Question for anyone running an Athlon XP on a KT-133a M/B ???

Old September 29th 03, 07:10 PM
Simon Bussey

Default Question for anyone running an Athlon XP on a KT-133a M/B ???

Hi,

I'm wanting to do a nice cheap upgrade for my computer, namely upgrade the
CPU.. I currently have an Abit KT7A V1.0(but what's important is the 133A
Via chipset..) with a Thunderbird 800 (o/c 1Gig) and would like to replace
the cpu for an Athlon XP.. but I have a few questions I would like some help
with before I go out and spend my hard earned cash! :-)

1) I know the Athlon XP is not officially supported on the M/B but I also
know the XP processor will work unofficailly.. originally I was going to buy
the XP 2400 as this is the fastest 266MHz bus version made.. and the M/B
will only run upto 266MHz bus.. however i've heard that the new Barton CPU's
also run fine on the m/b though of course at the 266MHz speed... Do these
run ok at 266MHz? will the board automatically run it at 266MHz? and will
the extra cache available on the cpu work ok?

2) I understand all the Athlon cpus in the range come 'unlocked' as
standard... so will I be able to set it for the right speed by just setting
the speed in the bios? I'm also aware that the nre cpus use a 5-bit number
for setting the speed of the cpu and my board can only set it as a 4-bit
number?!? What will this mean exactly? Will I have to set the cpu speed to
something different in the bios that what i acturally want it to be? also
will I need to modify the cpu somehow to set the speed correctly?

3) What is the fastest cpu I can put in the KT7A?? Would I be better running
a Barton underclocked to this max speed or one of the older XP's
overclocked?

Sorry for so many questions.. I've searched for soem webpages on the subject
but they don't clarify what i'm after very well.. I'm sure some of you peeps
have been through all this before and will be able to give me the answers
:-) :-)

THANKS!!!!!!!

Simon

Old September 29th 03, 10:40 PM
Ben Pope

Simon Bussey wrote:
Hi,

I'm wanting to do a nice cheap upgrade for my computer, namely upgrade the
CPU.. I currently have an Abit KT7A V1.0(but what's important is the 133A
Via chipset..) with a Thunderbird 800 (o/c 1Gig) and would like to replace
the cpu for an Athlon XP.. but I have a few questions I would like some
help with before I go out and spend my hard earned cash! :-)

No problem.

1) I know the Athlon XP is not officially supported on the M/B but I also
know the XP processor will work unofficailly.. originally I was going to
buy the XP 2400 as this is the fastest 266MHz bus version made.. and the
M/B will only run upto 266MHz bus.. however i've heard that the new
Barton CPU's also run fine on the m/b though of course at the 266MHz
speed... Do these run ok at 266MHz? will the board automatically run it
at 266MHz? and will the extra cache available on the cpu work ok?

As long as you can set the FSB in the bios, it should be ok. The cache will
work.

2) I understand all the Athlon cpus in the range come 'unlocked' as
standard... so will I be able to set it for the right speed by just
setting the speed in the bios? I'm also aware that the nre cpus use a
5-bit number for setting the speed of the cpu and my board can only set
it as a 4-bit number?!? What will this mean exactly? Will I have to set
the cpu speed to something different in the bios that what i acturally
want it to be? also will I need to modify the cpu somehow to set the
speed correctly?

Right, if your board can only change the lower 4 bits, what that means is
that if you get a Barton 2500+, with a default multiplier of 11, you cannot
get the BIOS to change it above 12.5. If you lower the FSB, this is exactly
what you will want to do. If you think you will be comfortable/happy about
doing a wire-in-the-socket mod... don't worry. If you don't wish to do
that, get a CPU with a multiplier 13 or above.

3) What is the fastest cpu I can put in the KT7A?? Would I be better
running a Barton underclocked to this max speed or one of the older XP's
overclocked?

The fastest official CPU would be the Barton 3200+. But you'd have to lower
the FSB and increase the multiplier. You may as well get either a Barton
2500+ if you're willing to wire-in-the-socket or a T'bred B with a 13 or
above multiplier.

Sorry for so many questions.. I've searched for soem webpages on the
subject but they don't clarify what i'm after very well.. I'm sure some
of you peeps have been through all this before and will be able to give
me the answers :-) :-)

Thanks for trying...

Ben

Old September 29th 03, 10:56 PM
rstlne

What you gonna do with ur athlon

Old September 30th 03, 08:15 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:10:47 +0000, Simon Bussey wrote:

1) I know the Athlon XP is not officially supported on the M/B but I
also know the XP processor will work unofficailly.. originally I was
going to buy the XP 2400 as this is the fastest 266MHz bus version
made.. and the M/B will only run upto 266MHz bus.. however i've heard
that the new Barton CPU's also run fine on the m/b though of course at
the 266MHz speed... Do these run ok at 266MHz? will the board
automatically run it at 266MHz? and will the extra cache available on
the cpu work ok?

What it will default to depends on which cpu you put in it.

2) I understand all the Athlon cpus in the range come 'unlocked' as
standard... so will I be able to set it for the right speed by just
setting the speed in the bios? I'm also aware that the nre cpus use a
5-bit number for setting the speed of the cpu and my board can only set
it as a 4-bit number?!? What will this mean exactly? Will I have to set
the cpu speed to something different in the bios that what i acturally
want it to be? also will I need to modify the cpu somehow to set the
speed correctly?

You need to have a default multiplier of 13 or higher to gain access to
the higher multipliers (up to 24x).

3) What is the fastest cpu I can put in the KT7A??

Approx. 3200MHz. About a 5000+ if they made one.

Would I be better running a Barton underclocked to this max speed or one
of the older XP's overclocked?

Why would you want to underclock it? Just mod the multiplier to 13 to gain
access to the upper multipliers.

Sorry for so many questions.. I've searched for soem webpages on the
subject but they don't clarify what i'm after very well.. I'm sure some
of you peeps have been through all this before and will be able to give
me the answers
:-) :-)

Try a google groups search for 'kt7a fastest'. You'll get tons of hits.
You might want to check out the site below too.