Thoughts on NForce2 versus VIA KT400 chipsets

Old September 29th 03, 06:27 PM
Jethro[AGHL]

Default Thoughts on NForce2 versus VIA KT400 chipsets

Is there really a big difference?
I was looking at an MSI KT4VL or an MSI K7N2 Delta-L and was wondering
if it really makes that big of difference between each board with a
different chipset.
I'm running WinXP, AMD 2400+, 512Mb DDR in an ASUS A7V266E mob and
looking to upgrade or side-grade so I have a spare mobo to build my
son's PC with my spare AMD1700+.
Currently have a GF3 Ti-200 but may move to a ATI 9600Pro is dollars
permit.

I do a bit of overclocking but nothing hardcore.

Thanks,
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Phat Clan: http://phats.clanpages.com

Old September 29th 03, 09:46 PM
Hippy Paul

I have a KT333 board - if/when I get another it will be an nforce board
(unless there is something better)

Main thing with KT400/333 boards I have seen is limited fsb (circa 180MHz)
unless there is a divider at the 199MHz mark to get the PCI back in line
- can't just turn your Barton 2500 into a 3200+ at the flick of a bios
setting, It requires some skill and hard work to ramp the KT chipsets
If the KT400 board has the fifth(?) divider may be a different story.

Old September 29th 03, 10:43 PM
Ben Pope

Jethro[AGHL] wrote:
Is there really a big difference?
I was looking at an MSI KT4VL or an MSI K7N2 Delta-L and was wondering
if it really makes that big of difference between each board with a
different chipset.
I'm running WinXP, AMD 2400+, 512Mb DDR in an ASUS A7V266E mob and
looking to upgrade or side-grade so I have a spare mobo to build my
son's PC with my spare AMD1700+.
Currently have a GF3 Ti-200 but may move to a ATI 9600Pro is dollars
permit.

I do a bit of overclocking but nothing hardcore.

nForce2.

You can lock the PCI and AGP speeds. They're good for 200MHz FSB.

VIA can't do any of those.

They peform well. They're a nice architecture. Drivers are ok.

Ben

Old September 30th 03, 03:24 AM
Frank Hagan

"Jethro[AGHL]" wrote in message
Is there really a big difference?
I was looking at an MSI KT4VL or an MSI K7N2 Delta-L and was wondering
if it really makes that big of difference between each board with a
different chipset.
I'm running WinXP, AMD 2400+, 512Mb DDR in an ASUS A7V266E mob and
looking to upgrade or side-grade so I have a spare mobo to build my
son's PC with my spare AMD1700+.
Currently have a GF3 Ti-200 but may move to a ATI 9600Pro is dollars
permit.

I do a bit of overclocking but nothing hardcore.

Thanks,
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Phat Clan: http://phats.clanpages.com
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

NForce2 Ultra!!! Sold my KT400. It was OK, but it was time to move on ;-)

FRH

Old September 30th 03, 03:04 PM
Jethro[AGHL]

"Jethro[AGHL]" wrote:

Is there really a big difference?
I was looking at an MSI KT4VL or an MSI K7N2 Delta-L and was wondering
if it really makes that big of difference between each board with a
different chipset.
I'm running WinXP, AMD 2400+, 512Mb DDR in an ASUS A7V266E mob and
looking to upgrade or side-grade so I have a spare mobo to build my
son's PC with my spare AMD1700+.
Currently have a GF3 Ti-200 but may move to a ATI 9600Pro is dollars
permit.

I do a bit of overclocking but nothing hardcore.

Thanks,
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Phat Clan: http://phats.clanpages.com
Reply Email: jeff (at) tibben (dot) ca

Thanks for all your replies.
Looks like nforce2 got several emphatic nods so that's the way I'll go.