Happy Birthday America

Old July 4th 03, 11:34 PM
OldfartJC

I didn't realize you Canadians in Alberta hated us that much. My friends in
Edmonton always like to come to the U.S. to buy stuff at much cheaper prices
than they can in Canada. Must be all your liberal laws that causes
everything to be so expensive or maybe it's your great healthcare system
which probably taxes you to death, which means you wouldn't need healthcare
for very long.

"Dan" wrote in message
a...
Bingo it is assholes like you that cause all these other nations to hate
America.

"neopolaris" . wrote in message

There probably wouldn't even be an internet or computers if it weren't

for
the United States. There probably wouldn't be a helluva lotta things.

If you dislike 'US" tough. We are making the world a better place-one
sandbox and rice paddy at a time.

PS: Yo fatass KAI. I have a temper too. Goes well with my formal Army
training. In short, shut your piehole.

neopolaris
ex-grunt
E-3-1

Old July 5th 03, 12:12 AM
Thor

I'm not quite sure where you think I am from..

but..

I'll give you a hint.

I live in a country that doesn't start wars, altho the last war we fought
on our turf we won. and kicked the ass of the country we were fighting.. In
fact we burnt down their capitol city and government buildings.. I think it
was called the white house!

Old July 5th 03, 12:14 AM
Steve Trussing

x-no-archive: yes

TheSingingCat wrote:

"Wookie" wrote in message
And if not for the freedom and ingenuity of the Americans .. there
would be no precious internet or your frickin' NG's or probably the
computer you're sitting at.

As for the ingenuity and freedom of Americans, that was never in
dispute nor question so I'm uncertain why you even bring that up. As
for the computer I'm sitting at, it's a Toshiba made in Japan, I'm
sure they are quite ingenious and inventive as well.

There is a great difference between taking the ball and running with it,
and inventing the ball and the field you use it on in the first place.

I'd have great
difficulty in believing that without US contributions to the
computing world we would not have computers.

Don't kid yourself:

** World's first operational, general-purpose, electronic computer:
ENIAC (Electrical Numerical Integrator And Calculator, U.S. Patent
#3,120,606), University of Pennsylvania, USA, 1946

** First-ever high-level computer programming language: FORTRAN, USA,
1954 (released in 1957)

** Invention of the transistor, Bell Telephone Laboratories, USA, 1956

** Invention of Integrated Circuit (IC, U.S. Patents #3,138,743 and
#2,981,877), Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce, USA, 1958-59

** First-ever computer game: Spacewar, MIT, USA, 1962

** Invention of portable calculator, Jack Kilby, USA, 1967

** Foundation of the Internet: ARPAnet, UCLA and Stanford, USA, 1969

** First DRAM chip: Intel 1103, USA, 1970

** World's first single-chip microprocessor: Intel 4004 (U.S. Patent
#3,821,715), USA, 1971

** First "memory disk" (the floppy), IBM, USA, 1971
(Sony did later develop the 3 1/2" floppy. Woohoo! Thanks for
finally taking the ball and running with it!)

** Invention of Ethernet, Robert Metcalfe (Xerox), USA, 1973

** First-ever advertised personal computer (QST magazine): Scelbi
(SCientific, ELectronic and BIological), Milford, Connecticut, USA, 1974

** First-ever minicomputer kit (Popular Electronics magazine): Altair,
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, 1975

** The first IBM-based portable computer: IBM 5100, USA, 1975

** The first Apple: Apple I, USA, 1976

** First small-computer modem, Dennis Hayes, USA, 1977

** First IBM PC operating system, MS-DOS (adapted from QDOS), USA, 1981

** First-ever GUI environment for the PC: VisiOn, VisiCorp, USA, 1982

** The software that provided a platform to propel PCs into millions of
homes: Microsoft Windows, USA, 1985
(This is where Microsoft bashers pretend that the anti-competitive
business practices of Microsoft take away from their contributions to
the small computer platform.)

** Still the world's #1 desktop microprocessor maker: Intel, Santa
Clara, CA, USA

** Still the world's #2 desktop microprocessor maker: AMD, Sunnyvale,
CA, USA

And this is leaving out a HELL of a lot of stuff I just didn't feel like
putting down here.

sarcasm up the ass
Yeah, you're right; that's not significant. Take away the world's first
computer, first high-level programming language, the transistor, the IC,
DRAM, single-chip microprocessors, the calculator, computer games,
modems, Ethernet, personal computers, GUI operating systems, Intel, AMD,
and the Internet, and we'd still be where we are today. Oh sure. "More
crack here, please!"
/sarcasm up the ass

This isn't intended to decry contributions from other countries; it's
giving credit where it's due. Japanese computer firms made great
contributions later on, and the vacuum tube was developed in England.
Not to mention that none of the aforementioned technology occurred in a
vacuum (no pun intended).

Let's read that again, shall we? I said: This isn't saying "Other
countries did nothing", it's saying "The USA did A LOT".

--
Indeed I am.
Well, you're right about that.

Old July 5th 03, 12:17 AM
yugsdrawkcab

OldfartJC wrote:

I didn't realize you Canadians in Alberta hated us that much. My friends in
Edmonton always like to come to the U.S. to buy stuff at much cheaper prices
than they can in Canada. Must be all your liberal laws that causes
everything to be so expensive or maybe it's your great healthcare system
which probably taxes you to death, which means you wouldn't need healthcare
for very long.

I can't speak for all Canadians, but I can say that personally I don't
hate Americans.. I laugh at them. The education system is weak simply to
make the country a group of chest beating lemmings that feel they have
the right to dictate a way of life to anyone they please.

Old July 5th 03, 12:21 AM
Steve Trussing

x-no-archive: yes

Thor wrote:

Isn't it amazing how many people, from so many countries, hate
"America" and the "american way"

and no, don't try and turn it around claiming it is jealousy.
because it is NOT.

I wouldn't be caught living in a country without health care, that
forces its agenda on others, only looks out for its own interests
(screw what is right or wrong), has one of the lowest literacy rates
in the developed world, etc.

Granted there are some intelligent Americans, but most of them keep
quiet, because they are embarrassed about the way their country acts.

Unfortunately the majority are almost as intelligent and well rounded
as a Jerry Springer guest.

So, if you were born an American, you'd run off to some foreign land as
a child? Or you'd wait until you were older, and abandon your family,
and everything else you ever knew?

America doesn't have health care? Huh? I could have sworn I drove past
several hospitals the other day. And when my wife delivered my daughter
8 months ago, I could have sworn that was a doctor that delivered her.
Hmmm, funny. Oh--you mean we don't have SOCIALIZED health care! Oh,
right. And we all know how wonderful government-sponsered health care
is. Now, you tell me what country has the BEST health care technology
in the world. Take all the time you need.

To say that "the majority" of Americans are idiots is just plain stupid.
I think you'd have to be pretty irrational to make such a sweeping
statement about 150,000,000 people you haven't met (i.e. 50% of
Americans).

Old July 5th 03, 12:24 AM
Steve Trussing

x-no-archive: yes

So, where was the first computer and first personal computer invented,
and where did the Internet originate?

The United States of America.

Neither of those were invented by the USA. Though french fries were.

Old July 5th 03, 12:25 AM
Steve Trussing

x-no-archive: yes

Little ****ants don't start fights in the schoolyard, either.

Old July 5th 03, 12:30 AM
PRIVATE1964

If thats true then why are so many people trying to get into this country? This
country offers a lot more then most....first on the list would be freedom.

I am not here to defend the original post. I don't think this newsgroup was the
right place to post it, but I wouldn't attack it either even if it was related
to different country.

I have seen multiple posts from a lot of people and all I have to say is "What
a waste of time!" People fighting over such petty things when the time could be
put to some better use. Your all a bunch of morons fighting about such stupid
things. Happy Birthday US, Happy whatever to everyone else also out there in
other countries.

Old July 5th 03, 12:41 AM
Dave

"Frode" wrote in message

Dave wrote:
Haha - well thats america for you - plenty of dumbasses :P

Please keep the stereotyping to a minimum...that is unless you would

like
us Americans to typify France as a bunch of unwashed,

That's not typifying, it's a fact. France has the lowest consumption of
hygiene products in europe as well as the highest consumption of perfume.

Merde! Zat izz vhy zee Franch weemen zey smell so..uhh fonny down zere? Zat
iss vhy "zee eetch needs to be scratched" so often? I guess zis is vhy
France ees zee #1 exporter of zee fragrances d'amour? "Nos culottes salies
sont l'épitomé de l'haute couture!" aww, I can't be hittin' below the belt!
I apologize in advance for my crudity! Mon Dieu, quel cochon je suis! Pomme
de rue!

I keep flashing back to Mel Brooks "History Of The World Part 1": "You look
like zee ****-boy!..." or some MPTHG:

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sou...l.wav/myob.wav

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sou...ff/french.aiff

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sou...v/kniggits.wav ...

.... http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sou....wav/taunt.wav

Old July 5th 03, 01:07 AM
aj

Granted there are some intelligent Americans

Where ?????