NV Firewall and Norton Internet Security?

Old January 17th 05, 01:27 AM
fsda

"Steve" wrote in news:qUdGd.31154$Wo.9359@lakeread08:

"Steve" wrote in message
news:rLdGd.31153$Wo.16325@lakeread08...

"fsda" wrote in message
Larry Gagnon wrote in
news
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:10:49 +0000, fsda wrote:

I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU
utilization of the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia
Firewall (ActiveArmor). This motherboard came bundled with a copy
of Norton Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of
Norton Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton
LiveUpdate feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way
to give it permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall
setings allowing the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the
trick. And, the Nvidia Firewall never pops up to tell me anything
is wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?

IMHO I would uninstall Norton stuff. That is one of the most
invasive, power hungry pieces of software ever written. Its many
features require that large parts of it be constantly loaded,
taking up resources, and the default update settings are way to
frequent. On anything but a new powerful computer Norton System
Works and their other products can significantly slow down your
machine.

If I were you I would use AVG for Anti-Virus and AdAware for
spyware and chuck Norton. The former two are much less invasive and
yet, as powerful.

On the other hand if you want a machine that is secure without
having to ad all that extra software crap you should switch to
Linux - at which point you would be very unlucky to ever get
another virus or piece of spyware on your computer.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

OK, I'm not that desparate - i.e. going to Linux. But I'm open to
considering something other than Norton, given how flaky it is on my
system.

What about Anti-Spam for email?

Basically I want Anti-virus, anti-spyware (although I don't
understand how this is different than a firewall), and
anti-email-spam software.

re-post cleaned up formatting....

For anti-spyware try spybot 1.3 (it's free software)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...y/3000-8022_4-

10289035.html
?tag=lst-0-2 or http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Microsoft has released a free anti-spyware (it's a beta software, and
also free)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
I have used this beta software on many computers no problems.
The core of this program is by Giant Anti-Spyware, Microsoft recently
bought our Giant Anti-Spyware.

Linux Operating Systems have Security problems to
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsBy...bulletins.html
Linux just has less Security Holes than most Microsoft Operating
Systems.

For anti-virus

http://www.kaspersky.com/ or http://www.f-prot.com/

For Anti-spam try
http://www.f-prot.com/

Steve

f-prot seems interesting, but it doesn't support email antivirus
protection. Also, couldn't find any anti-spam features there,
either...
Old January 17th 05, 07:26 AM
fsda

RJT wrote in :

fsda wrote:
I have an Asus A8N-SLI. Looking forward to the lower CPU utilization
of the Nvidia4 chipset, I installed the Nvidia Firewall
(ActiveArmor). This motherboard came bundled with a copy of Norton
Internet Security 2004.

I want to use the Nvidia Firewall, but use the other features of
Norton Internet Security 2004, like antivirus, antispam, etc.

My problem is, When the Nvidia Firewall is activated, the Norton
LiveUpdate feature cannot connect, and I cannot figure out a way to
give it permission. I even added a rule to the Nvidia Firewall
setings allowing the LiveUpdate app, but it still didn't do the
trick. And, the Nvidia Firewall never pops up to tell me anything is
wrong..

Anyone else have this problem?

I had the exact same problem. For some reason the nVidia firewall
doesnt work very well, it blocks certain programms even though you add
them to the allow-list, and blocks traffic to certain sites for the
same unexplained reason. I've asked ASUS to look in on this, as nVidia
seems not to give customer support on this.

I've found a sollution to get Norton Internet Security to work with
the nVidia firewall though. I reset the firewall to factory default,
rebooted, created a new CUSTOM profile based on whichever setting I
liked best - and made sure the Intelligent Application Manager (IAM)
was turned on - I think it was HIGH. Then I reinstalled NIS.

I haven't yet figured out why the firewall blocks traffic to certain
sites, like www.postbank.nl. Using the nVidia firewall, it blocks
outgoing packets to this site, even though I've added it to the
allow-list, even when I use the OFF profile. Odd eh. I've switched to
using the Marvel LAN and the NIS firewall, although this gives a
higher CPU load. I'm very pleased with the NIS antivirus prog, it has
done good work for me for years now.

I tried your suggestion - I created a custom profile, removed Norton
Internet Security 2005, then reinstalled. LiveUpdate still will not
work. It WILL connect if I actually turn the whole Nvidia Firewall to
Off. But that defeats the purpose. I added every LiveUpdate component
I could find to the Nvidia firewall allow settings, but nothing worked.

Therefore, I can't use the Nvidia firewall, and have to use NIS instead.

(FYI, I tried F-prot Anti-Virus with the Nvidia Firewall, and it worked
fine, but as F-prot doesn't have email scanning and really not a very
nice interface, I didn't feel as secure, and so I went back to NIS...)