WinXP Boot problems *sigh* - UPDATE - Help?

Old August 29th 03, 04:41 PM
Phrederik

Default WinXP Boot problems *sigh* - UPDATE - Help?

an update...

I disconnected my HDD's from the mainboard as well as my CDRW drive. I've
added a 2.6gig IDE drive as master on the secondary controller and started
installing Windows XP onto that drive. During the install I got another
BSOD. Trap was 0000007A - didn't get the rest. I also had problems copying
files during a previous install as I had set the CDRW as slave on the
secondary controller and figured the older IDE HDD didn't like the new CDRW.
Looks like I was wrong.

At this point the only real common parts a
- Same mainboard
- Same CPU
- SB Live still installed
- Same chassis

Everything else has been disconnected or swapped out.

What REALLY sucks is the mainboard is exactly 7 days past one year. I'm
pretty sure the ECS warranty is only one year, but I haven't checked it yet.

I *REALLY* want to be sure what is broken, but it's hard to tell with these
damn machines. I'm supposed to be buying a COMPLETELY NEW computer after
Christmas and don't want the expense of keeping this junk running. BLECH!

....anyhow, enough ranting. Any suggestions for what I should do folks?

Thanks!

"Phrederik" wrote in message
. ca...
Just looking for some ideas here...

The last few weeks my computer has occasionally had issues while booting.
When I have problems booting I usually get a BSOD before the Windows XP
"Welcome" screen appears. Once this happens, there is nothing I can do to
get the machine to boot. If I leave it for a while, it seems to fix

itself.
It's not a heat issue as this can happen at the first boot after the PC

has
been off for hours.

This happened about the same time as I added a Pioneer DVR-A05U DVD

writer.
I've since removed the drive from the picture and still have the same

issue.

My machine:
- ECS K7VTA3 v3 mainboard
- AMD Tbird 1.333Ghz CPU
- MSI Geforce 2GTS AGP video card
- SBLive! soundcard
- 2x256meg PC2700 DDR memory
- Antec 300wat PSU
- 2 x 60gig IDE hard drives (one Maxtor and one Seagate, I think) (each as
master on a RAID controller, in a RAID 1 array)
- LG 40x12x40 CDRW (Master on secondary IDE controller)
- Pioneer DVR-A05U DVD-R writer (Master on primary IDE controller)
- 3.5" floppy

At this point I've tried the following...
- Disconnected both CD drives from power and IDE controllers
- Tried running on each stick of memory by itself
- Change the power supply to a decent Antec 300 watt.
- New CPU heatsink and fan.
- Cleared the CMOS settings and configured for "failsafe" configuration

The caps look good on the mainboard. I have no problems with heat. The
machine has been running fine for months.

At this point I'm guessing that either my mainboard is failing, or one of

my
hard drives are acting up.

I plan on installing a HDD on one of the IDE channels and installing WinXP
there. Hopefully this will allow me to recover what is on the RAID drives.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how I can deal with this?

WinXP Boot problems *sigh* Martin General 2 August 30th 03 03:01 AM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
Have Problems - Are my components compatible? Sonars UK General 2 August 14th 03 04:49 AM
2 weird problems during boot sequence - help Firebird81 General 0 August 12th 03 03:50 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM