That have Drvspace on the front half, to the floppy disk WITH drivespace
drivers.
(While you are in the dos directory)
Copy DriveSpace.* a:\
Copy the drive space files to the free space of the raw uncompressed drive.
On the raw uncompressed drive, run "Drvspace/mount"
The compressed drive should show up as the next available drive letter.

If you can't find it, then run MSD.EXE to find the drive letter it assigned
to it.
You should see three drive listed.
The A:\(floppy drive), the raw drive, and the compressed drive.

If anything goes astray from the listed steps, then stop there and tell us.

Old January 10th 05, 06:47 AM
N9WOS

"N9WOS kicks himself."
DUUU!!!!!!!!!

Second method.
You said you already made a copy of the Drvspace.000 file on your xp drive.
That is the compressed drive volume
You can mount the compressed volume no mater what drive it's on.

If you have any problem reading the Maxtor drive when you boot from a floppy
then
Just take that 13GB hard drive with the 300MB partition on it, and put it in
as a second
Drive to the win XP hard disk.
Boot to win xp and copy the Drvspace.000 file over to the 300Mb partition.

Then set the 13GB hard drive as primary and boot from the floppy disk
with drive space drivers, and files on it. (from other post.)
And run drive space to decompress the compressed drive volume.
Or you can put a second 300MB partition on the 13GB drive
So that you can copy contents out of the compressed drive.

Old January 10th 05, 08:18 PM
Trent©

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:41:11 -0500, "Zip" wrote:

Here's some more good reading...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...n& lr=lang_en

Have a nice one...

Trent©

Old January 12th 05, 12:20 AM
J. Yazel

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:18:47 GMT, Trent© wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 22:41:11 -0500, "Zip" wrote:

Here's some more good reading...

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...n& lr=lang_en

Have a nice one...
Trent©

========================

Did you notice the date that appears on the first line of the screen at that
URL?

I apparently don't understand what I am looking at.

Jack

Old January 12th 05, 01:11 AM
Zip

"N9WOS" wrote in message
[...]

Wow. Such an easy solution, the first one I tried, and it worked. What I did
is create 2 300 MB partitions on the 13 GB hard drive. Copied all 9 files
from the Maxtor to partition 1. Left partition 2 empty. Booted to DOS from
the floppy, making sure that DRVSPACE.INI, DRVSPACE.BIN and DRVSPACE.SYS
were on the floppy, and the line DEVICE=DRVSPACE.SYS was in config.sys.
Well, on the C: drive were all the files I wanted! The D: was, of course,
empty.

One last question, looking at the web, it recommends using:

D:\ xcopy C:\*.* /a /e /k

as the best way to transfer one entire drive to another (what I want to do).
However, I get an "/k is an invalid switch". What's the best way to transfer
an entire volume?

Thanks again, everyone!

Maxtor Harddrive? philo General 15 January 2nd 05 12:36 PM
new SATA harddrive recommendations? billybronco General 6 October 31st 04 12:27 AM
Firewire harddrive speeds Erwin R. Leijen General 1 October 1st 04 02:09 PM
cleaning out harddrive Dwayne Epps General 3 August 25th 03 11:29 PM
salvaging data from harddrive Campbellbrian General 1 August 11th 03 07:13 PM