where do you find the version of a network card?

Old December 26th 06, 03:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
richard

Default where do you find the version of a network card?

I just got a Dell 6400 and want to check the version number of the Intel
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection card.

The Dell website has version 10.5.1.72 as the newest.

I found my Pro Wireless driver via My Computer but do not see the
version number there.

Thanks for a pointer.

ps--if I discover I have an older version, can I simply install the new
one over it??
Old December 26th 06, 03:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
richard

richard wrote:
I just got a Dell 6400 and want to check the version number of the Intel
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection card.

The Dell website has version 10.5.1.72 as the newest.

I found my Pro Wireless driver via My Computer but do not see the
version number there.

Thanks for a pointer.

ps--if I discover I have an older version, can I simply install the new
one over it??

Ok, I found it: it's v. 10.1.1.7. But now the Dell download site
confuses me. It offers several downloads and I am not sure which one is
appropriate for my 6400. One appears to say v. 10.1.1.4 is for 10.1.1.7,
but that doesn't seem to make sense, since it sounds like an earlier
version. Yikes. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.
Old December 26th 06, 04:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"richard" wrote in message
. ..
richard wrote:
I just got a Dell 6400 and want to check the version number of the Intel
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection card.

The Dell website has version 10.5.1.72 as the newest.

I found my Pro Wireless driver via My Computer but do not see the version
number there.

Thanks for a pointer.

ps--if I discover I have an older version, can I simply install the new
one over it??

Ok, I found it: it's v. 10.1.1.7. But now the Dell download site confuses
me. It offers several downloads and I am not sure which one is appropriate
for my 6400. One appears to say v. 10.1.1.4 is for 10.1.1.7, but that
doesn't seem to make sense, since it sounds like an earlier version.
Yikes. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.

If it ain't broke....

Old December 26th 06, 05:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:55:35 -0500, richard
wrote:

richard wrote:
I just got a Dell 6400 and want to check the version number of the Intel
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection card.

The Dell website has version 10.5.1.72 as the newest.

I found my Pro Wireless driver via My Computer but do not see the
version number there.

Thanks for a pointer.

ps--if I discover I have an older version, can I simply install the new
one over it??

Ok, I found it: it's v. 10.1.1.7. But now the Dell download site
confuses me. It offers several downloads and I am not sure which one is
appropriate for my 6400. One appears to say v. 10.1.1.4 is for 10.1.1.7,
but that doesn't seem to make sense, since it sounds like an earlier
version. Yikes. Maybe I should leave well enough alone.

I have to agree with Tom. Trust me, you don't want to get into
network problems ... speaking from experience.