overheating help

Old February 10th 04, 10:11 PM
Steven Campbell

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I built my daughter a PC last year and have never been able to solve the
overheating problems.
It is an Athlon 1400 on a ASUS a7v8x board, 256Mb, CDrw & DVD the case
dimensions are (DxWxH)mm 476x185x443 (cheap case from)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...vd19wcm9kdWN0X
292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=44509
It has a Thermaltake Silent boost with Arctic Silver 3
An exhaust fan. I cut out the mesh on the back of the case and installed a
wire grill as I felt previously the hot air was bouncing off the mesh and
back into the PC.
I have an 80mm fan at the front / bottom but when I have it running it
increases the CPU temp and decreases the Motherboard temp.
Disconnected it decreases CPU and increases MB temps.
MBM shows the temps with the bottom fan connected sometimes as high as CPU
70, MB 32 not under full load.
With the fan disconnected it shows CPU 62, MB 40 again not under load.
This is all with the side of the case partly off.
The PC is in the corner of the room which is really the only place she can
have it. I don't think that is helping as the hot air has no where to go.
The set up was improved after I added the Silent Boost to it just before
Christmas but gradually it is getting worse. It has now got to the point
where it freezes occasionally.
The fans are all blowing the way they should and the Silent Boost is
positioned correctly.

Can anyone give me some ideas? I thought maybe the cheap case wasn't

helping
but am reluctant to shelling out a lot of cash to find it doesn't help. If
it was guaranteed then it would be no problem.

cheers

Steven.

Thanks for all the advice to my problem above. To be honest I didn't know
where to start as a lot of the advice was conflicting.
To clarify a couple of points some posts brought up:
The temps I had quoted were measured using Mother Board Monitor 5 and
checked with the temps stated in the BIOS. The temps were also just running
temps for the PC i.e. The PC was put on and left to run with no programs
running apart from the processes in the background. It hasn't been
overclocked. It is a standard 1400 AMD

I opened the PC up and the inside was particularly dusty. The heatsink on
top of the CPU had a layer of fluff over it. The CPU fan itself was working
and seated properly.

The space for the front fan was just little holes punched out the case so I
opened this up into one big hole slightly smaller than the 80mm fan.
I took everything out the case, MB, CPU, DVD, CD, fans etc and cleaned them
and the case. I also took the power supply to bits and cleaned it. It only
has one fan (extractor)(it is AMD Approved). I put the CPU back using
Arctic Silver 3 with the minimum amount possible just covering the chip.
Re-seated the Thermaltake Silent Boost correctly and resembled everything
else. I also tidied the wires and re-routed the sound wires from the DVD, CD
as they were previously running between the Power Supply and the CPU (I
don't think that would have made any difference as they are so thin anyway).
I then reversed the front fan so it was an exhaust fan, as suggested in a
middle rear (Just opposite the CPU). I also made sure that the case
overhung the board that it sat on on the floor so air could escape from the
front.

Switched it on and I was getting average running temps of MB 36 CPU 61.
I then changed the front fan to be blowing air in and average temps are now
MB 30 CPU 57.
I haven't tested with the front fan disconnected yet. I don't think that
would help any!

At least the temps are a lot better than before. But if anyone can suggest
something else to bring it down further, it would be much appreciated.

Steven.

Old February 10th 04, 11:53 PM
Kevin Lawton

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:
|| It is possible to have too many fans. One optional case fan I added
|| in started making a lot of noise, so I removed it, and the effect on
|| PC temp was virtually nil.
|
| Your airflow (cfm) thro the case was sufficient for the internal
| wattage, so adding more cfm had no benefit for that environmental
| temperature.
|
| In summer, under full load, you might see a difference since the
| delta-T between the environmental air & heatsink is less. It's quite
| small though since the heatsink is /still/ much hotter than the
| environmental air.
|
| Biggest problem with PC cases is their often crude punched grill,
| and the even cruder air intake at the front in the plastic fascia. You
| have 1900mm^2 or less hole, and 9000mm^2 min from 2x 80mm.
| Fitting a side-front grill can make a big difference to cfm, so you
| can use quieter fans for the same or even lower temperature.
|
| PCs will become a pain when we hit 200W/CPU, re heavy duty
| dual-CPU graphics box, multi-HD, PSU - ie, 600W room heater.

Let us hope that improvements in CPU design and manufacturing technology
will keep this more easily manageable.
Not so long ago, AMD brought about an improvement in this area by
designing their CPUs to run at lower core voltages than before. This lead to
lower power consumption and thus less heat dissipated. For example, the
Thunderbird core used in 1.0 and 1.4 GHz Athlons consumes more power, and
therefore produces more heat, than the Thoroughbred core used in the XP2400.
Kevin.

Old February 11th 04, 12:13 AM
Kevin Lawton

Steven Campbell wrote:
> [...]
| think that would have made any difference as they are so thin
| anyway). I then reversed the front fan so it was an exhaust fan, as
| suggested in a previous post. So I had 1 exhaust at the lower front
| and 1 exhaust at the middle rear (Just opposite the CPU). I also
| made sure that the case overhung the board that it sat on on the
| floor so air could escape from the front.
|
| Switched it on and I was getting average running temps of MB 36 CPU
| 61.
| I then changed the front fan to be blowing air in and average temps
| are now MB 30 CPU 57.
| I haven't tested with the front fan disconnected yet. I don't think
| that would help any!
|
| At least the temps are a lot better than before. But if anyone can
| suggest something else to bring it down further, it would be much

Steven,
Glad to hear that you have alleviated the problem and brought the running
temperatures down to something a little more reasonable. I would suggest
that with your current fan arrangement - front intake, rear exhaust and
power supply you should be getting more than adequate airflow through the PC
case. I am currently using a 1.5 GHz Athlon Thunderbird to write this and my
reported temps are CPU = 60, m/board = 45.
Given that you have now made sure that the HSF is correctly mounted on the
CPU, cleaned away the dust build-up (which can't possibly have been helping)
and made sure you have a more than adequate airflow, I would suggest that
you have gone about as far as you reasonably can without major changes which
might bring about little further benefit.
The fact that you are running a similar system to this one, at slightly
lower temperatures, and this one is perfectly stable and reliable - even
when running continuously for several days - leads me to suggest that you
have no further cause for concern.
Two points I would suggest you attend to:
1) Given the dust build-up you discovered, it would be worthwhile
periodically inspecting the inside of the PC case and cleaning away dust as
'preventative maintenance. Except in a very dusty environment, you should
find that once every six to twelve months is sufficiently frequent for this.
2) Set the CPU and m/board temperature alarms on the system (in the BIOS,
if provided) to a reasonable level above your current running temperatures
to alert you of any future problem. I would suggest that ten degrees above
the current temps would be a sensible point to have the alarms set.
Kevin.

Old February 11th 04, 12:37 AM
BigH2K

[...]

Having re-read you OP it occurred to me that your Asus MB could be a
contributing factor. I once had a 1.4 Athlon on an Asus board and found it
very difficult to cool because Asus deliberately overclock their boards at
manufacture by setting the vcore slightly high.

At the time I was having my problem there was no BIOS release for it
available that allowed an appopriate decrease in the vcore setting and so I
returned the board to Ebuyer who tested it and agreed that there was little
that could be done.

I know it's already been suggested somewhere in the quagmire of "answers"
that your post created but you don't mention having tried it, it could be
the root of your evil problem. Don't know whether I'm right in saying that
the 1.4 Tbird was the worst heat producer of them all?

Your system temps are exactly what I would have expected now BTW and Asus
MBs have never had a good rep for having the most accurate sensors either.

---

Old February 11th 04, 08:52 AM
do_not_spam_me

"Kevin Lawton" wrote in message ...

2) Try blowing with your mouth into free air, and then
at or through an empty PC case fan grille. Notice how much
noise the air makes as it impinges on grille. Notice also
how not all of the air you are blowing passes through
the grille, but bounces off the metal instead.

It's good that you're not one of those people who obsesses
about cooling for the sake of cooling and who performs
proper systematic testing and doesn't use ad hoc methods
that are subject to great bias.

In this case I was illustrating a point that the PC case
fan grilles increase noise by causing turbulance as they
disturb the passage of air from the fan. Precise empirical
measurement was not absolutely necessary in order to
demonstrate the principle,

In the second part I was addressing heat, not noise, and so were you,
unlike your quote. Temperature can be measured accurately with a
thermometer placed in front of the fan.
Old February 11th 04, 10:46 PM
Kevin Lawton

do_not_spam_me wrote:
| "Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
|
|| 2) Try blowing with your mouth into free air, and then
|| at or through an empty PC case fan grille. Notice how much
|| noise the air makes as it impinges on grille. Notice also
|| how not all of the air you are blowing passes through
|| the grille, but bounces off the metal instead.
||| It's good that you're not one of those people who obsesses
||| about cooling for the sake of cooling and who performs
||| proper systematic testing and doesn't use ad hoc methods
||| that are subject to great bias.
|| In this case I was illustrating a point that the PC case
|| fan grilles increase noise by causing turbulance as they
|| disturb the passage of air from the fan. Precise empirical
|| measurement was not absolutely necessary in order to
|| demonstrate the principle,
|
| In the second part I was addressing heat, not noise, and so were you,
| unlike your quote. Temperature can be measured accurately with a
| thermometer placed in front of the fan.

Well, fine.
I was also addressing the problem of the greater noise which will be
generated if a fan is forcing air through a grille of small holes instead of
a fan-sized open gap. Do you really need precise measurements when you can
clearly hear the difference ?
Kevin.

Old February 12th 04, 08:32 PM
Steven Campbell

[...]

Kevin, thanks for the advice.
I think the reason it was so dusty in the first place was due to me removing
the side of the PC and letting some cool air in. It may have helped in the
short term but long term just caked the inside with dust!!!

cheers

Steven.

Old February 12th 04, 09:09 PM
Steven Campbell

[...]

I missed that suggestion!!!
I had a look in the BIOS and the CPU Vcore was set to AUTO 1.75 so I
changed it to manual but the lowest it could go was 1.75 so I re-set it to
the AUTO setting.

Further on in the BIOS under Hardware Monitor the Vcore Bios was being
displayed as between 1.82 and 1.84 yet in a previous screen as stated above
it was set to "Auto 1.75"

Not knowing anything about Overclocking, would reducing the Vcore reduce the
speed of the CPU?

cheers

Steven.

Old February 12th 04, 09:23 PM
BigH2K

[...]

This is exactly the problem I had, have you checked to see if there is an
updated BIOS available that may allow you to lower this? There may even be
an option to set vcore by jumpers on the board, have a look in your manual.

Lowering the vcore will not effect the speed of the cpu.

---

Old February 13th 04, 05:14 AM
do_not_spam_me

[...]

No, you were again addressing the problem of heat, and your claimed
45C case temperature is rather bad, even without a case fan, unless
the room is 35C or hotter.

Overheating CPU Gilgamesh General 7 November 27th 04 04:50 PM
overheating problem with AMD XP 3200+ Roman Hartmann Overclocking 8 August 9th 04 08:43 PM
K7N2G-L and cpu overheating Andy C Overclocking AMD Processors 10 March 17th 04 02:44 PM
CPU overheating on A7v333 sab Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 4th 03 12:51 PM
overheating suspected - intermittent sys crashes missmuffy33 Overclocking AMD Processors 14 September 3rd 03 06:02 PM