Performance question Win98se vs win2000 vs XP pro

Old September 4th 03, 03:29 AM

Default Performance question Win98se vs win2000 vs XP pro

We are upgrading the workstation that acts as a server to 3.0 GHz processor
and have the option to run win2000 or XP. Thoughts either way?

Also, we have 3 machines that are 650mz - but run win98se and crash
regularly. Would WIN2000 or XP load and run on those machines slower than
win98? (they all have 256mg ram) Stability would be nice.

Gemstone Talent
www.GemTal.com
Old September 4th 03, 04:15 AM
Duddley DooRight

I think they may run a bit slow with XP. Win2K might be OK. XP is a real
memory HOG. I would want at least a 1 Ghz Processor for WinXP.

Before you use WinXP OR W2K make sure all your hardware is on the Microsoft
Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Old September 4th 03, 09:05 AM
Alien Zord

wrote in message
We are upgrading the workstation that acts as a server to 3.0 GHz

processor
and have the option to run win2000 or XP. Thoughts either way?

Also, we have 3 machines that are 650mz - but run win98se and crash
regularly. Would WIN2000 or XP load and run on those machines slower

than
win98? (they all have 256mg ram) Stability would be nice.

I find Win2k more stable and much more suited to office environment than
WinXP. Bear in mind that Win2k Pro when acting as a server is limited to
10 simultaneous connections, i.e. clients. Win9X has no such limitation.

I have a client where all workstations are 550MHz K6/2 machines with
128MB RAM running Win2k Pro and while they take a bit longer to boot up
they are completely stable and perfectly adequate for word processing,
email and accounting duties. Some even run CorelDraw used to design
stamps.

Old September 4th 03, 03:08 PM
Mike Mastro

I've got XP running on a bunch of 400Mhz and 450Mhz Dell machines. I
make sure that they all have at least 256MB of RAM. They aren't the
speediest machines ever, but they do the job just fine.

Old September 7th 03, 04:30 AM
William

I noticed a few hear running 256 megs of ram with their systems. I would
suggest if you are using 2k or XP to use at least 512MB ram. I think with
my win2k machine I got most services I needed enabled and the rest
disabled and I ended up with about 70 megs of memory usage. I have used
WinXP for about 1 month now on my new p4 machine and am pleased with it on
1GB ram and a p4 2.6GHz at 800MHz FSB. However, I believe the win2k OS
is way more excellent than XP. I have used XP for a few years and it has
ran everything very well. Games, programs, etc. I only went to XP cause
of the Hyper threading in the P4. If it wasn't for that, I'd go back to
2k. Use Advanced Server if you can get it. Otherwise, Professional is an
excellent choice.