Memtest86 on Laptop Question (OT)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 29th 04, 03:04 PM
Ken Fox

Default Memtest86 on Laptop Question (OT)

Hi,

I've got a Dell C400 laptop with 768MB of RAM, that obviously I can't
overclock. The reason I'm posting this question here is that I think this
ng is about as knowledgeable about Memtest86 as any other ng.

I've had some blue screen of death (BSOD) problems with the notebook when
trying to use wireless networking cards in the PC card slot; this is a not
uncommon problem from what I can tell, reading various Dell forums and other
ng postings. I believe it is software related.

Anyway, I spent yet another 45 mins on the phone with Dell laptop tech
support yesterday, speaking to a fellow who was obviously pretty
knowledgeable about computers (much moreso than your usual telephone support
person; he sounded like a computer nerd). Anyway, he told me that the only
other thing he could think of to do that I hadn't done was to remove the one
removeable Sodimm from the notebook and see if the problems are eliminated.

That makes sense, however I've run 3 or 4 passes of Memtest86 on the laptop
and not had any errors; my sense is that (1) it is very unlikely that
Memtest86 would miss a memory error; (2) if there are memory errors, there
are 3 possible sources, e.g. 2 sticks of ram only one of which is user
removable plus the cpu which is also not user accessible, and (3) given #1
and #2, we are talking about such a very small possible yield that it isn't
worth doing, e.g. removing the memory module as a test procedure.
Alternatively, I guess I could run another memory testing utility but I
question if there is one out there that is any better than Memtest86.

If anyone has a reaction or suggestion, please let me have it!

Best,

ken