PC almost at standstill

Old June 4th 13, 09:54 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default PC almost at standstill

This follows on from my post describing a boot up failure, as the subject
heading of that is now misleading.

The consistent state now is that my Athlon XP 1800 PC takes about half an
hour to boot! And then every operation is similarly glacial. For example,
after double clicking My Computer it takes about 10 minutes for it to be
displayed. So even the simplest checks have become almost impossible. I
cannot even take screenshots to post here and have resorted to a camera.

Directly after powering up I see this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P1800-64MB.jpg
That '64.0 MB' puzzles me. Is it unrelated to the total RAM, which is 1 GB
as shown here later in the boot-up process?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tProblem-1.jpg

FWIW here is the RAM itself which I removed and replaced:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...XP1800-RAM.jpg

Here is a BIOS screen that appeared because I got fed up waiting 15
minutes for the PC to close itself down.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...800-BIOS-2.jpg
Can someone explain that entry about OS/2 Onboard Memory please? Anything
else significant about the info displayed?

When I continued from there to my get to my XP desktop eventually I wanted
to check that my reversing the weird change of drive letter I described
earlier (from its original D to J) had been implemented. So some 15 mins
later I had this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...t-Puzzle-1.jpg
As you see, D is present but has no info!

I gave up on trying to get back to Disk Mgmt tonight. Will try in the
morning.

I did also manage to get DiskKeeper open (no photo) which did not show D
at all as one of its volumes.

Task Manager showed this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P1800-TM-1.jpg
I don't understand why Winlogon is taking a third of CPU resource about an
hour after starting the bootup and maybe 30 mins after the desktop was
assembled.

In short, I'm now dead in the water and getting desperate! Any suggestions
would be warmly welcomed please.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old June 4th 13, 10:12 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

First priority now, is the backup. Everything else can wait.

And, no more rebooting. Obviously.

Plug in an external USB hard drive, and do your backup.
That way, you don't have to shut down the computer.

If you don't have any backup software, install this. See
the green icon, bottom of left column, for the download.
Don't even stop to make the rescue CD. Just back up
everything your Maxtors are threatening. Macrium Reflect
uses VSS, and can copy C: without rebooting (like Ghost would
do). You can prepare the (Linux based) recovery CD on another
machine.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Once you have the backup made, then your possibilities
are endless.

Good luck,
Paul
Old June 4th 13, 10:32 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Pen

On 6/4/2013 4:54 PM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

The first item is telling about the ram used for video.
The fourth item tells you that you have a problem with the
multiplier for the cpu. Check what its speed is supposed to
be and divide that by 133 to determine the correct multiplier.
Old June 4th 13, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David W. Hodgins

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:54:42 -0400, Terry Pinnell wrote:

I don't understand why Winlogon is taking a third of CPU resource about an
hour after starting the bootup and maybe 30 mins after the desktop was
assembled.

Might be http://www.processlibrary.com/direct...inlogin/25251/
Submit a copy to https://www.virustotal.com/en/ to confirm.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Old June 4th 13, 10:51 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul

Pen wrote:
[...]

Athlon XP 1800
133MHz 13x == 1533MHz
Looks OK to me.

******** Start - Table of multiplier info *********
Family Core P.R. Pkg CPU Cache Mult Core Tmax Power
Freq Clk Volts

XP Model 10 2200 (3200+) OPGA 200 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 60.4W
Barton 2100 (3000+) OPGA 200 512 10.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

XP Model 10 2167 (3000+) OPGA 166 512 13x 1.65V 85oC 58.4W
Barton 2083 (2800+) OPGA 166 512 12.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
1917 (2600+) OPGA 166 512 11.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
1833 (2500+) OPGA 166 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

XP Model 8 2167 (2700+) OPGA 166 256 13x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W
Thoroughbred 2083 (2600+) OPGA 166 256 12.5x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W

XP Model 8 2133 (2600+) OPGA 133 256 16x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W
Thoroughbred 2000 (2400+) OPGA 133 256 15x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W
CPU ID 0681 1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256 13.5x 1.60V 85oC 57.0W
1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.60V 90oC 56.3W
1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W
1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W ---
1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W

XP Model 8 1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256 13.5x 1.65V 85oC 61.7W
Thoroughbred 1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.60V 90oC 56.4W
CPU ID 0680 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.65V 90oC 54.7W
1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.60V 90oC 54.7W
1600 (1900+) OPGA 133 256 12x 1.50V 90oC 47.7W
1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.50V 90oC 46.3W ---
1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.50V 90oC 44.9W

XP Model 6 1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.75V 90oC 64.3W
Palomino 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.75V 90oC 62.5W
1600 (1900+) OPGA 133 256 12x 1.75V 90oC 60.7W
1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.75V 90oC 59.2W ---
1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.75V 90oC 57.4W
1400 (1600+) OPGA 133 256 10.5x 1.75V 90oC 56.3W
1333 (1500+) OPGA 133 256 10x 1.75V 90oC 53.8W

******** End - Table of multiplier info *********

Paul
Old June 4th 13, 11:46 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
RJK

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Terry Pinnell

The 64mb refers to the memory on your Nvidia graphics card, which is
seperate to your system RAM, so you probably swapped out your RAM for
nothing.
OS2 setting is fine, unless you're running OS2 !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2

After casting my eye through this thread, including Paul's excellent advice
regarding a prompt back-up,
....this appeared to be the most important issue. i.e. as a XP1800 based PC
is very old, in many ways, when it starts going tits-up, it's very important
to get all important, (to you), data backed out onto external media, (you
didn't mention if data loss was a concern).

When I tackle such older "IBM PC compatible" hardware, (if data loss is a
concern), I first pull the hard disk/s and pop them into an external hd
docking station, and back out all data directories, and sweep for all common
user created filetypes etc. and back them out as well.

So, you shouldn't really be trying to problem solve this PC until it's
backed up.

It sounds a little as though your hardware needs a thorough "going over,"
and preferably, your data restored to a much newer and robust system.

regards, Richard

Old June 5th 13, 01:05 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob F

Terry Pinnell wrote:
This follows on from my post describing a boot up failure, as the
subject heading of that is now misleading.

The consistent state now is that my Athlon XP 1800 PC takes about
half an hour to boot! And then every operation is similarly glacial.

Things I might try.

1. Run the disk manufacturers disk check program on every drive.

2. Run Memtest+ overnight. Add more memory if the motherboard allows.

3. Check that the drives each are running in the proper DMA mode.

4. I've seen Anti-spyware programs drastically slow down PCs. Remove/disable any
anti-spyware programs and all but one anti-virus programs. If that doesn't do
it, try running consecutively, at least one or two other carefully chosen such
programs and do full scans on all drives. Then remove extra such programs. You
don't want duplication here on any continuous basis.

Old June 5th 13, 07:45 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Paul wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

I already have most of the data from this old PC D on my main PC, so b/u
isn't a major concern. My major priority is to get the PC running again,
at normal speed.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old June 5th 13, 07:47 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

"David W. Hodgins" wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 16:54:42 -0400, Terry Pinnell wrote:

I don't understand why Winlogon is taking a third of CPU resource about an
hour after starting the bootup and maybe 30 mins after the desktop was
assembled.

Might be http://www.processlibrary.com/direct...inlogin/25251/
Submit a copy to https://www.virustotal.com/en/ to confirm.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Thanks David but that's winlogin.exe, not winlogon.exe.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old June 5th 13, 07:47 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Paul wrote:

Pen wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think there's no problem there.