System Won't Boot With Connect3D 9600XT

Old February 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Andrew Manore

Default System Won't Boot With Connect3D 9600XT

A newly purchased Connect3D ATI Radeon 9600 XT is not booting in the
AGP slot of my AOpen AX3SP Pro motherboard (Intel 815EP chipset).

The AGP slot is 4X compliant, so it should be working with this card.
The card requires a 1.5V 4X or 0.8V 8X AGP slot.

The AX3SP Pro is equipped with "Dr. BIOS", or somesuch, which notifies
the user of problems with a (rather lousy) synthesized voice. It tells
me: "Your AGP may have a problem". The monitor doesn't appear to be
receiving a signal.

There is only one relevant BIOS settings for AGP; an option to set the
slot at 'Auto' or '2X'. The slot is currently set at 'Auto'.

This is the second 9600 XT I've received from this manufacturer. I had
the same problems with the first one, which caused me to return it for
an exchange.

I've had a Radeon 9000 and an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 installed in this
AGP slot, and both worked fine. As far as I know, the FX 5200 requires
at least a 4X AGP slot.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--
Andrew Manore

Old February 13th 04, 06:13 PM
Nystagmus

"Andrew Manore" wrote in message
[...]

Did you uninstall all previous video drivers?
Did you clear the BIOS? For some reason I have had to clear the BIOS
whenever I installed new hardware.

Nystagmus

---

Old February 13th 04, 06:22 PM
Rojo Habe

Is the 9600 the renamed 8500 range? There was a problem with the 8500DV
where the machine wouldn't boot unless you disabled the firewire port. If
your card has a firewire port you can test this. There'll be a little red
jumper link on the card. If the PC boots with this link removed, there's
the problem. In most cases this was solved by a BIOS update for the
motherboard (or you could just leave the jumper off if you don't need to use
the firewire port).

If your card has a firewire port, look into this. I'm sorry I don't have a
picture of the card to show you where the link is; maybe someone else on
this board could supply this?

Old February 14th 04, 12:34 AM
Andrew Manore

"Nystagmus" wrote in message

Did you uninstall all previous video drivers?
Did you clear the BIOS? For some reason I have had to clear the BIOS
whenever I installed new hardware.

I uninstalled the previous card's drivers, and reset all BIOS settings
to setup defaults. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I tried removing
the CMOS battery and unplugging the system, but still no results with
the card.

I'd try the card in a different motherboard, but I don't have one with
a compliant AGP slot in working condition.

--
Andrew Manore

Old February 14th 04, 04:34 PM
Randy

Make the card snaps in completely and if the card has a power plug that it's
plugged into the power supply. I'm sure you did this but it always helps to
double check.

Randy