A sign of the times

Old December 28th 11, 05:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JMc

Default A sign of the times

Three days after Christmas and the Dell Usenet site has practically no
traffic. Was Dell's holiday business so bad? Did Dell ship flawless,
question free product this year? Or, is Usenet withering as a vehicle and
source seeking assistance online?

Old December 28th 11, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:03:30 -0500, "JMc"
wrote:

Three days after Christmas and the Dell Usenet site has practically no
traffic. Was Dell's holiday business so bad? Did Dell ship flawless,
question free product this year? Or, is Usenet withering as a vehicle and
source seeking assistance online?

I believe the latter. If you look at the stats for this newsgroup,
the posts are decreasing each year as a total.

I use the web a lot but I still like Usenet too but I'm a dinosaur now
so don't go by me :-(
Old December 28th 11, 08:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

"Did Dell ship flawless, question free product this year?"

What do you mean by "...this year"?

Dell /always/ ships flawless, question free products. Just take a look
at how many OT posts there are in this forum...about HP computers,
Lenovo computers, about devices that aren't even computers. There's just
not enough problems with Dell products to keep a newsgroup going.

As far as being "question free"...well, there's hardly a need for
questions when Dell's technical support has all the answers right there
in their scripts. And if English is not your first language, they've got
that covered too.

But more likely: Usenet is dying a slow death, killed off my spammers
and web forums.

Daddy

Old December 28th 11, 09:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

JMc wrote:
Three days after Christmas and the Dell Usenet site has practically no
traffic. *Was Dell's holiday business so bad? *Did Dell ship flawless,
question free product this year? Or, is Usenet withering as a vehicle
and source seeking assistance online?

I have a computer forum...and there is a huge fallout there too! I've
even invited ppl from here (they will be nameless, ah-hem!) and they
won't be bothered.
I wouldn't have answered the OP...but you guys, Ok!
Old December 29th 11, 05:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding[_5_]

wrote:

Three days after Christmas and the Dell Usenet site has practically no
traffic. Was Dell's holiday business so bad? Did Dell ship flawless,
question free product this year? Or, is Usenet withering as a vehicle and
source seeking assistance online?

I believe the latter. If you look at the stats for this newsgroup,
the posts are decreasing each year as a total.

I use the web a lot but I still like Usenet too but I'm a dinosaur now
so don't go by me :-(

Well, same here and same here.
Old December 30th 11, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

wrote:

Three days after Christmas and the Dell Usenet site has practically no
traffic. Was Dell's holiday business so bad? Did Dell ship flawless,
question free product this year? Or, is Usenet withering as a vehicle and
source seeking assistance online?

I believe the latter. If you look at the stats for this newsgroup,
the posts are decreasing each year as a total.

I use the web a lot but I still like Usenet too but I'm a dinosaur now
so don't go by me :-(

I heard Usenet was a dead dinosaur ten years ago! Maybe it's that.

If you want to find the crowds go to an Apple store. I made two visits to
an Apple store, my first in the fall and my second
four nights ago, and each time that place is packed. Packed with what? I'm
not sure, smart or dumb people, or people who think they are smart because
they own macs, I don't know. I'm still trying to figure them out. But it
was packed!

Old December 30th 11, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

wrote:

[...]

Apple types are "trendy". A stylish word for phoney. IMHO
Old December 31st 11, 12:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

wrote:

Apple types are "trendy". A stylish word for phoney. IMHO

You got the word right. The mall I went to is an upper scale. All the
men I saw were dressed like GQ magazine. lol. It was in
Carmel IN.

Old January 2nd 12, 05:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/28/2011 12:03 PM, JMc wrote:
Three days after Christmas and the Dell Usenet site has practically no
traffic. Was Dell's holiday business so bad? Did Dell ship flawless,
question free product this year? Or, is Usenet withering as a vehicle
and source seeking assistance online?

dell's value for the dollar and after sale service certainly leaves
something to be desired, but i don't that that is the reason why the
traffic is so light in this group. virtually every isp has stopped
providing usenet service to their users. few users are going out of
their way to find the free or paid alternatives.
computers are easier to recover these days, more people know someone
among their family or friends that can help them these days, and prices
of computers have become so cheap that it is often easier and more
economical to replace than repair.
also there are several good message boards like tom's hardware on the web.