Omega drivers for Nvidia are AXED!?!

Old June 26th 03, 06:18 PM
Pluvious

Default Omega drivers for Nvidia are AXED!?!

Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :

"Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
we really have no option."

Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
"optimizing"? Pathetic.

Pluvious

Old June 26th 03, 08:28 PM
Blaedmon

could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.

Old June 26th 03, 09:00 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Pluvious" wrote in message

Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :

"Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
we really have no option."

Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
"optimizing"? Pathetic.

Pluvious

Or they do not want their valuable IP rights diluted by allowing
unauthorized modifcations by what could be the appearance of
semi-sanctioning.

Old June 26th 03, 09:22 PM
Raptor

"Pluvious" wrote in message

Found this on 3drage which came from Driver Heaven :

"Alot has been going on behind the scenes recently guys with Nvidia
regarding Omegas drivers and it looks like Omega might be forced to
stop making them. This is due to Nvidia hard handed tactics and not
wanting anyone to alter or touch their driver code in any way. Omega
has even had to remove Nvidia logos from his site or legal action will
be taken. This could possibly if taken further close these sites, so
we really have no option."

Gee... I wonder why Nvidia doesnt want someone hacking around in the
driver sets?.. .. could it be that someone might find some
"optimizing"? Pathetic.

Pluvious

Sounds like Nvidia is getting a little edgy. Think this "3Dmark" driver
cough enhancing episode had anything to do with it? Ever since I went
over to the dark side last chip cycle (9700pro) I could care less *what*
Nvidia does really.

Old June 26th 03, 11:53 PM
who be dat?

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.

They can't do any worse than Nvidia has done...

Chris Smith

Old June 27th 03, 04:24 AM
NoRemorse

"Strontium" wrote in message
news
-
William stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

"Raptor" wrote in message
"Pluvious" wrote in message

[...]

Amen to switching over to ATI. I switched too, and have been very
pleased w/ my 9700 pro! In my opinion, I don't care about benchmarks.
I mean it's a good tool to some degree, but it all comes down to how
the card performs w/ the games.

I can't wait to get that card. Price is still a little to high, right

now,
for me. Buddy has the 9500 and, after running the GF4 Ti's for awhile,

he's
totally ditched nVidia. I'm not far behind that path. Of course, I'm

sure
that in another year or so nVidia will be top dog again...and the cycle

will
continue. What I'm reading/hearing about the FX line does not really
impress me, at all.

This reminds me of all the hype about Geforce FX before it was launched.
Like it was supposed to replace an entire ILM render farm. Riiiiiiiiight.

--
[This message has been transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.]

Old June 27th 03, 08:05 PM

"who be dat?" wrote in message

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
things in the drivers and giving them a bad name? could be.

They can't do any worse than Nvidia has done...

ATI have..

Old June 27th 03, 09:13 PM
Doug Hook

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers screwing up
things in the drivers and giving them a bad name?

This guy that makes the Omega drivers is definetly not a lamer. I have run
most of his driver sets for a while (nvidia and ATI both) with no problems
at all. Nvidia are just too uptight.

Old June 27th 03, 09:16 PM
Doug Hook

I can't wait to get that card. Price is still a little to high, right

now,
for me. Buddy has the 9500 and, after running the GF4 Ti's for awhile,

he's
totally ditched nVidia. I'm not far behind that path. Of course, I'm

sure
that in another year or so nVidia will be top dog again...and the cycle

will
continue. What I'm reading/hearing about the FX line does not really
impress me, at all.

My 9800pro 128 meg is the best piece of computer hardware I ever bought.

Old June 28th 03, 04:48 AM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:13:55 GMT
"Doug Hook" wrote:

"Blaedmon" wrote in message
could be, could be not. could be that Nvidia is sick of lamers
screwing up things in the drivers and giving them a bad name?

This guy that makes the Omega drivers is definetly not a lamer. I have
run most of his driver sets for a while (nvidia and ATI both) with no
problems at all. Nvidia are just too uptight.

You can tell that in their attitude toward Linux. They need to make up
their minds whether they are in the software or the hardware business.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Sapphire X800XT-PE: ATI drivers, or Omega? Evert Meulie Ati Videocards 2 November 23rd 04 10:57 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Omega drivers Steve Ati Videocards 4 April 11th 04 11:26 PM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 08:28 PM
Omega drivers Richard Rollins Ati Videocards 4 August 25th 03 01:23 AM