CD burning software recommendations?

Old December 23rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Pownall

Default CD burning software recommendations?

(My apologies if this shows up twice, but right now, there's no sign
that it left my system.)

I've become fed up with the Roxio CD burning software that came with my
Dell Inspiron.

Any recommendations for something better?

Free/open-source would be nice, but is the best solution just to upgrade
to the pay/regular version of Roxio?

FWIW, mostly I burn data CDs for archive purposes. Very few music CDs.

Bob Pownall

Old December 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BigJim

I know you want free software but I use Nero you can get it oem for less
that 20 dollars.
Like check ebay

Old December 24th 06, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I use Roxio and it works fine for me.

However, I don't ever install the "packet writing" components of any of
the packages (Roxio, Nero or Sonic (which now owns Roxio)). I find that
packet writing causes nothing but trouble.

Old December 24th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:47:16 -0700, Bob Pownall

Free/open-source would be nice, but is the best solution just to upgrade
to the pay/regular version of Roxio?

As someone else said, Nero is a relatively inexpensive option. I use
that and Roxio Easy Media Creator 9.

I also use DVD Xcopy Platinum which enables someone to make "backups"
of their DVD's. I am not sure if it is still offered because there
were some legal issues associated with that program.
Old December 24th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

While both Roxio and Nero list for $100, it's possible to get the latest
versions of both of them for $10 to $30 if you have a previous copy (of
either, generally) and if you take advantage of sales and various
special offers (including the "Google Checkout" rebates that Buy.com has
been offering).

Old December 24th 06, 03:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mike S.

In article ,
Bob Pownall wrote:
(My apologies if this shows up twice, but right now, there's no sign
that it left my system.)

I've become fed up with the Roxio CD burning software that came with my
Dell Inspiron.

Any recommendations for something better?

Free/open-source would be nice, but is the best solution just to upgrade
to the pay/regular version of Roxio?

FWIW, mostly I burn data CDs for archive purposes. Very few music CDs.

Deepburner is simple and pretty mature by now; the free version would work
just fine for you. There even is a portable version that works from a USB
flash drive.

Old December 24th 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Josh

I'll have to look for CDburnerXPPro, thats one I hadn't heard of.

I use Nero6, love it. I thought the Roxio 5 (or whichever one it was
after the EZCD Creator change-over) wasn't bad, but once I swtiched to
Nero, I never looked back at Roxio. Hate Sonic (which as someone else
said, Roxio now owns).

For basic needs, though, it mostly depends on what software you
started out with and got used to, as to whether you'll like other
flavors.

I downloaded Nero7 Trial when it first came out, and had problems with
it, but some have reported that it is mature now, and kinks worked
out. You might try the trial to see for yourself.

Old December 24th 06, 11:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I also use DVD Xcopy Platinum which enables someone to make "backups"
of their DVD's. I am not sure if it is still offered because there
were some legal issues associated with that program.

A quick google for DVDShrink, DVDdecrypter, RipIt4me and FixVTS will
sort out all your current copying issues.
Old December 24th 06, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kenneth J. Harris

Not being happy with the limited versions of Roxio that Dell provides is
a complaint of many. I would uninstall all of it and put on the current
full version---Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I've been quite satisfied
with it.

Ken