Win XP BSOD and nVidia cards.

Old July 14th 03, 03:22 AM
~misfit~

Default Win XP BSOD and nVidia cards.

Hi Gang, I'm new here.

I have a machine running a GA-7DXE mobo and a AMD XP2200+ CPU running XP
Pro. Until recently I was running a GeForce 2 MX400/64 in it. Then it
started to give me errors on start-up, a blue screen saying: "A problem has
been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp."
And the error message went on to say it could be cause by faulty hardware or
a corrupt file and then gave a bunch of hexadecimal bull****. (Which I wrote
down).
Hitting the reset button would most times fix it so I un-installed the
drivers and re-installed them. Same problem, every second or third cold-boot
I got this message. I did the thourough checkdisk thing and the HDD is fine,
even ran a diagnostic on the drive. OK, so I tried different detonator
drivers, several in fact. Still the same intermittent error on boot-up.

Hardware getting flakey thinks I so I borrowed a friends credit card (I'm
poor) and went out and bought me a nice new Leadtek Winfast A280-LE-TDH
GeForce 4 ti4200/128Mb MyVIVO. I installed it and used the drivers on the
disk that came with it. Two days later...... Same problem!!! I went to
Leadtek's site and downloaded the latest drivers for my card and installed
those but the problem persists.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I've tried everything I can
think of to fix it but have got nowhere.

Any and all help appreciated.
--
~misfit~

---

Old July 14th 03, 07:04 AM
Kenneth E. Spress

To be quite honest. I think that I would need more information to make a
educated guess as to your problem. Please provide a more detail system specs
to be able to have us fix your problem

--
Thanks
Kenneth E. Spress

RUID # 0462790

Shop and save money with one click
http://www.acnmall.com/sirduron

Interested in a user friendly ISP that costs less Try ACN Internet
http://www.acninc.net/dialuplocations.asp?details=us
http://www.acninc.net/innerwindow.as...signupinfo.asp

Old July 15th 03, 01:14 AM
~misfit~

"Kenneth E. Spress" wrote in message
To be quite honest. I think that I would need more information to make a
educated guess as to your problem. Please provide a more detail system

specs
to be able to have us fix your problem

OK. As I've stated in another reply, my PSU is only 250W but is only running
the mobo. All drives and fans are run from an external PSU. Three fans...
See my reply to Ron as to temps and cooling.

Gigabyte GA-7DXE
Athlon XP1800+ T'bred B with the l3 and l5 bridges cut to set the multiplier
to 13.5 therefore running as an XP2200+
One stick 256Mb PC2100 RAM
Running 133FSB, 75AGP bus and 33PCI bus.
Win XP Pro, no service pack.

Drives: (Run from external PSU)
One 1.44Mb foppy
Two HDD, one Maxtor ATA133, 7,200rpm 20gig, one Seagate ATA66 5,400 16gig
AOpen 52x24x52 CD writer
Lite-On 52x CD reader

Internal cards:
One 3Com 10/100 ethernet card
Previously mentioned Leadtek GF 4 4200 (30513 driver, latest from Leadtek)

If you need to know anything else let me know.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Old July 15th 03, 01:19 AM
~misfit~

"Roger" wrote in message

"~misfit~" wrote in message
[...]

Looks like the dreaded infinite loop issue. It's going to cost you more
money to fix it, unfortunately.
It's probably either because you have an inadequate powersupply or you

need
a different motherboard that supplies a consistent voltage to the video
card. You could also try taking the card back and getting a Radeon of some
sort. Look up "infinite loop" issues through google and you should find

lots
of info on this problem.

MBM5 (the latest build) reports my voltages as:

+5v: 5.03v
+12v: 12.19
+3.3v: 3.33v

For other details see my other replies. (I should have put them all in one I
guess - Doh!)

I'm an nVidia fan, I don't really want a Radeon.

Thanks for the reply.
--
~misfit~

---

Old July 15th 03, 06:20 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
-
I had this problem with my system it is a hardware problem but it doesn`t
always mean your hardware is faulty - based on my expierience of the
infiinite loop problem which I have completed solved on my system my
recommendations are to go into BIOS load the fail safe defaults (sometimes
called load setup defaults).

If the problem persists after setting the BIOS settings to their safest

then
one of your memory sticks has gone bad.

In my case I had the problem with the bios fail safe settings then I

swapped
to another stick of ram and no longer had the problem. I tried the suspect
stick of ram in another system and it wouldn`t POST then I rma`ed it and

the
replacement works.

I also had the problem with the good sticks of ram when messing with the
BIOS settings setting them to fail safe rules out this as a possible

cause.

Good Luck.

One other important thing I forgot to mention is after load BIOS fail safe
settings make sure to set the memory clock to exactly the same fsb as your
CPU is running - usually BIOS fail safe will set the ram to SPD which is
automatic so if you had PC2700 in a system with a 133 CPU fsb the ram would
be running out of sync with CPU at 166 - this can cause the infinite loop
problem too.

So load BIOS fail safe settings - set CPU & Memory in sync then start
looking at new ram - I only had 1 ram stick but I suspect it could be more
tricky to isolate with 2 or 3 sticks.

Old July 18th 03, 11:52 AM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:01:19 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrotY:

[...]

Thanks for the reply Nick, I'll try it out.
--
~misfit~

I had this problem with my GVRXP and GF2-MX400. I finally solved it
by slightly boosting the memory voltage (+0.1 V) and the CPU voltage
(+5%). The CPU is a Duron 1 GHz overclocked to 1.2 GHz. My RAM and
FSB are asynchronous, BTW, - 166 MHz RAM, 133 MHz FSB.

If you still have problems after pulling down the RAM try tweaking up
the voltage a small amount. Worked great for me.

Regards,
Jerome 8)

Infinite loop with Nvidia card Patrick F. Abit Motherboards 0 September 28th 04 07:28 PM
Via drivers and ATAPI.SYS BSOD Edwin Davidson Asus Motherboards 0 January 8th 04 08:20 PM
BSOD MiniDisc_2k2 General 9 July 14th 03 11:54 AM
BSOD MiniDisc_2k2 Gigabyte Motherboards 9 July 14th 03 11:54 AM
BSOD MiniDisc_2k2 Nvidia Videocards 9 July 14th 03 11:54 AM