Nvidia's 'Nalu' vs ATI's 'Ruby'

Old April 16th 04, 06:24 PM
duralisis

Default Nvidia's 'Nalu' vs ATI's 'Ruby'

I think it has a lot to do with NVidia's developer relations. They seem
to use these to sell the myriad of technologies they develop and propose
to the ARB board. The devs want to actually put techniques like Cg
(when it was new) and "Ultra Shadow" into practical application.

Asestar wrote:
Well, Nvidia has whole team devoted to making demos. ATI has just a few
persons who do a lot of other things as well, so yeah. But think Nvidia has
to pay demo develop teams pay from their graphiccard sales, hence the high
prices

"duralisis" wrote in message

NV55 wrote:

http://karpo.org/images/Dunno/Ruby.jpg

Nvidia's GeForce 6800 (NV40) 'Nalu' demo consists of 300,000 polygons.
very very impressive ****!

ATI's Radeon X800 (R420) 'Ruby' demo consists of only 80,000 polygons.
however it is also rendering a background with other elements. closer
to what would be in an actual game.

now, console gamers: keep in mind, whatever ATI has been able to come
up with at this point ( the R420 / Radeon X800) is a stepping stone
to what they'll be able to have in 2005 for Xbox Next, and in 2006 for
GCNext

Nvidia's characters seem to have more "life" to them, more subtle
nuances and personality. ATI's always seem flat and "anime" like.

Old April 17th 04, 08:33 PM
JLC

"Asestar" a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o wrote in message
I mean with so realistic graphics, games just might get a new dimension to
them.

I can remember countless games where i'm supposed to protect someone /
rescue a hostage. Only those ill-fated moron "victums" were so stupid or

bad
looking that i ended up replaying the level, just because I shot them
myself.

One such example is Soldier Of Fortune 2 , single player campaign. I still
can't forget those horribly big/terrified (or sometimes missing...) eyes

of
hostages I was suppose to protect

It's just to bad that we are probably not going to see any of this latest
technology for a long time in our PC games. It's always cracks me up when a
new demo like Nalu comes out and everyone goes nuts and starts taking about
how great the new games are going to be. The demos are just that, tech demos
to show off what the cards can do. That sure doesn't translate into us
gamers actually seeing any of this stuff in our games. Think about how long
the "Dawn" has been around, or any of the cool looking ATI demos for that
matter. Do we have any games yet that look anything as good as say ATI's
"Nature" demo? Sure we have "Farcry" that looks great, but it's also killing
off most mid level PC's. And it is a long way from what some of the 2 year
plus demos look like. The problem is that for few game makers that are not
afraid to push the envelop, there's many more that want to sell as many
games as they can as cheaply as possible. So we are left playing games that
still are built around 4 year old code. JLC