6800 Ultra for £20?

Old August 19th 04, 01:56 PM
Chris

The upshot of all this:
If you are willing to risk losing £20 (not technically losing, since

you'll
be getting some mobile phone boosters that you can always sell on eBay or
summat)

hardly, these " 4 pack of mobile phone signal boosters " can be found for £3
each online! if they even work !

Old August 19th 04, 02:26 PM
GTX_SlotCar

You see it doesn't take much to run a scam and be profitable with a net
full of idiots.

God must love idiots. He sure makes a lot of them.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old August 19th 04, 09:22 PM
Alan Sawdon

Errr... Abuse??? What the hell have I done that's abuse? This wasn't spam,
this was a genuine email to let people know who might be interested. If
you're not, fine thats no problem, no skin off my nose, etc, but I fail to
see how this is classed as 'abuse'. Stop being so touchy! "This is OUR
newsgroup not YOURS! I'm gonna report you for ruining our lives!"

Like I said, no-one is forcing anyone to do anything. I simply pointed out
the scheme - obviously not illegal here in the UK - and asked that if anyone
joins, they could use my name as referrer. Everyone here is screaming
"Scam!", but if you get your item - as I said, a friend has - then
technically it ain't a scam, right? Sure, the guys running this are making
off like thieves, but if you work it right you can get your stuff and it's
the people at the bottom of the list who don't. I was trying to tell you how
to do this if you were interested, thats all.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT stupid. I know that, unless you're really high
on the list, you've got a poor/no chance of getting your stuff. The only way
you can change that is by getting referred. I currently need 1613 people to
sign up to that list before I get my card. ***Not gonna happen***. But if I
get 20 people to refer me, by whatever means (people here, ebay, friends,
myself, whatever), I then only need 1092. Another 20, it's 572 (minus the 40
who referred me, so 532). I'm still a way off, but it can work if you get
this to happen.

I was willing to give this a go, and am perfectly willing to lose £20 (which
I probably will) to see if I can work the list and get myself a card - £20
is peanuts to me, and I don't really care too much if I never get anything
back from this. I stated, right from the outset, that this was a **GAMBLE**,
and if you weren't interested, don't even bother reading the post. I never
tried to scam anyone (I thought I was pretty clear about how it worked, and
I'm being pretty clear about it now). The plain and simple fact of the
matter is, that it is *possible* to get yourself a 6800 card for £20 - or
maybe a Nokia Ngage? Yesterday, you only needed 19 people to sign up to get
one of those! Wow, super-scam right? Impossible, yeah? Never happen?
Whatever...

I won't bother you with this again. You're not interested. Fine. But
*please* refrain from calling me stupid, or accusing me of so-called
'abuse'. I'll be mailing myself to put things straight with
them. Thanks so much for causing me that trouble, you obviously had no
better way of using your time.

#Sawdon#

"Les" wrote in message ...
PS. Abuse report sent to

--
Les
AMD64 3200+

Old August 19th 04, 11:43 PM
Les

Alan Sawdon wrote:
Errr... Abuse??? What the hell have I done that's abuse? This wasn't spam,
this was a genuine email to let people know who might be interested. If
you're not, fine thats no problem, no skin off my nose, etc, but I fail to
see how this is classed as 'abuse'. Stop being so touchy! "This is OUR
newsgroup not YOURS! I'm gonna report you for ruining our lives!"

Not being touchy, nor so childish as to make silly comments such as yours.

Like I said, no-one is forcing anyone to do anything. I simply pointed out
the scheme - obviously not illegal here in the UK

Not yet, laws are to be passed in the Autumn apparently. Its name is
gift-chaining, rather than pyramid scam.

-Everyone here is screaming
"Scam!", but if you get your item - as I said, a friend has - then
technically it ain't a scam, right?

***Sure, the guys running this are making
off like thieves, but if you work it right you can get your stuff and it's
the people at the bottom of the list who don't. ***

Which is what makes it a rip off, which you are trying to help
propagate, hence abuse report.

Old August 20th 04, 02:54 AM
J. Clarke

Alan Sawdon wrote:

[...]

ROF,L.

You're never gonna make any money _that_ way you know. First rule of
snake-oil sales--don't lose control of the pitch, which you have just done.

#Sawdon#

"Les" wrote in message ...
PS. Abuse report sent to

--
Les
AMD64 3200+
2x512 MB corsair platinum 3500
Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP
Leadtek A400 GT
SB Audigy

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 20th 04, 08:21 AM
Chip

"Alan Sawdon" wrote in message
Yeah it is, but for £20 I'll give it a shot. If it was £200 that'd be a
whole 'nother story!!!

Alan, I hate to spoil your fun, but can I just tell you, you have ZERO
chance of getting a 6800 Ultra like this. ZERO.

I have nothing against pyramid schemes. In fact I have even joined one
myself once. But its necessary to understand how they work and - how this
particular one works - before parting with money.

I see you are no. 62 on the list. And the box on the right is 26 names
long. This means that every time another 26 people sign up, you move up 1.
So (rocket science), after another 126 x 62 = 1612 people sign up, bingo:
you get your card. Doesn't sound too impossible, does it?

Well it is IMPOSSIBLE. Lets envisage when 999 people have signed up. You
are still 613 names short of your target. Person no. 1000 comes along and
thinks about joining. And then he thinks "before I hand over my money,
what's my chances". He thinks about it and realises that another 26,000
people have to join before he gets his card. If only another 25,999 people
sign up, he won't get anything. So - sensibly - he decides not to bother.
You are completely stuffed, and you are still 613 names short.

Now I use the 1000th person only to illustrate the point. In reality this
list will fail probably with around 100 names on it. If it gets to 1000
names, I will buy you a 6800 Ultra myself and give it to you for nothing.
Seriously.

The likelihood is that the top 3 or 4 or 5 people may get cards, if they are
lucky. If you are number 10, you have NO chance. As number 62, you have
SQRT(f*ck all) chance. Sorry.

BTW, interesting maths: In theory, for you to get your card 1612 x £20 =
£32,240 will have been paid out. And 62 cards handed over. That means the
site owners get £520 for each card. Nice scam, isn't it.

Chip.

Old August 20th 04, 09:14 AM
Chip

"Hervey Cleckley" wrote in message
It always surprises me, how gullible otherwise intelligent people can be.

In
college I remember Econ majors swearing that these things worked! Idiots.
The analog in physics is a perpetual motion machine.

But for all of you who disagree, I own some beautiful beach-front property
in Ohio. Great view of the Atlantic. Only 20$.

(For avoidance of doubt, this list will certainly fail well before Alan
Sawdon gets his card, and I have told him as much.)

However, they CAN work for some people in limited circumstances. There was
one such scheme back in the 1980's when I was at Imperial College in
London.

This was a brilliant scheme. It was very simple and had some unique
features that enabled it to work. First, the number of people needed to
sustain it were quite small. Most pyramid schemes fall down because you run
out of human beings! Send £1 to 50 people type schemes. 50x50x50x50...
etc. and the human race is soon not big enough. Another pitfall is apathy.
"I can't be bothered to do whatever to get my money. I give up". So
again the scheme fails. But this one was different...

It worked with a piece of paper with a single list of 12 names and address
on it. That was all. You joined the scheme by buying a copy from your
mate, for which he charged you £20. Sign your name at the bottom of the
list and send a further £20 to the person at the top of the list, and the
cross off his name. **Critically**, you sending the money had to be
witnessed by the person selling you the list. Anway, you are now on the
list at positon 12. Its cost you £40 - which, as a student - was a lot of
money.

Because it was a lot of money, it had one vital effect: People took it
seriously. A poor student could not afford to throw away £40 and would work
very hard to get his £40 back. It was a lot of money to a student in those
days.

To get you money back you did this: Copy your list and sell it to 2 other
people. Only 2. "Do I know 2 people that I can get £40 from after a few
pints in the pub". That was the question everyone asked before they joined
up. And lots of people figure, hell yes. I know I can convince Dave or
John or whatever. We're best mates. I *know* I can convince him. He may
be sceptical, but after a few beers I know I get get him to sign up. So I
will join. I will pay £40 and if all else fails, I know I can get my money
back.

Each person to whom you sold your list gave you £20 and thereby you
recovered your £40 outlay. (And probably did so in a matter of days. I
did. I bought in for £40 and got 2 people to buy my list from me the very
next day.) Each of those 2 people sign at the bottom of the list and send
the person at the top £20. But now you are at position 11. And, more
important, you are on two lists.

Follow this to its natural conclusion and your are at position 1 on the list
and 8,192 people send you £20. And you are £163,840 better for the
experience.

Back in 1982, I knew someone who made nearly £30,000 on this scheme.
Incredible though it may sound, the guy actually bought a flat in Sloan
Square in London on the proceeds! (Today, that property is probably worth
£1m+) People making £100's or even £1,000's was commonplace... which was
why joined. I was staying with a friend of mine and every morning, I saw
dozens of envelopes containing £20 arrive through the post! It was quite
amazing. Complete strangers sending him money.

Myself, I made nothing. The pyramid collapsed before I got to position 1.
How far up I got, I will never know. But no-one sent me £20. As with all
of these schemes, there will have been a lot of losers who never got their
£40 back.

Cheers,

Chip

Old August 20th 04, 04:37 PM
Les

Chip wrote:
[...]

But he thinks he is gambling, at least it seems that way in his response
to me.

Old August 20th 04, 04:54 PM
Chip

=
£32,240 will have been paid out. And 62 cards handed over. That means

the
site owners get £520 for each card. Nice scam, isn't it.

Chip.

But he thinks he is gambling, at least it seems that way in his response
to me.

I consider a gamble to be something where I put up some investment with a
chance of an increased return.

I think he has NO chance. Not like winning the lottery - where you would
have to be very very very lucky, but it *might* happen. At least with the
lottery, you're in it with another 30 million people, all of whom have the
same chance.

He's got 61 people with ever increasing better odds than him, above him. He
might as well just burn the £20 note.

Chip