Should I go Dual Core or Quad Core? Intel C2 DUO E6850 vs. Quad-Core Q6600

Old January 4th 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bob Fry

Default Should I go Dual Core or Quad Core? Intel C2 DUO E6850 vs. Quad-Core Q6600

"M" == Matt writes:

M Will all applications for Windows eventually become
M multi-threaded and fully utilise a quad core setup?

Sure. About the time Windows itself becomes stable and bug-free.

What sort of apps are you running? At the moment, off-hand I think
only very specialized parallelized, shared-memory numerical apps will
truly take advantage of multiple cores. Or if you are running several
apps at a time that use cpu then multiple cores will help. Otherwise
I'd go for the faster clock rate.
--
The citizen who sees his society's democratic clothes being worn out
and does not cry it out, is not a patriot, but a traitor.
Old January 4th 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"M" == Matt writes:

M Will all applications for Windows eventually become
M multi-threaded and fully utilise a quad core setup?

Sure. About the time Windows itself becomes stable and bug-free.

What sort of apps are you running? At the moment, off-hand I think
only very specialized parallelized, shared-memory numerical apps will
truly take advantage of multiple cores. Or if you are running several
apps at a time that use cpu then multiple cores will help. Otherwise
I'd go for the faster clock rate.
--
The citizen who sees his society's democratic clothes being worn out
and does not cry it out, is not a patriot, but a traitor.
~ Mark Twain

One area that well often benefit from some form of
distributed processing is, video processing. There
are many who wouldn't think of creating a "render
farm" but would be glad if they could have access
to some of the benefits of such a setup. A Quad-
core approach may just match the scale and needs
of the home video Editor, at this time.

Luck;
Ken

Old January 4th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bob Fry

"M" == Matt writes:
M I'm definitely running several apps at once, which is what
M makes this decision tricky

Only if your apps *use the cpu actively* (say 30% or greater). At the
moment my machine has--let me check--76 processes, but I'm using only
about 5-10% total cpu time (on a dual-core AMD).
--
A terrorist is someone who has a bomb but can't afford an air force.
~ William Blum
Old January 4th 08, 05:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bob Fry

"KM" == Ken Maltby writes:

KM One area that well often benefit from some form of
KM distributed processing is, video processing.

One form of distributed processing used for many years is--using a
graphics card. For the home user, even video processing is better
handled using a good graphics card. Graphics processors are simply
very specialized vectorized processors, far more efficient than trying
to do the same thing with a general purpose cpu.

--
"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on
it?"

Old January 4th 08, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ken Maltby

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"KM" == Ken Maltby writes:

KM One area that well often benefit from some form of
KM distributed processing is, video processing.

One form of distributed processing used for many years is--using a
graphics card. For the home user, even video processing is better
handled using a good graphics card. Graphics processors are simply
very specialized vectorized processors, far more efficient than trying
to do the same thing with a general purpose cpu.

The video processing that I was referring to is not something
accomplished by the GPU of the normal video card. Except
for special hardware encoder cards ( Like Matrox's Real Time
cards) used during the editing and encoding of video; the software
editing programs rendering and encoding is done using the CPU or
CPUs when more than one is available. The time this adds to the
process of editing and authoring DVDs has always been a great
aggravation, and improvements in this area are very sought after.
The traditional approach, of those with the budget, has included
creation of a render farm, made up of many computers linked
together and all working on parts of the rendering or encoding
of the video.

Luck;
Ken

Old January 4th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Patrick Vervoorn

In article ,
Ken Maltby wrote:

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"KM" == Ken Maltby writes:

[...]

While I don't have extensive experience in this field, I _have_ 'recoded'
a few DVDs from 4.7+ GB to exactly 4.7GB using 'Nero Recode', and I
noticed this tool makes use of all 4 cores on my Q6600. So this is one
area where a Quad-Core will significantly outperform a Dual-Core CPU. See
also the equivalent Benchmarks on, for instance, Tom's Hardware site, the
CPU overview.

Beyond that, I thought long and hard about the Q6600 vs the E6850 since
they were, give or take a few EUROs, exactly the same price when I was
putting together my new 'Game-Rig'. After reading some articles about
upcoming 3D engines, I decided I would take the gamble of going for the
slower-clocked Quad-Core vs the Higher-Clocked Dual-Core. Time will tell
if I made the right choice, but the Q6600 is certainly a lot of (perhaps
theoretical) horsepower compared to an E6850.

So if a lot of these get sold and are in the market, developers will
notice this (see for instance Valve's periodical HW survey via Steam) and
hopefully make use of this extra horsepower.

Regards,

Patrick.
Old January 5th 08, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Baudouin de Spa

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"M" == Matt writes:

M Will all applications for Windows eventually become
M multi-threaded and fully utilise a quad core setup?

Sure. About the time Windows itself becomes stable and bug-free.

What sort of apps are you running? At the moment, off-hand I think
only very specialized parallelized, shared-memory numerical apps will
truly take advantage of multiple cores. Or if you are running several
apps at a time that use cpu then multiple cores will help. Otherwise
I'd go for the faster clock rate.
--
The citizen who sees his society's democratic clothes being worn out
and does not cry it out, is not a patriot, but a traitor.
~ Mark Twain

Have a look at this comparison:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q6600.html

and this one:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/int...spx?i=3038&p=8

Sorry if someone already mentionned this.

Old January 5th 08, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Patrick Vervoorn

In article ,
Baudouin de Spa wrote:

[snip]

Have a look at this comparison:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...uad-q6600.html

and this one:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/int...spx?i=3038&p=8

Sorry if someone already mentionned this.

Not that I know. It's also comparisons like these (but not these
specifcally) which I ran into when researching myself a few months ago,
that prompted me to buy a Q6600 instead of an E6850.

Of course, all depends on future games and/or game-engines supporting more
than 2 cores. If they do (and if the Q6600 has been sold a lot of times
that will help), then the Q6600 will be the better long-term choice than
the E6850.

Short-term the E6850 is probably the faster choice, so if you expect or
are planning to swap out your CPU in about half a year, then perhaps
that's the better choice.

Regards, Patrick.
Old January 7th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Matt[_6_]

Short-term the E6850 is probably the faster choice, so if you expect or
are planning to swap out your CPU in about half a year, then perhaps
that's the better choice.

I would say I'm open to swapping the CPU I get for a new one in the
future, but not that soon.

Basically, if I can overclock the Q6600 to 3.0GHz using a 1333MHz FSB,
using only the stock cooler, without reducing the life of the chip; then
I will get the Q6600.

Is this possible?

Kind Regards,

Matt
Old January 7th 08, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
John Weiss[_2_]

"Matt" wrote...

Basically, if I can overclock the Q6600 to 3.0GHz using a 1333MHz FSB, using
only the stock cooler, without reducing the life of the chip; then I will get
the Q6600.

Is this possible?

You'll have to monitor the temps and decide whether you can live with the
increase. You'll also have to find out if the system is stable at that speed.

While it is "possible," I believe there is significant risk that it might not
work well in any random system. If the case and gfx cooling are top-notch, you
may have a better chance of success. If either are marginal, leaving too much
heat inside the case, it probably won't work.

Also, remember that this is winter. If your room is significantly warmer in the
summer, factor that in your assessment...