Not Impressed with 5200

Old September 4th 03, 12:05 PM
OZoNE

Default Not Impressed with 5200

I just built a system and the person wanted a 5200 card (price reasons)
I tried explainin its not the fastest out there...he didntcare.
But OMG that card is slow!!!
I have a system with a Ti4200 core300/mem 650 that blows the fx away (yes I
know its runnin 4600 speeds)
but my other system with a GF4 MX440 is faster at 3dgames at same res/detail
settings.
Is there some tweaks Im missing???
tried NVhardpage...tried clockin card up a little.....tried every possible
performance tweak I could and it does no better.
Please Im open to suggestions other then return the card and get a 5600
OZoNE

Old September 4th 03, 12:19 PM
Bratboy

Well the 5200 is definitly not a stellar card but with as badly as yours is
being I beaten wonder if you didnt get the Lite version thats out ther (has
a 64 bit mem control vs normal versions that use a 128 bit mem control)
That can and will drop performance big time. I origonal got one of those
lite type cards and sadly even my old GF3 kicked its but....only way it
outshines the gf3 in 3dmark03 was because it could run some of the tests the
gf3 cant. In mark01 tho the gf3 anded the lite 5200 its but.

Old September 4th 03, 12:23 PM
Dave

How wide is the memory bus on that 5200 you bought? If it's a 64 bit card
then that would explain it.

Dave

Old September 5th 03, 07:54 AM
Ron Merts

I agree with Bratboy and Dave. Sounds like you got one of the 64-bit
versions of the FX 5200. Those are damned slow. The FX 5200 is not a
speed-demon by any stretch (it's an entry-level card) but it plays games
decently.

Ron