ForceWare, AMD64, and SP2

Old December 9th 04, 05:33 AM
Lachoneus

Default ForceWare, AMD64, and SP2

Whenever I exit UT2004, I get a BSOD. I've read that this is a known
issue with NVIDIA cards, Athlon 64 systems, and XP SP2. Is there a fix,
other than disabling DEP altogether?
Old December 9th 04, 03:04 PM
Caoimhghin

"Lachoneus" wrote in message
Whenever I exit UT2004, I get a BSOD. I've read that this is a known
issue with NVIDIA cards, Athlon 64 systems, and XP SP2. Is there a fix,
other than disabling DEP altogether?

You may want to try the 70.90 beta drivers available from WWW.guru3d.com
they don't cause a BSOD when exiting UT2004 on my machine. Alternatively,
if you alter the display from full screen to windowed in UT2004 prior to
exiting that doesn't cause a BSOD either.

Old December 9th 04, 07:58 PM
CapFusion

"Lachoneus" wrote in message
Whenever I exit UT2004, I get a BSOD. I've read that this is a known
issue with NVIDIA cards, Athlon 64 systems, and XP SP2. Is there a fix,
other than disabling DEP altogether?

Try to use this patch -
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/145559.shtml

Otherwise you will need to completely disable DEP in boot.ini
edit c:\boot.ini
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect
Save or backup your original before editing.

This might apply to AMD64 with the following - SP2 and 65.xx driver or
later.
You also can try a previous driver before 65.xx to see if you have issue
with BSOD when exist.

CapFusion,...

Old December 9th 04, 10:48 PM
Johnny B.

CapFusion is correct. If you do not know how to do it here are the
instructions:

1. Rick click on My Computer and select Properties.
2. Select the Advance tab.
3. Under Start-Up and Recovery, select the Settings button.
4. Select the Edit button for "To edit the startup options file manually.
This will open the boot.ini file in Notepad.
5. The line that says "/NoExecute=?????" is the line that you will need to
change.

Here is the differnt levels that ????? can be which are policy levels.

OptIn

(default configuration)
On systems with processors capable of hardware-enforced DEP, DEP is enabled
by default for limited system binaries and applications that "opt-in,"

With this option, only Windows system binaries are covered by DEP by
default.

OptOut
DEP is enabled by default for all processes. Users can manually create a
list of specific applications which do not have DEP applied using System in
Control Panel. IT Pros and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) can use the
Application Compatibility Toolkit to opt-out one or more applications from
DEP protection. System Compatibility Fixes ("shims") for DEP do take effect.

AlwaysOn
This provides full DEP coverage for the entire system. All processes always
run with DEP applied. The exceptions list for exempting specific
applications from DEP protection is not available. System Compatibility
Fixes ("shims") for DEP do not take effect. Applications which have been
opted-out using the Application Compatibility Toolkit run with DEP applied.

AlwaysOff
This does not provide any DEP coverage for any part of the system,
regardless of hardware DEP support. The processor does not run in PAE mode
unless the /PAE option is present in the boot entry.

6. You will want to change what you have to "/NoExecute=AlwaysOff".
7. Exit and save the file, Reboot and now you should be able to use other
driver then 61.77 and not get the BSOD.