SCSI + Win98 ?

Old September 2nd 03, 01:32 PM
Darryl

Default SCSI + Win98 ?

Greetings,
I have an Abit BX133 with PIII 1Ghz. I have a Adaptec SCSI 29160
controller in this machine. I have 2 Seagate 18 GB drives attached.
There are NO ide hard drives attached to this system.

How do I install Win98SE on this machine, if it only has 2 SCSI drives ?
(CDROM is IDE attached to primary IDE port).

I have tried to install it, but Win98SE can't access the drives.

thanks,
Darryl

Old September 2nd 03, 02:32 PM
Jim Stevenson

In article , darryl@osborne-
ind.com says...
Greetings,
I have an Abit BX133 with PIII 1Ghz. I have a Adaptec SCSI 29160
controller in this machine. I have 2 Seagate 18 GB drives attached.
There are NO ide hard drives attached to this system.

How do I install Win98SE on this machine, if it only has 2 SCSI drives ?
(CDROM is IDE attached to primary IDE port).

I have tried to install it, but Win98SE can't access the drives.

thanks,
Darryl

I have a similar setup I.e. 2 SCSI hard drives and IDE CD/CD-RW. The
only thing I can think of is the WIN98 installation probably hasn't got
the drivers for the 29160 card. I am running XP so I'm not sure if the
installation is quite the same, but in XP at least, during the initial
sequence Windows asks if you are installing any third party controllers.
Are you getting the Adaptec start up during the POST sequence?
Another thing I have found in the past is to ensure all the SCSI are
securely and firmly in place.

Jim
--
------------------------
Seti@home team - SetiUK
Old September 2nd 03, 03:26 PM
Darryl

Yep. Adaptec BIOS installs and recognizes the drives just fine.
Win98 is different than XP (or 2000 for that matter), in that it doesn't
ask for third party drivers when installing. The only thing I can think of
is to make a new Win98SE install disk with the appropriate Adaptec
scsi driver and autoexec.bat file. I have installed XP on this config and
it works fine, but have reasons to want Win98.

thanks,
Darryl

Old September 2nd 03, 04:12 PM
Jim Turner

How large are the drives? if they are larger than 64GB, you will have to
partition with a new version of fdisk from Microsoft first, as the old
one can't handle drives that large. Did you try to partion the drive
first, then format it, then install 98?

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:26:13 -0500, "Darryl"
wrote:

Yep. Adaptec BIOS installs and recognizes the drives just fine.
Win98 is different than XP (or 2000 for that matter), in that it doesn't
ask for third party drivers when installing. The only thing I can think of
is to make a new Win98SE install disk with the appropriate Adaptec
scsi driver and autoexec.bat file. I have installed XP on this config and
it works fine, but have reasons to want Win98.

thanks,
Darryl

k...

Old September 2nd 03, 05:07 PM
Darryl

"
How large are the drives? if they are larger than 64GB, you will have to
partition with a new version of fdisk from Microsoft first, as the old
one can't handle drives that large. Did you try to partion the drive
first, then format it, then install 98?

The Drives are 18GB a piece. Currently they have partitions on them.
When I boot off the Win98SE cd, then choose command prompt with
CDROM support. Then launch fdisk

Large disk support [Y] Y

Then it gives a disk error. (I'm at work and don't have the exact error).
These disks are fine because I have installed XP on them and was using
it prior to this rip down.

Old September 2nd 03, 05:16 PM
Jim Stevenson

In article , darryl@osborne-
ind.com says...
[...]

Found this on the Adaptec Website which may help:

http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-
bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=-
eNl2kSg&p_lva=&p_faqid=1888&p_created=968959055
&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTIm cF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1XaW
45OCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTMmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NjYmcF9w cm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF
9jYXRfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Jim
--
------------------------
Seti@home team - SetiUK
Old September 2nd 03, 05:57 PM
Jim Stevenson

In article , jim@abacad-
design.com says...
In article , darryl@osborne-
ind.com says...
[...]

That link hasn't come out right by the looks of it so here's what it
says:

Question
I have a U160 boards and when I try to boot from the Windows 98
Startup disk, it hangs on the ASPI8U2.SYS driver.

This information applies to the following product(s).

Adaptec SCSI Card 19160, 29160N, 29160, 39160

This information applies to the following Operating System(s).

Windows 98 (Win 98)

Answer
The default driver that comes with Windows 98 needs to be updated for
support of the U160 products.

This can be done using the driver installation floppy that came with
your Ultra 160 product.

If you have lost your Ultra 160 driver diskette, then it can be download
from the Adaptec web site.

The latest Ultra 160 FMS (Family Manager Set) from the Adaptec Support
web page at:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...portindex.html

and selecting the specific Adaptec product you have.

Jim
--
------------------------
Seti@home team - SetiUK
Old September 3rd 03, 02:07 PM
Darryl

Solution:
Downloaded the U160 drivers (for 29160) from the Adaptec site (for Win98).
This
download included the DOS drivers for the U160 family.

Took the Win98SE boot/install floppy and copied the new downloaded DOS
drivers
onto the Win98SE boot/install floppy (they replace the same named files on
the floppy).

Booted the system with the Win98SE boot/install floppy. Chose start
computer with
CDROM support.

Fdisk now works. I went in and deleted partitions and create the partition
layout I wanted.

Formatted the new parititions. Once complete, started setup from Win98SE
cdrom. All
worked wonderfully.

thanks for all the help.