overheating help

Old February 13th 04, 03:36 PM
Kevin Lawton

do_not_spam_me wrote:
| "Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
|
|| 2) Try blowing with your mouth into free air, and then
|| at or through an empty PC case fan grille. Notice how much
|| noise the air makes as it impinges on grille. Notice also
|| how not all of the air you are blowing passes through
|| the grille, but bounces off the metal instead.
||| It's good that you're not one of those people who obsesses
||| about cooling for the sake of cooling and who performs
||| proper systematic testing and doesn't use ad hoc methods
||| that are subject to great bias.
|| In this case I was illustrating a point that the PC case
|| fan grilles increase noise by causing turbulance as they
|| disturb the passage of air from the fan. Precise empirical
|| measurement was not absolutely necessary in order to
|| demonstrate the principle,
||| In the second part I was addressing heat, not noise, and
||| so were you, unlike your quote.
|
|| Well, fine.
|| I was also addressing the problem of the greater noise
|
| No, you were again addressing the problem of heat, and your claimed
| 45C case temperature is rather bad, even without a case fan, unless
| the room is 35C or hotter.

In some of my previous posts in this thread I discussed the issue of the
noise made fans and the roaring or whooshing sound made by turbulant air.
This is relevent within the broad subject area of PC cooling as the most
commonplace method of cooling a PC is by moving air through it by using one
or more fans and fans make noise. Many people dislike the noise made by fans
and would prefer to take steps to avoid it if possible. Creating less
turbulence is one way of bringing down this noise to a degree, which is why
I intriduced it. Creating turbulence will not increase airflow - it will act
to diminish it to a small extent.
I also introduced into this discussion the concept of drawing the air into
the PC case via a filter in order to cut down on the dust and dirt deposited
on heatsinks and fans - as this can reduce their efficiency.
Given that the OP has reported back that, since cleaning inside his PC and
ensuring an adequate airflow, the overheating problem has been alleviated to
a degree this shows that it was relevent to include dust and airflow in the
discussion.
Unlike yourself, I was attempting to assist the OP to resolve their
overheating problem by making use of my experience of building and
maintaining PCs over the past two decades.
At no time did I claim to have a case temperature of 45C, though I can
agree with you that a PC is likely to run hotter in a hotter environment.
Kevin.

Old February 14th 04, 02:01 AM
do_not_spam_me

"Kevin Lawton" wrote in message ...

I was also addressing the problem of the greater noise

No, you were again addressing the problem of heat, and
your claimed 45C case temperature is rather bad, even
without a case fan, unless the room is 35C or hotter.

In some of my previous posts in this thread I discussed
the issue of the noise made fans and the roaring or whooshing
sound made by turbulant air.

The originator of this thread was addressing heat, as did you in your
first reply to me.

Unlike yourself, I was attempting to assist the OP to resolve their
overheating problem by making use of my experience of building and
maintaining PCs over the past two decades.

You must have missed my reply to him, where I told him to try
reversing his case fan and quit running his computer with the side
cover removed. I also asked him why his CPU was cooler when the case
was hotter. But you're right that when I replied to him, unlike you I
didn't make use of YOUR 20 years of experience of maintaining and
"building" PCs.

At no time did I claim to have a case temperature of 45C,
though I can agree with you that a PC is likely to run hotter
in a hotter environment.

You wrote, to Steven Campbell:

I am currently using a 1.5 GHz Athlon Thunderbird to write
this and my reported temps are CPU = 60, m/board = 45.

Since few motherboard temperature sensors can be relocated far from
the motherboard, without soldering, their readings are usually
considered the case temperatures.
Old February 14th 04, 05:48 PM
Kevin Lawton

do_not_spam_me wrote:
| "Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
|
|| I was also addressing the problem of the greater noise
||| No, you were again addressing the problem of heat, and
||| your claimed 45C case temperature is rather bad, even
||| without a case fan, unless the room is 35C or hotter.
|| In some of my previous posts in this thread I discussed
|| the issue of the noise made fans and the roaring or whooshing
|| sound made by turbulant air.
|
| The originator of this thread was addressing heat, as did you in your
| first reply to me.
|
|| Unlike yourself, I was attempting to assist the OP to resolve their
|| overheating problem by making use of my experience of building and
|| maintaining PCs over the past two decades.
|
| You must have missed my reply to him, where I told him to try
| reversing his case fan and quit running his computer with the side
| cover removed. I also asked him why his CPU was cooler when the case
| was hotter. But you're right that when I replied to him, unlike you I
| didn't make use of YOUR 20 years of experience of maintaining and
| "building" PCs.

Yes, of course not !
I mentioned it only to mark the point that my suggestions were based on
practical experience of solving and avoiding such problems - checking the
simplest and most obvious things first can be a very effective fault finding
method, particularly when dealing remotely and with limted data. Like I
said, I was trying to help the OP, not criticising anyone.

|| At no time did I claim to have a case temperature of 45C,
|| though I can agree with you that a PC is likely to run hotter
|| in a hotter environment.
|
| You wrote, to Steven Campbell:

Well, it sort seemed appropriate, as he was the OP with the overheating
problem.

|| I am currently using a 1.5 GHz Athlon Thunderbird to write
|| this and my reported temps are CPU = 60, m/board = 45.
|
| Since few motherboard temperature sensors can be relocated far from
| the motherboard, without soldering, their readings are usually
| considered the case temperatures.

Given the prevailing points being made at that time by another poster to
this list concerning the temperature of the air inside the case and how a
large number of fans should normally be unneccessary to ensure sufficient
airflow for adequate cooling, I took your 'case temperature of 45C' comment
to refer to the inside air temperature. The 45 degrees temperature I had
noted on my own system (for comparison) was that reported as the temperature
of the northbridge chip on the motherboard. Okay, I know that this would be
the temperature of the outside of the IC package, and not of the actual
silicon core, but it served to illustrate the point well enough. A PC case
internal air temperature of 45C - a tad hotter than a cup of tea - would be
approx 25C above a normal room temperature and indicate a very serious
airflow problem indeed.
Kevin.

Overheating CPU Gilgamesh General 7 November 27th 04 04:50 PM
overheating problem with AMD XP 3200+ Roman Hartmann Overclocking 8 August 9th 04 08:43 PM
K7N2G-L and cpu overheating Andy C Overclocking AMD Processors 10 March 17th 04 02:44 PM
CPU overheating on A7v333 sab Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 4th 03 12:51 PM
overheating suspected - intermittent sys crashes missmuffy33 Overclocking AMD Processors 14 September 3rd 03 06:02 PM