Memory Problem: doom3 and Halflife2 Crashing

Old December 4th 04, 08:46 PM
David B Lake-Jones

Default Memory Problem: doom3 and Halflife2 Crashing

Guys can someone advise...?

My hardware is not up to it I believe....

I have a A2500, 512m DDR, with a GForce 4800Ti SE 128m video card....

Doom 3 used to crash all the time midgame....

however HL2 is now doing it to me, however this time it returns the
following error message.....

......the instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x01b6f5c0". The
memory could not be "read".
Click ok to terminate the programme......

After 0 to 10 minutes, at any point the game crashes on me, freezing...
sometimes I get this dialogue box on the front of the screen, other times
behind the screen.

Any ideas... is it my memory???? Does anyone know a good free memory
checking programme?

tnx
Dai

Old December 5th 04, 12:23 AM

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:46:12 GMT, "David B Lake-Jones"
wrote:

Guys can someone advise...?

My hardware is not up to it I believe....

I have a A2500, 512m DDR, with a GForce 4800Ti SE 128m video card....

Doom 3 used to crash all the time midgame....

however HL2 is now doing it to me, however this time it returns the
following error message.....

.....the instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x01b6f5c0". The
memory could not be "read".
Click ok to terminate the programme......

After 0 to 10 minutes, at any point the game crashes on me, freezing...
sometimes I get this dialogue box on the front of the screen, other times
behind the screen.

Any ideas... is it my memory???? Does anyone know a good free memory
checking programme?

tnx
Dai

Yeah memtest86. Do a simple search for it in google. Run it over a
long period and errors might come up if they dont right away.

You could also check your temperature on your system and do a scan
disk of your hard disk. Take the side of the case off and make sure
the fan on your graphics card is running and not clogged with dust or
any other fans on your motherboard.

If your mem is suspected take each stick out and try it so you can
isolate it if you are using two sticks of course.

I did see random freezes with a cheapo power supply once on a system.

..

Old December 5th 04, 11:13 AM
Zdenek Sojka

I have some memory problems when trasfering to AGP (missing textures), when
I set in BIOS some settings to Ultra etc.
(also, I had PC crashing when playing games or playing overlay video)
Depends on your BIOS settings, try to set everything to least-performance
(except DRAM timing, set to Default).

I write this because I had problems with games and memtest86 after one day
runs didnt find any errors...
(the problem was not in memory but in memory-to-AGP transfer)

Zdenek Sojka

" píse v diskusním príspevku

.

Old December 5th 04, 02:33 PM
kony

wrote:

Guys can someone advise...?

My hardware is not up to it I believe....

I have a A2500, 512m DDR, with a GForce 4800Ti SE 128m video card....

Doom 3 used to crash all the time midgame....

however HL2 is now doing it to me, however this time it returns the
following error message.....

.....the instruction at "0x241f8977" referenced memory at "0x01b6f5c0". The
memory could not be "read".
Click ok to terminate the programme......

After 0 to 10 minutes, at any point the game crashes on me, freezing...
sometimes I get this dialogue box on the front of the screen, other times
behind the screen.

Any ideas... is it my memory???? Does anyone know a good free memory
checking programme?

Memory or CPU/motherboard problems could cause this, but if
other stressfull things aren't crashing the system?
Is it only happening in these two games or are these (all
the games you're playing, or at least the only ones
semi-demanding)?

I'm wondering if you might have a failed video card fan,
generalized case airflow problem or similar causing video
card to overheat, or the power supply is marginal.

You might take the case cover off and point a fan at the
interior to see if that makes any difference.

Also set bios AGP-related settings to those most
conservative, perhaps a 64 or 128MB aperture setting and
disabling AGP 8X
Old December 5th 04, 03:15 PM
Mike Walsh

This is not a hardware problem. It is a memory allocation problem and occurs, I believe, when an application attempt to access memory that the OS has not allocated to it. It occurs with many applicaiton and I have not found a cure for it except with a very few Microsoft applications. This is probably because the OS people blame it on the application, and application writers blame it on the OS. It seems to occur mostly when non-standard setting are used in the application. Try reinstalling the games and see if they run OK with default settings.

--

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.