Mysterious memory problem solves itself.

Old April 14th 04, 01:28 AM
half_pint

Default Mysterious memory problem solves itself.

I posted here about mysterious freezes and reboots I was getting,
as ram was suspected I put back my old ram which cured the problem.

However I was rather surprised that when I put the supposed 'faulty'
ram back in my machine the 'fault' on that ram was no longer
present, no freezes or reboots whatsoever for two days running.

Any comments?

I suppose it is possible that the 'faulty' ram was not was not correctly
inserted in the first place, but it does seem unlikely that a very
infrequent
intermittant problem could be caused my that.

I had not changed any software during that period either.

I suppose the moral of the story is to give faulty products a second
or third chance before throwing them in the bin.

I had 4 edo sticks and I doubt I put them back in the same slots,
I just assumed they all matched each other and the position
would make no difference.

half_pint.

Old April 14th 04, 05:35 AM
kony

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:28:38 +0100, "half_pint"
wrote:

[...]

Time, thermal cycles, dirt and corrosion, and even dissimilar metals can
cause problems... when there's a problem with something as old as a SIMM
slot a cleaning of the contacts and reinsertion is usually a good 1st
attempt at resolution.

Old April 14th 04, 08:00 AM
ElJerid

wrote:

[...]

Fully agree. I had this problem some months ago (with a new mobo and new ram
modules). I used a contact cleaner for both the contacts of the modules and
the motherboard connector. This solved completely the problem.

Old April 14th 04, 08:40 AM
beav AT wn DoT com DoT au

kony wrote:

cause problems... when there's a problem with something as old as a SIMM

Wow - you are showing your age
Remember what a SIPP is?

--
-Luke-
If cars had advanced at the same rate as Micr0$oft technology, they'd be
Old April 14th 04, 11:28 AM
philo

"half_pint" wrote in message

I posted here about mysterious freezes and reboots I was getting,
as ram was suspected I put back my old ram which cured the problem.

However I was rather surprised that when I put the supposed 'faulty'
ram back in my machine the 'fault' on that ram was no longer
present, no freezes or reboots whatsoever for two days running.

Any comments?

sounds like the contacts on the mobo may have been slightly tarnished
and merely inserting and uninserting the RAM a few times cleaned it up

Old April 14th 04, 06:00 PM
half_pint

"half_pint" wrote in message

[...]

Hi, just an update.

As I was boooting up this morning I thought my PC sounded noisy
so I looked (moved) to see if any cables were impeding the fan (I have been
poking around the cables the night before) anyway, the PC rebooted
it self, made some beebs (unsure how many) and eventually shutdown
completely.
I checked all the cables appeared OK and then hit the power button
and it booted up OK and has been fine since.
So I am a little unsure about things now as everytime I make any change
to memory etc I will move cables etc.
Anyway it works OK now and seems stable but I had best leave well
alone, maybe my probs were due to cables all along who knows? I don't
want to break my PC finding out though. I suppose cables are things which
have to put up with a lot of wear tear and stress though so it would not
surprise
me if there are problem with them.

half_pint.

Old April 15th 04, 05:54 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

[...]

Did you put the modules back in the same order? See, look here, if you've got like 2, only ONE
might be damaged, OR, one might be REALLY damaged and the other only partially.

So if you put the REALLY damaged one in first, and the partially damaged or good one in second, it's
gonna have a lot of problems. BUT, if you reverse the order, you'll have less problem because it's
not accessing the other chip as much (unless you're running a bunch of proggies, games, etc).

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹