upgrade from a mx440 se 64mb to...

Old September 1st 03, 10:09 PM
Benjamin Mort

Default upgrade from a mx440 se 64mb to...

I'm thinking of upgrading my mx 440se to either a Ti4200, FX5600 or Ati9600,
but would like to know if i will see much improvement (other than fps) for
older games such as counterstike. when i upgraded from my voodoo 4 to the
mx440 i noticed a good increase in picture quality (for example when
displaying wall textures in games) but and would like to know if i can
expect an improvement (and how much) with my suggested upgrade.

Thanks for any advise

Ben.

Old September 2nd 03, 02:22 AM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Benjamin Mort" wrote in message
I'm thinking of upgrading my mx 440se to either a Ti4200, FX5600 or

Ati9600,
but would like to know if i will see much improvement (other than fps) for
older games such as counterstike. when i upgraded from my voodoo 4 to the
mx440 i noticed a good increase in picture quality (for example when
displaying wall textures in games) but and would like to know if i can
expect an improvement (and how much) with my suggested upgrade.

I upgraded from a GF2MX to a Ti4200.

A faster card will allow you to turn on AA, AN (anisotropic filtering) and
Texture Sharpening. If you turn those things on with your current card, you
take a big FPS hit. Without those things turned on you wouldn't see much
improvement in graphics with CounterStrike. In MOHAA, smoke and explosions
look better. Quite a few things look better in RTCW, flames, cobwebs, smoke.
Colors are brighter in all the games I have with the Ti4200.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Thanks for any advise

Ben.

Old September 2nd 03, 02:53 AM
[D.A]!@#Bourne

if u want AA and AN filtering then surely go for the Ati 9600 card. Ati has
proven now and again that their drivers work better with these two settings
especially with AN. also Ti4200 and 9600 are about the same price. my friend
had a Ti4200 he just bought and then took it back for a 9600 . gotta love
the 9600. Its also more overclockable. and ohh yeah if u are thinking in
terms of CS then get the 9600 hands down . never seen better graphics than
for a similarly priced card. make sure u get the hercules version as it has
heatsinks so ur card will run cooler. also Ti4200 is only DirectX 8.1
compliant while the 9600 does the DirectX 9 like its made for it.

--
[D.A.]!@#Bourne

"To kill or not to kill ....... that is the question"

Old September 2nd 03, 03:33 AM
Biz

It all depends on the rest of your system, which that information seems to
be missing from your post.