Fixed bug: new driver causes ati advanced display options to disappear

Old August 12th 04, 01:55 AM
Bad Form

Default Fixed bug: new driver causes ati advanced display options to disappear

Hi, I recently had a problem when I used Microsoft's Update thingy and
upgraded my ATI display driver. The problem was that the advanced ATI
options which are supposed to appear when you right click on the
background or go to control panel, then to display properties, then to
settings then to advanced. The extra features such as opengl,
direct3d, etc. were not there. Just the standard windows generic
tabs. This ****ed me off to no end because I wasn't able to select my
tv so that I could play a DVD on my machine and have it show up on the
television, because you can only do that with the 'advanced'
proprietary ATI feature set.

I tried to roll back the driver then realized it was the second time I
had updated the driver and the previous update was faulty too.

So what I did was (after trying about 1.5 zillion other things) I went
into the video card's driver area and completely UNINSTALLED the
driver, then rebooted. The machine came up with some lame ass vga
screen in XP and then said "RADION 320m found" or some such crap. So
I clicked on the little popup and proceeded to reinstall the ORIGINAL
driver by selecting the "install manually" option (not automatically
install), then "select from a list" (not select from any drives or
anything).. the ATI RADEON 320M popped up as the only option on the
list, I selected it, it evidently reinstalled the original driver that
came with XP SP1, I rebooted, and all the original options were back.

Just so's you know I have an HP Pavilion ze 4300 (ze4325) with the ATI
RADEON IGP 320M display. Hope this helps because I'm sure others have
this problem as well!

It really ****es me off!! Everybody always says "oh make sure you
have the latest drivers" well that's bull**** if the companies can't
even make the updates right. So if it ain't broke don't fix it, and
only update your drivers if you have a problem. Got it?

Old August 12th 04, 03:27 AM
JT

"Bad Form" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well the main lesson here probably is only use MS Update site to update MS
stuff. I've never had a problem updating ATI drivers that I've gotten from
ATI's site. I"m using the 4.8 and on Windows Update, it of course insists
that I should "update" to the other driver which is an older driver. MS
shouldn't even be offering those types of driver updates IMO. If they wanna
direct you to where you could get an update that would be different.