BIOS flash for A7A266 not working

Old May 12th 04, 07:40 AM
Die Spammer !!!

Default BIOS flash for A7A266 not working

anyone have any luck flashing the BIOS to the latest on an A7A266
motherboard? I just flashed the BIOS to the latest firmwere and while in
my BIOS setup, I can select 133/33 as before the flash for my 1.3GHZ
CPU. With the Athlon 2600+ CPU installed, I can only get "manual" and I
am unable to get the system to boot past the BIOS setup...

Old May 12th 04, 09:59 AM
tuaregh

the latest, 1013.001 ?

check your PCB revision (PrintedCircuitBoard), older than rev. 1.10 have
a CPU limit - max Athlon 1400 (266 MHz FSB).
You can find your PCB rev printed on the mb.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

Old May 13th 04, 01:44 AM
Die Spammer !!!

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx does not ask for a
revision....
It only asks me for my socket type and model... so I put in SocketA/462 and
A7A266 and then it gives me a list of CPU's I can use. So I bought the
2600....

My revision is 1.03

Old May 18th 04, 09:47 PM
Jon

If it's 1.03, you can't use that processor. I'm in the same boat; the highest processor the 1.03 revision will accept is an Athlon XP2100.
Sorry to have to tell you that. BTW, if you read that page again carefully, you'll find where it mentions the revision requirement.

Old May 21st 04, 06:31 PM
Frank Pyatt

My A7A266 has a PCB of 1.04 and the latest beta bios of 1013. I am
comfortably running an Athlon XP 2200+ and the bios has always reported it
as Manual and recognized it as an Athlon XP 2000+. I found that you can do
one of three things: first, run it at the default 100FSB, secondly, try to
up your Vcore and FSB to a stable level if you want to O/C, or third, what I
ended up doing, set the DIP switches on the mobo (if you have 10 not 4) so
that the board runs at an FSB of 133 at the highest multiplier that you
manually set. My bios now recognizes the chip as an Athlon XP 2400+ (not
quite right) and it is running at an even 2000mhz.

I imagine that you may be able to get other options as well from this NG.

Anyhow, the above worked alright for me....good luck.

FRP